Payback Rate Payback 2016

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

What would you rate Payback 2016?

Votes: 1 3.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 7.7%

Votes: 3 11.5%

Votes: 6 23.1%

Votes: 3 11.5%

Votes: 9 34.6%

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Indy

Banned
Reaction score
Payback had a massive potential to be a good show, but WWE gonna WWE and ruin it. 4/10

I love how the idea of some people on this site is that WWE doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. ''Man, this show was gonna be so good but that goddamn SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT company (NO, NOT WRESTLING, BUT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!) has ruined the fun of this show once again with their sports entertainment. Ugh, don't these idiots know anything about how to book a good WRESTLING show?!''

There are people that genuinely believe that fucking WhatCulture (!!!!) should just takeover the booking in WWE, because gosh, these writers who have worked on the biggest shows around the world don't know what they're doing! Just throw a little Adam in and a little King Ross and BANG! Best wrestling show ever. It doesn't work like that. Compared to the actual writing staff for WWE, WhatCulture's ''fantasy booking'' WWE storylines and PPV's would look like a mentally challenged 6th grader wrote them.

No Bálor? WHY? BECAUSE FUCK YOU, THAT'S WHY!

All in all, I'm never getting my hopes up for a main roster PPV again.

A guy that wasn't advertised for this show in any way didn't come to the show? Man, this sucks~!

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
I personally gave a 7.

I thought the corbin/ziggler match was ok, and I would have accepted the finish alot more if they had corbin start destroying ziggler after the loss. But it was a surprise to most people, good or bad.

Kalisto nearly got fucked up doing that flippity dippity move over the ropes about mid match. Anyone else catch that? Surprised they had him retain though.

That tag match injury really sucked. But glad it wasn't too severe. Looked alot worse when it happened though. Love the shit emoji on his ass too haha.

Zayn vs Owens was gold too. Great match, imo the right person won... these guys will have an epic feud over time.

And it was awesome that ko stayed out for commentary and they carried the action into the next match. Funny way to end that one also, figured miz would win too.

Ambrose vs Jericho was slow. Really slow. I skipped through most of it tbh.

Womens match was ok, fuckin shitty end though.

McMahon segment had such a great build up! To a rather flat decision. Although I'm very interested in how they're going to top each other on raw for the next couple months they better not waste this.

And the main event I liked. Figured reigns would win, and I wasn't overly upset about it.

Overall I enjoyed it and I'm really.glad things are picking up in the wwe.
Can't wait for raw tonight!

alexb

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
One more thing I neglected to mention in my post above: did Lilian Garcia simply have the night off or did her recent fuck ups have anything to do with her absence? Just found it odd, I guess...

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
Overall Rating: 5/10 due to the utter predictability of the whole show. The only parts that weren't predictable were an injury (I worried at his reaction that it was much worse than it's being reported that it was) and the unpredictable-because-it-was-stupid (maybe that should make it predictable, because....Vinny) ending to the Women's Title match. That ending coupled with the completely unnecessary overbooking of the main event really hurt the overall show.

WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match
Roman Reigns (c) def. AJ Styles
There were terrific in-ring performances from both men. It had a classic big guy vs. little guy feel, but Reigns sold well for Styles and played the babyface-in-peril role very well. Unfortunately, the audience hasn't been sold on Styles being a heel (and this was definitely going to be a problem in Chicago, where Styles was going to get cheered and Reigns was going to get booed by a segment of the audience anyway). The two faux endings gave it a very unnatural feel and, then, Roman Reigns won anyway with a "spear out of nowhere". This is the typical booking style that's gotten WWE bad reviews for several Cena-era main event matches over the last 12 years and it's good to see that they're consistently going to book this way going into the future.

WWE Women’s Championship Match
Charlotte (c) (with Ric Flair) def. Natalya (with Bret Hart)
What. The. Fuck. I mean, seriously...did we need another Montreal Screwjob rehash? Was that just completely necessary? Had everybody forgotten that it happened? The really sad part is that the match was entertaining and didn't need that finish to give these two women an excuse to have another match. Charlotte has grown as a big-game player and obviously was going to work extremely well with Natalya. This, sadly, is also a hallmark of recent WWE booking: a great match ruined by a shitty ending.

Dean Ambrose def. Chris Jericho
This was a decent little match that had so much potential to be something great. I don’t know if it’s Jericho slowing down. I don’t know if we’ve all just overrated Ambrose’s ability to actually wrestle because he’s such a great brawler. I just know that Ambrose and Jericho, who click so well together in promos, didn’t click in this match. Maybe it was a one-time thing and another match would be much better, but I’m almost afraid to find out.

Intercontinental Championship Match
The Miz (c) def. Cesaro
It’s sad when a match for the Intercontinental Championship comes across so poorly. This match had some good wrestling from Cesaro and some good heel tactics from Miz. The real saving grace, however, was the commentary of Kevin Owens. The distraction finish leads to a definite build to Extreme Rules and a fatal 4-way, which will, hopefully, be won by either Cesaro or Zayn, because they both need something.

Kevin Owens def. Sami Zayn
I’ll second (or third, or fourth, or whatever) the stance that seems to be the going thing that this was the match of the night. Owens and Zayn just have such great chemistry. It was a coin flip as to who “should” have won, but I know that the fans get to call themselves winners just for getting to watch this match.

WWE Tag Team Championship No. 1 Contenders’ Tournament Final, sponsored by Booty-O’s
Enzo Amore & Big Cass vs. The Vaudevillains ended in a No Contest (Enzo suffered a concussion)
I have nothing really to say about this match in review except to hope that Enzo recovers quickly and completely. It’s a scary moment when a legitimate, possibly very serious injury occurs during a wrestling match.

