Rap Music Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi

Reaction score
Lil Wayne will take center stage at the MTV Video Music Awards next month. In a not-so-surprising move, the hip-hop heavyweight is among the performers at this year’s show.

While MTV has yet to make an official announcement or reveal nominees, Wayne’s manager Cortez Bryant spilled the beans to Billboard.com during a recent interview, also revealing that Tha Carter IV will be available on iTunes “immediately after” his VMA performance.
The long-awaited album is complete and Bryant confirmed appearances from Nas, Jadakiss, and Tech N9ne. “It’s done for the most part, [around] thirty songs [that] I need to carve down to twelve to sixteen, with four or so bonus tracks,” he explained.
The 2011 MTV Video Music Awards will air live from the Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE in downtown Los Angeles on August 28 at 9 p.m.

Kairi

Reaction score
e caught up with DJ Paul of hip-hop duo Three 6 Mafia at Pharrell’s Qream launch event in Beverly Hills. The Oscar winner, who’s currently promoting his album Pray for Forgiveness and VH1 show “Famous Food,” shared some of his favorite MCs right now.
“I like Waka Flocka. Waka Flocka’s one of my favorites,” Paul told Rap-Up TV. When asked what he thought of Waka’s possible retirement, he responded, “I remember when I was his age. You’re having too much fun. He won’t do it.”
He also has a soft spot for one particular female hip-hop star. “I like Nicki Minaj. She is my favorite female rapper of all time,” he boldly declared, weighing in on the ongoing Nicki vs. Lil’ Kim feud. “There’s enough money out here for everybody. Just have some fun with it. Both of them are good.”

Kairi

Reaction score
Foxy Brown: I'm No Diva (NY Post) w/ photoshoot <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

"That's not me," protests Inga Marchand, a k a Foxy Brown, when asked whether she's a diva.

It's 7 p.m. And she's three hours late to a photo shoot, accompanied by an entourage of six. They got pulled over for speeding and sweet-talked their way out of a ticket, explains her assistant. Then they ran into Jay-Z and chilled for a while, says Brown's fiancée.

And now Foxy is feeling edgy because she hasn't eaten all day. She asks for a cheese panini, grilled salmon and a side of fresh fruit. Brown forgets about the fruit when she notices a pair of purple Louboutins she chooses to wear for the shoot.

"The Foxy character and Inga Marchand are two different people," she continues. "My fiancé calls me Inga. No one around me calls me Foxy. I go to church every Sunday. I go to Bible study every Friday night. I'm saved."

It wasn't always that way.

Though her platinum-selling first album, "Ill Na Na," made her one of Brooklyn's most famous daughters, Foxy has lately been in the news mostly for her run-ins with the law, tangling with manicurists and posing for photo shoots in prison garb. Just this week, she appeared in Brooklyn Supreme Court to face charges of violating a restraining order and allegedly baring her bum at her neighbor.

But when the judge threw the case out, Foxy faced -- for the first time in many years -- a clean slate, a chance to put her legal woes behind her and trade Page Six for the music pages. Foxy Brown is ready for a comeback.

What she isn't doing is forgiving and forgetting.

"The mooning thing bothered me more than anything else in the past -- because I'm a lady," says Brown, 31.

Brown showed up in court last week with her attorneys, Salvatore Strazzullo and Ikesha Al Shabazz, ready to plead not guilty to flashing her underwear and bum last July. The defense was prepared to discredit the story by proving Brown was going commando in a tight dress that night -- but the neighbor refused to testify, and the charges were thrown out.

The ordeal mortifies Brown nonetheless. "I'm cut from a different cloth," she says. "I would never moon someone. I was raised in a good family."

Brown was raised by her mother, a teacher, in Park Slope. As a teen, she was determined to live a life larger than the ones she saw unfolding around her.

"All my friends were in the park smoking weed and getting pregnant," she says. "I didn't want to be the young black girl having a baby, a baby's father, being on welfare. That wasn't going to be my story. I wanted to be a criminal-justice attorney."

Instead, she discovered her talent for rapping.

When she was 15, her cousin, a DJ, introduced her to a still-undiscovered Jay-Z, and she rapped on his debut album, "Reasonable Doubt."

"Jay and I are each other's history," she says. "We discovered each other, basically. Our first record together was what blew both of us up. We became Bonnie and Clyde."

With her provocative curves -- she's a size 4 with a 34DD bust -- and even more provocative lyrics, Foxy recorded a string of hits. She took her stage name from Pam Grier's famous blaxploitation character and more than lived up to the cinematic Foxy's bluster.

It was Jay-Z who introduced Brown to her best friend and kindred spirit, Naomi Campbell.

