Praise for Daniel Bryan

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
The thing is though, they have to take that leap of faith sooner or later because if the guy doesn't get to close a PPV while being on a streak of 9 months being champion, when the fuck does he because I honestly can't see him getting any bigger than he already is really.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I was talking about WrestleMania XXVII (you could still argue that The Rock had a big hand in selling this) and Capitol Punishment 2011, not Survivor Series. Sorry if I was unclear about that. I also forgot to mention John Morrison at Extreme Rules 2011. Neither of those three had main evented Pay Per Views before those events and wouldn't have main evented if they weren't facing Cena.
Punk did main event against Del Rio and The Miz (who had both main evented Pay Per Views that year) at TLC, but it was in a TLC match. It being a TLC match made it much more interesting and main event worthy. Not to mention that the WHC match was Mark Henry vs. Big Show and there was no way in hell that they would let those two main event a Pay Per View together. The only other option would have been Nash vs. Triple H and people would have flipped out it was the main event.
Basically, what I'm saying is that Cena can main event a Pay Per View with pretty much anybody, Punk can't do that (yet). This is because a lot of people who bought the Pay Per View or have tickets care more about Cena than Punk, WWE title or not.
I wasn't really sure where this was or is going with Punk being brought up I was just commenting on what part of what you said, lol. And ad far as when Punk is gonna main event a PPV NOC which I think has been the plan for a little while now given a year ago it was Cena in Punk's house and now it's Punk in Cena house (which Cena will get booed in no matter how hard they try and use Punk to get him support)

But anyways back to Bryan while I don't feel like some in the sense of give him the WWE title now they do need to capitalize on how over he has become a lot better than they have been doing. Doesn't have to be a title but a well built and thought out feud.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Daniel Bryan being "The Guy"?

The Guy is supposed to be larger than life. The business is on a downward spiral if this is the future. Sorry they tried midget wrestling and it didn't work.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score

The Guy is supposed to be larger than life. The business is on a downward spiral if this is the future. Sorry they tried midget wrestling and it didn't work.

And you claim to be a fan of his. lol.

Also Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair were pretty small guys and they are three of the biggest stars in history.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Shawn Michaels isn't the biggest star, never was Bret Hart... Both we're lacklustre in terms of their actual star power.

Ric Flair on the other hand was a pretty big draw in the NWA, probably because he can actually wrestling compared to Shawn Michaels.

Daniel Bryan is the best wrestling in WWE, probably better than Cena, tbh I haven't watched anything wrestling related in a while, but I'd imagine the post which caused this thread is right aside from the fact, Daniel Bryan will never be the "man" but could still be the best wrestling in that company (I.E Chris Benoit)

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ I said Michaels was one of biggest stars and certainly as far WWF/WWE goes he was. Bret Hart is a tricky one because often the ratings or buyrates wouldn't back up that he was that big but to be fair he was the top star in a very difficult period for wrestling so maybe unfair to judge him on that. To carry the WWF the way he did during the 90s when some many let them down was impressive and if you go on crowd and looked at his mercindise sales I bet Bret was right up there.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Bret Hart was the epitome of vanilla midget and if it wasn't for Michaels carrying their feuds, the Hart family would be still working indy shows in Calgary against Kevin Steen and Sylvain Grenier.

As for Danielson, he needs acting lessons to try and carve a personality for himself. Saying one word over in succession doesn't qualify as godly mic skills, people made the same mistake with Ken Anderson.

He also needs to stop watching too many Chuck Norris films and drop the puro style, kicks and chops isn't omfg technical wrestling genius.

Reaction score
I totally agree that at the moment Punk is coming off as insecure and unoriginal at the moment, but they've spent too much time working on him to let him fall into a state of obscurity which is exactly what would happen to him if he wasn't champion and wasn't with Cena. People seem to constantly complain that Punk isn't main eventing shows and Pay Per Views and the last few weeks have made the reason obvious - Punk still isn't doesn't have a big enough fanbase to headline any show by himself. Cena has headlined Pay Per Views with R-Truth, The Miz etc. I'm not saying that they were good headline acts, but Cena could sell them to his fans. Do you think that anyone would be willing to pay for a WrestleMania with CM Punk vs. The Miz as the main event? Hell no. As big as Punk is, he's not at a level where he can be trusted to successfully lead the company. If CM Punk was pulling this bullshit respect gimmick with anybody else on the roster bar Lesnar or Triple H nobody would even care. If Cena was facing anybody going through Punk's transition, people would care because Cena has a frickin' huge fanbase. I'm not saying that this is Punk's fault, he can't help the fact that not as many fans buy into him as Cena because after all it is Cena's house and everybody else is just a guest.
I've kind of gone off track there, just something that I feel that I should put out there because too many people are whining about Punk not being 'that guy' in the WWE.