United States Championship Match (WWE Payback Kickoff)
Kalisto (c) def. Ryback
How important is the United States Title? It’s important enough for Kalisto and Ryback to put in a very good effort in a classic big man-little man matchup even though WWE doesn’t seem to think it’s important enough to include on the main show. I don’t have a problem with Kalisto retaining as I’m not a fan of Ryback’s “big guys are better” gimmick, which seems to be just a rehash of his “bully” gimmick…and Sheamus’ “big guys are better” gimmick or Vince McMahon’s “WBF guys are better than WWE guys” gimmick…which is kinda his real-life stance.

WWE Payback Kickoff
Dolph Ziggler def. Baron Corbin
This was a well-put-together match that had an odd ending. All I can say is that it does nothing for Corbin for him to lose this match and Dolph Ziggler’s career might be past saving at this point, so it doesn’t make sense to give him the duke…but they did it anyway.

wk

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I love how the idea of some people on this site is that WWE doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. ''Man, this show was gonna be so good but that goddamn SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT company (NO, NOT WRESTLING, BUT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!) has ruined the fun of this show once again with their sports entertainment. Ugh, don't these idiots know anything about how to book a good WRESTLING show?!''

There are people that genuinely believe that fucking WhatCulture (!!!!) should just takeover the booking in WWE, because gosh, these writers who have worked on the biggest shows around the world don't know what they're doing! Just throw a little Adam in and a little King Ross and BANG! Best wrestling show ever. It doesn't work like that. Compared to the actual writing staff for WWE, WhatCulture's ''fantasy booking'' WWE storylines and PPV's would look like a mentally challenged 6th grader wrote them.

A guy that wasn't advertised for this show in any way didn't come to the show? Man, this sucks~!

The sports entertainment aspect isn't the issue, it's the booking. And the show as a whole felt anticlimatic.

As for Bálor not showing up, he doesn't have to be advertised in order to appear at the event. LOL

It would've made perfect sense, considering the recent changes in NXT and the whole teasing of Anderson/Gallows/Styles alliance over the last 3-4 weeks. Perhaps they'll do it tonight, Idk.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
The sports entertainment aspect isn't the issue, it's the booking. And the show as a whole felt anticlimatic.

As for Bálor not showing up, he doesn't have to be advertised in order to appear at the event. LOL

It would've made perfect sense, considering the recent changes in NXT and the whole teasing of Anderson/Gallows/Styles alliance over the last 3-4 weeks. Perhaps they'll do it tonight, Idk.
Balor is not going up before the next takeover. He's facing Joe in a rematch

Indy

Banned
Reaction score

The wrestling was good. The one mistake WWE made was the finish to the women's championship match, and maybe booking the McMahon segment to be longer than it was needed to be.

You don't see my point, do you? How can you blame WWE for not debuting a guy in the main event of a PPV when he's not advertised in any way. You can't get mad at them for having a good main event match with a normal finish without any weird swerves/turns, just because you wanted a swerve or a turn and you wanted a guy that was not advertised to appear.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Balor is not going up before the next takeover. He's facing Joe in a rematch

I know he's facing Joe at the next TakeOver, but he didn't have to drop the title if he wasn't gonna show up on the main roster soon.

I mean, being the NXT champion didn't stop KO from showing up on the main roster and defeating Cena.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I know he's facing Joe at the next TakeOver, but he didn't have to drop the title if he wasn't gonna show up on the main roster soon.

I mean, being the NXT champion didn't stop KO from showing up on the main roster and defeating Cena.
I think you are looking at the booking the wrong way. Balor debuting last night would have been awful for the Extreme Rules build.

What went down last night built tension since it leaves the question open on if AJ is in cahoots with Anderson and Gallows or not.
Balor showing up would have pissed on that.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
The wrestling was good. The one mistake WWE made was the finish to the women's championship match, and maybe booking the McMahon segment to be longer than it was needed to be.

You don't see my point, do you? How can you blame WWE for not debuting a guy in the main event of a PPV when he's not advertised in any way. You can't get mad at them for having a good main event match with a normal finish without any weird swerves/turns, just because you wanted a swerve or a turn and you wanted a guy that was not advertised to appear.

Never said the wrestling wasn't good. Zayn vs KO and the ME was, in fact, some very good/great stuff, but other than those two matches, nothing else stood out.

Tbh, with the recent changes in NXT, I thought Bálor was going to show up and allign himself with Gallows and Anderson and turn on Styles. But then again, I didn't know they were planning on doing Styles vs Reigns II at ER. I thought they were giving us Bálor Club right off the bat.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
I think you are looking at the booking the wrong way. Balor debuting last night would have been awful for the Extreme Rules build.

What went down last night built tension since it leaves the question open on if AJ is in cahoots with Anderson and Gallows or not.
Balor showing up would have pissed on that.

That's a valid point, now that they've announced a rematch for ER. I just thought we were getting Bálor Club right off the bat. I guess it was too soon.

Trash Boat

Jobber
Reaction score
It seems like WWE have forgotten that there are no rope breaks in No DQ matches. Just my two cents.

alexb

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
What were her fuck ups?

Well, it's not something new with Lilan but recently she botched on several occasions while announcing the matches or introducing the wrestlers while they approach the ring. The latest was calling Big Cass bu his full name last week I think...

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Prince Balor, with your logic, I'm giving this show a 0/10 because Randy Orton didn't show up nor did The Undertaker. FUCK WWE FOR NOT HAVING THEM ON THE SHOW!