"It was 2005 and Jay said to me, 'You and Naomi are the most misunderstood female celebrities ever. You have to meet,' " she recalls. "He set up a meeting in office at Def Jam. We came in, and we've been like sisters ever since."

But while Jay-Z's career has transformed him into a mogul, Brown has not released a full album in a decade.

"Of course I want to release another album," she says. "It's not that I've been twiddling my thumbs. I've had major setbacks."

In 1997, Brown was accused of spitting on hotel workers who failed to locate an iron she requested. She was arrested for missing her court appearance. Two years later, she was carted away by police after yelling obscenities while performing in Trinidad. In 2000, she crashed her Land Rover while driving without a license in Brooklyn. On a trip to Jamaica in 2002, she allegedly punched a policewoman she thought was trying to detain her.

What finally landed her behind bars was her alleged 2004 assault of two Chelsea manicurists, who claim she attacked them over a $20 tab she refused to pay.

In her eyes, her biggest crime is being famous while black. "The prosecutors just wanted my head," she says.

"If Lindsay Lohan was black, she would have done two years, at least. Is there no equal standard?"

Even in a Rikers jumpsuit, she was every inch the diva. "You'd have thought Obama was in the building when I walked in: The girls loved me," she says. "The officers were jealous because I was getting hundreds of thousands of letters a week." She even shot a photo spread for a hip-hop mag while in jail.

Incarceration was easy, she says, compared to the card she already had been dealt -- losing her hearing.

It was a Wednesday evening in 2005, and Brown had just wrapped a photo shoot with Jay-Z and LeBron James. She went to bed feeling normal and woke up to a world of complete silence.

The condition was diagnosed as sensorineural hearing loss, a rare viral infection that Brown made worse by ignoring the problem for months, just praying it would go away. Refusing to wear a hearing aid, she would have friends tap a beat on her shoulder while she tried to record for her label. Brown said she considered the ailment a punishment from God.

Brown underwent ear surgery in 2006 that partially restored her hearing. Today she wears a hearing aid she hides under her long hair extensions. "I lost one of my senses, and that's the hardest thing I went through," she says. "It's a miracle I got it back. I can hear running water again. I can hear my mother say, 'I love you.' I'm on an assignment from God."

She said she plans to become a spokeswoman for the National Deaf Association. She's also penning a memoir about fame, titled "A Gift and a Curse."

"I live a different life," she says. "I'm not at every party; I'm not seen everywhere. That's why people still care about my brand. I've never d myself out."

She says she's still debating whether to accept Hugh Hefner's $2 million offer to pose on the cover of Playboy.

Brown says she plans to release a long-delayed album in 2011. She is also suing New York City for $100,000 for civil-rights violations, false arrest and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

If she's no longer the star she was in the '90s, Brown said she's proud of where she is today.

"I've never stabbed, hurt, killed, stolen, anything," she says. "But I went to jail for a year. What is that? My pastor said to me the fact that I'm not living under a bridge as a crazy woman, talking to myself, is amazing."

akarni@nypost.com

LINK: Foxy Brown speaks: I'm no diva - NYPOST.com

Kairi

Reaction score
Jay-Z might be busy pushing out tracks for his collaborative effort, ‘Watch The Throne,’ with Kanye West, but he’s also confirmed that he’s been in the lab with Odd Future’s Frank Ocean working on music for his forthcoming album as well. A photo hit the net of the two looking as though they were going through some intense studio time.
Meanwhile, the official tracklist for Jay-z and Kanye West’s ‘Watch The Throne’ album was released last week, and Frank Ocean is featured on two songs, ‘Sweet Baby Jesus’ and ‘No Church In The Wild’. Not bad for a newcomer in the game.
‘Watch The Throne is scheduled to hit shelves on August 2nd.

Kairi

Reaction score
Rapper Ja Rule is sentenced to more than two years for failing to file tax returns <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
SADDLE RIVER — A federal judge this morning sentenced the rapper and movie actor “Ja Rule,” a Saddle River resident, to 28 months in prison on three misdemeanor charges of failure to file his taxes. The sentence also required the rapper to pay back more than $1.1 million to the Internal Revenue Service.

“Ja Rule,” whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins, had pleaded guilty in March to three counts of failure to file federal tax returns. Authorities said Atkins, 35, had earned more than $4 million from 2004 to 2008, but rather than file the tax returns, he asked for extensions. Authorities added that Atkins never paid the taxes even after the extensions — which he requested in four of the five years — had expired.

In court today, an emotional Atkins stood and told U.S. Magistrate Judge Patty Shwartz that he was "choked up" -- and at one point he had to pause before continuing to express his contrition to the judge.

“I want to say I'm sorry," he told Judge Shwartz, as a Newark courtroom packed with summer legal interns and others watched in silence. "I in no way attempted to deceive the government.”