I don't really think that you can compare Punk's push last year to Bryan's push now. Punk's push was perfectly executed, he got a lot of attention because of what he said and how he went about getting the title. Going into Money In The Bank, nobody could call what way that match was going to go and be confident about it. They made him into a legitimate main eventer, then it all started to wear away when he came back. If he still had that momentum now, he would be, or at least should be, main eventing Pay Per Views. At the moment, Bryan's just over. He hasn't been pushed in any way that makes his character stronger, his push is for entertainment purposes. Just because someone is over doesn't mean that it's the right time to make him into something bigger than they already are. His time will come though, I'm almost certain of that.

I do think that if CM Punk would have maintained the same attitude he had before he left with the belt, he would still be the biggest star in the WWE. The WWE writers turned him into a face a couple of weeks after he returned and again, not the badass and cool babyface that Austin portrayed so well, the usual babyface. This is when some people started to lose interest in CM Punk. The whole badass attitude, not trusting anyone and acting heelish even though you are a face is perfect for Punk. Unfortunately, they didn't think that was a good idea which was completely stupid on their part. The fact that Cena's mic skills were superior to Punk's on this week's Raw shows that Punk isn't a very interesting character at the moment. As I said, they didn't need to turn him heel in order for him to express that he should be main eventing Raw and pay per views. He is right and many of us agree with him.

Actually to be fair Truth and Miz main evented cause of Rock more than anything else and Punk actually main evented a PPV against Del Rio and Miz with no Cena on the show.

As for Bryan I like what he's been doing lately and how over he's gotten though I think this article is going a little too far calling him "the guy" in sports entertainment.

Cena is always the one to main event. He finally did not at Summerslam but it is so rare.

He can be "the guy" if the WWE starts booking him correctly. He needs to be in good feuds.

Daniel Bryan will never be "the guy" in sports entertaiment. Although, for me he is "the guy" in professional wrestling. He is so over with everything that it makes me smile.

It's true that in past few weeks he was really entertaining. Wether it's in ring (Pfff, of course), on the mic or just in some creative segments.

I think he can be. I don't see why he should be held back. He has a lot of potential.

The thing is though, they have to take that leap of faith sooner or later because if the guy doesn't get to close a PPV while being on a streak of 9 months being champion, when the fuck does he because I honestly can't see him getting any bigger than he already is really.

Exactly!

But anyways back to Bryan while I don't feel like some in the sense of give him the WWE title now they do need to capitalize on how over he has become a lot better than they have been doing. Doesn't have to be a title but a well built and thought out feud.

They should definitely capitalize on that. Daniel Bryan can be the future of the business.

Midget wrestling? You don't need to be a big guy to be a main event star in the WWE.

^ I said Michaels was one of biggest stars and certainly as far WWF/WWE goes he was. Bret Hart is a tricky one because often the ratings or buyrates wouldn't back up that he was that big but to be fair he was the top star in a very difficult period for wrestling so maybe unfair to judge him on that. To carry the WWF the way he did during the 90s when some many let them down was impressive and if you go on crowd and looked at his mercindise sales I bet Bret was right up there.

They were big stars. I don't think that there was anyone bigger in the WWE during the 90's (before the Attitude Era of course).

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I feared for Bryan during his fued with Punk because it seemed like with all the forced comedy segments and the on-and-off fued with AJ that sort of went around in circles, it seemed to me WWE were trying to make the "Yes!" thing less organic and more irritating in an attempt to phase it out. But ever since Daniel went bonkers he's been extremely entertaining. In fact, he probably generates the most energy in the arena more than anyone else right now.

So I'm with the majority here, anticipating what he's going to do next.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Bret Hart was the epitome of vanilla midget and if it wasn't for Michaels carrying their feuds, the Hart family would be still working indy shows in Calgary against Kevin Steen and Sylvain Grenier.

As for Danielson, he needs acting lessons to try and carve a personality for himself. Saying one word over in succession doesn't qualify as godly mic skills, people made the same mistake with Ken Anderson.

He also needs to stop watching too many Chuck Norris films and drop the puro style, kicks and chops isn't omfg technical wrestling genius.

Totally disagree with your assessment of the Hitman, Michaels wasn't carrying anything, he dropped the ball when he was on top, Bret carried the company through one of their darkest days and was still able to help the company keep their global audience when the domestics stopped watching.