He added, “I was a young man who made a lot of money." And, he said, “I didn't actually know how to deal with these finances ... [and] I didn't have the best people guide me.”

But federal prosecutor Joseph G. Mack argued that Atkins' own accountant had warned him that failing to pay his taxes would be a crime. And Judge Shwartz noted the accountants' advice to Atkins, just moments before she handed down her sentence. She also said is was difficult to view Atkins as "unsophisticated ."

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

• Rapper Ja Rule, a Saddle River resident, admits to defrauding government of more than $1.1M in taxes

• Ja Rule sentenced to prison in NYC gun case

• Rapper-actor Ja Rule admits gun possession at concert
“He's a creative person who embarked on a very successful business,” she said.

In early June, the Grammy-nominated rapper began serving a 24-month sentence in New York state prison for the attempted possession of a weapon. He appeared in court today in a bright-yellow prison-issued jump suit. His wrists were shackled, and he had a heavy chain wrapped around his waist.

A major issue at the sentencing was whether the federal punishment would run concurrently or consecutively with Atkins' New York state prison sentence. New Jersey federal prosecutors argued today that Atkins should get a 36-month prison sentence, with 24 months of it concurrent and 12 months running consecutively. But Judge Shwartz issued a 28-month sentence, while mandating that all of it run concurrent to the New York sentence, except for the final four months.

Atkins will therefore serve at least 4 months of additional time in prison under today's federal sentence. However, the additional federal time may be longer, lawyers said, because Atkins could win early release in New York based on good behavior.

Both Atkins and his lawyer, Stacey Richman, also told Judge Shwartz that Atkins' business had been experiencing financial problems. Richman argued Atkins "does not have the financial savvy to have maintained a set aside so that his taxes would be paid.”

Atkins said: “I didn’t have the actual finances to pay off [the taxes], otherwise I would have." Still, he added, "I made mistakes," and he also said, "Things kind of spun out of control."

According to Richman, Atkins' wife, other family members and his manager were in the courtroom. At various times during the hearing, both a man and woman who appeared to be family members or business associates of Atkins ' prayed. One woman dabbed tears from her eyes with a tissue.

Atkins was subdued and often looked down at the defense table. Richman said that for the last two weeks, as he awaited today’s sentencing hearing, Atkins was held in a solitary-confinement situation for 23 hours a day at the Essex County jail. Jail officials, she said, believed such confinement was needed to protect the rapper. She repeatedly called the conditions “draconian” in court.

On the day of his guilty plea in March, Atkins had tweeted to his fans: "S/o to the Feds very cooperative it’s not tax evasion it’s failure to file and I’m taking care of it case closed. WINNING lol..." and "When u get caught wit ya hand in the cookie jar just replace the cookies lol..."

Federal authorities said in March that Atkins was the sole shareholder of ASJA Inc. and Rule Tours Inc. Authorities also said that from 2004 to 2008, Atkins received music royalty income from ASJA Inc., and music tour and live performance-related income from Rule Tours Inc.

Rapper Ja Rule is sentenced to more than two years for failing to file tax returns | NJ.com

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;9ha5ujHnYXg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ha5ujHnYXg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
Drizzy explains that the sound will be more upbeat and incorporate new sounds on is new album.
Currently working on the follow-up to last year’s Thank Me Later, Drake recently chopped it up with Headkrack about what listeners can expect on Take Care. During the interview, the former Degrassi star explained that he wants to get back into acting after dropping the new LP in October, and that fans will be hearing a new side of him on the album.
“I think I finally have a grasp on who I am and who I want to be. I’m just really talking that shit, that shit I’m really saying what I feel,” he said. “The goal for me, this album, was to dig even deeper. Like somebody told me, ‘I love your lyrics, but it’s almost like I know there’s more. I feel like you’re giving circus raps and people are taking them as the deepest thoughts ever.’ So what I did for this album was to capture this moment in time at the most honest place I can. However it ends up, I’m ready for the world right now.”
He likened the sound of the new album to his tracks “Fear” and “9 A.M. in Dallas,” explaining that it has more oomph than Thank Me Later.
“Sonically, 40 and I started using new sounds and picking up the tempo, picking up the energy. Last album, it was sort of still the struggle with fame, still figuring it all out. And this album, man, I’m here with all my friends from Toronto. We’re living the life. I’m 24 years old and everybody’s happy. I don’t have anybody forcing anything on me, no label or nothing like that. Wayne lets me do whatever I want to do and I got really the people I grew up with here. That’s really what this album is about. It’s about really making this happen. I want people to understand this life, but not from the superficial perspective of ‘Oh it’s so good and we’re all so rich.’ It’s not all that – it’s partly that – but there’s a message behind it.”

Status
Not open for further replies.