But you are right about the whole "yes/no" thing, it doesn't mean he is great on the mic. It's like when someone tries to act serious in a promo with mere shouting.

And just because I don't think he is the guy for WWE, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching him kick the shit out of people. Just means I think the company needs to be represented by larger than life individuals. Even as vanilla as Bret Hart was, there was still an undeniable coolness about him that captivated people to jump on his bandwagon.

Reaction score

Michaels carried him over? Um no. Bret hart was over with the crowd before his feud with Shawn Michaels. When Hogan left the WWE, Bret Hart was "the guy," was he selling as much merchandise as the NWO, probably not BUT he had a great fan base and he put on some of the best technical matches we have ever seen.

He isn't only entertaining when he says, "yes" or "no." I actually really enjoyed his segment with R Truth where he said that Little Jimmy didn't exist. 8D

A lot of wrestlers are repetitive though. Austin and Rock make most wrestlers today look mediocre on the mic. Enjoy what Daniel is doing now though and give him time; he will only get better.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
The term "vanilla midget" is truly as "fan boy" as opinions get. A guy's physical size means absolutely nothing. Just because previous eras were dependent on them doesn't mean all future generations have to be. Buddy Rogers, Frank Gotch, Ed Lewis, Ric Flair... none of those guys were "big guys" by any means and they carried the bulk of the wrestling business throughout each of their respective eras. Even Steve Austin wasn't humongous and he's arguably the most important wrestler in the history of the company.

As for Bryan, the guy is as over as over gets. He's easily the most charismatic performer in the company, arguably the best wrestler in the world, and is ridiculously marketable. He's not The Rock on the mic, but jesus christ, why does everyone have to expect that from everyone? He's selling merchandise regardless, and if's selling merch, he can sell tickets as well. The two go practically hand-in-hand.

And I've said it numerous times in recent months, to me personally he's the most interesting and entertaining wrestler in the company right now. The guy got a superb match out of Kane... KANE for fucks sake. Name me one other wrestler in the company who has done that lately. Fucking no one, that's who.

WWE doesn't have to give him the belt to get him to put butts in the seats, but they aren't going to have a choice but to put the belt on him once in a while. He will likely have short reigns and be considered a "transitional champion" eventually, but I'm okay with that as long as they keep feeding him lots of air time. The upcoming "anger management classes" that AJ announced on Twitter only further proves my point. That's an extra Daniel Bryan segment each week, so apparently someone at WWE agrees with me.

Reactions: 1 person
Reaction score
The term "vanilla midget" is truly as "fan boy" as opinions get. A guy's physical size means absolutely nothing. Just because previous eras were dependent on them doesn't mean all future generations have to be. Buddy Rogers, Frank Gotch, Ed Lewis, Ric Flair... none of those guys were "big guys" by any means and they carried the bulk of the wrestling business throughout each of their respective eras. Even Steve Austin wasn't humongous and he's arguably the most important wrestler in the history of the company.

As for Bryan, the guy is as over as over gets. He's easily the most charismatic performer in the company, arguably the best wrestler in the world, and is ridiculously marketable. He's not The Rock on the mic, but jesus christ, why does everyone have to expect that from everyone? He's selling merchandise regardless, and if's selling merch, he can sell tickets as well. The two go practically hand-in-hand.

And I've said it numerous times in recent months, to me personally he's the most interesting and entertaining wrestler in the company right now. The guy got a superb match out of Kane... KANE for fucks sake. Name me one other wrestler in the company who has done that lately. Fucking no one, that's who.

WWE doesn't have to give him the belt to get him to put butts in the seats, but they aren't going to have a choice but to put the belt on him once in a while. He will likely have short reigns and be considered a "transitional champion" eventually, but I'm okay with that as long as they keep feeding him lots of air time. The upcoming "anger management classes" that AJ announced on Twitter only further proves my point. That's an extra Daniel Bryan segment each week, so apparently someone at WWE agrees with me.

This is exactly how I feel!

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Gonna have to really disagree about the most charismatic let alone it being easily. I think you got to give Punk and Cena their respect in that regard. Despite what you may think about their mic material or whatever their charisma is undeniable. Bryan being charismatic didn't start coming up until the no yes stuff while Cena has been one of the most charismatic guys for years and Punk ever since he started in the business really.

Reaction score
Daniel Bryan has evolved and he is definitely the most charismatic wrestler in the WWE at the moment. Just because Cena and Punk had charisma from the beginning doesn't mean they are any better or that Daniel can't work on improving that. He has and he is definitely the man to watch in the WWE right now.