Praise for Daniel Bryan

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Would like to think I've made valid points as well and no I wasn't downing his yes chants just think the idea of charisma = entertainment is incorrect. Entertainment is purely based on preference and charisma is something that person has or doesn't no matter how much you like them or don't like them. I'm a fan of Bryan's as well just not as much as you two seem to be so it's not like I'm trying to spite him cause I'm a Punk fan. If I was trying to be purely bias I wouldn't have brought up a guy I'm not necessary a fan of in Cena up in this charisma debate.

Reaction score
Bryan pre-Mania:
[video=youtube;Qrd6Clj7azk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrd6Clj7azk[/video]

Compare that and the WrestleMania pop to the night after:
[video=youtube;VQxl1XnvDOE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQxl1XnvDOE[/video]

There's a big difference between a few hundred chanting it during his entrance and nearly a whole arena chanting it for two hours. There was a huge surge in the 'YES' chants and popularity in Daniel Bryan after WrestleMania. I don't know how it can be denied, it's obvious. Therefore, although he created it he can't take full credit for it taking off.

Now for the WikiHow.com's guide on How To Be Charismatic:
- 2 says that you should treat everyone as your equal. Wrestlers aren't supposed to been seen as equal to the fans.
- 3 says, "If you are stuck up, no one will feel that they have to listen to you". I wonder if JBL, Ric Flair or Rick Rude has ever seen this.
- 8 goes against every heel in the business.
Basically, I'm saying this guide holds no weight in professional wrestling and it should be called 'How To Fool People Into Thinking You're Charismatic'. Just because it's a WikiHow article doesn't mean that it's truthful.

Also, why do you keep mentioning that you can learn how to be charismatic as if it's so important? Bryan's always been able to cut a promo, his heel work in ROH was awesome. It's like the WWE have made into what he is mic wise, he's always been able to talk.

It baffles me that you don't find Punk charismatic and do find Bryan charismatic. The only difference that I've found between face Bryan and heel Bryan is that heel Bryan is louder and looks a lot more angry. I wouldn't consider him in the top five. Please explain to me in what way is he so charismatic.

Wait a second, I never said that Punk completely lacked charisma. He does have charisma but I don't feel it is to the extent that you and others claim it to be. I said he's not THAT charismatic. Sure, he has some charisma but I wouldn't say he is one of the most charismatic wrestlers that I have ever seen in the WWE. As for Bryan, I don't see how he is not charismatic. He does have a compelling attractiveness. If he didn't, no one would care about him. It appears to me that a lot of people do.

Okay, so the "YES" chants got louder after Mania and there are more of them. So? he had a fan base before Mania. The word, "WHAT?" took a matter of getting used to as well. I don't see why any of this is relevant. Daniel Bryan has a fan base, he's entertaining, he's the best wrestler in the business and yes, he's charismatic. If you don't agree, that's fine but I do think he has the potential to be bigger than he is now.

As for the links, I was just showing you that charisma can be improved. Those websites may not be related to wrestling BUT you can definitely work on compelling a crowd. That is not something you're either born with or not in all cases.

You're just beating your head against a wall trying to convince CM Punk's fans that Daniel Bryan is more entertaining right now. Obviously they will never agree with you no matter how valid your points are, so don't push so hard.

I definitely think Punk is charismatic, just not in the same sense that Bryan is. Punk makes people listen when he talks, which is great, but Bryan can make fans interact, which is much harder. All a CM Punk mark is going to say to that is, "Well it's just a 'yes' chant and that's it blah blah blah" but it's still more connection than Punk gets with his fans... period. Punk is strictly a rant artist. While though extremely captivating at times (which is his strong suite), he's also known to go off into confusing tangents and miss the mark with his points. Bryan fumbles his words too, however, he never misses a beat with the audience, which is much more important.

And frankly, whether it was his debut on NXT, the tie incident, or Wrestlemania 28 that got him over, it's completely irrelevant how it happened. You can twist the definition of "charisma" any way you want or define it by whoever's interpretation you want to... but the fact remains Bryan never has to do much to get people to stand up and participate in the WWE live experience, which to me is a lot more fun to be a part of than sitting down and listening to CM Punk talk.

EXACTLY! I don't think there is anything wrong with CM Punk. Personally, I enjoyed his straight edge gimmick and I enjoyed his rebellious persona last summer too. He just hasn't been entertaining me much this year. When he does actually rant about something worthwhile, he does an excellent job. I will not argue with that but there have been far more charismatic wrestlers than him in the WWE. Therefore, I don't see why we always have to compare someone to CM Punk as if he is the "GOD" of wrestling. I am a huge Jericho mark and I enjoyed his feud with Punk a lot but over the past few months, I have to say that Bryan has been the most entertaining wrestler in the WWE. And yes, he is charismatic. When people talk, he listens. When he appears on screen, people respond. To me, that is "charisma."

Would like to think I've made valid points as well and no I wasn't downing his yes chants just think the idea of charisma = entertainment is incorrect. Entertainment is purely based on preference and charisma is something that person has or doesn't no matter how much you like them or don't like them. I'm a fan of Bryan's as well just not as much as you two seem to be so it's not like I'm trying to spite him cause I'm a Punk fan. If I was trying to be purely bias I wouldn't have brought up a guy I'm not necessary a fan of in Cena up in this charisma debate.

But Ricky, no one said that charisma=entertainment. Is Bryan entertaining, yes? Is he charismatic, yes? I do think that the fact that thousands of fans respond to him proves that people find him interesting. If he wasn't charismatic, why would he pull us in so much? That is part of being charismatic. When he's on Raw, why do so many people get excited to watch him? His personality is very interesting and his "yes" chants are contagious.

Last edited:

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Wasn't only addressing you.

TKK

Reaction score
Wait a second, I never said that Punk completely lacked charisma. He does have charisma but I don't feel it is to the extent that you and others claim it to be. I said he's not THAT charismatic. Sure, he has some charisma but I wouldn't say he is one of the most charismatic wrestlers I have seen in the WWE. As for Bryan, I don't see how he is not charismatic. He does have a compelling attractiveness. If he didn't, no one would care about him. It appears to me that a lot of people do.

Okay, so the "YES" chants got louder after Mania and there more of them. So? he had a fan base before Mania. The word, "WHAT?" took a matter of getting used to as well. I don't see why any of this is relevant. Daniel Bryan has a fan base, he's entertaining, he's the best wrestler in the business and yes, he's charismatic. If you don't agree, that's fine but I do think he has the potential to be bigger than he is now.

As for the links, I was just showing you that charisma can be improved. Those websites may not be related to wrestling BUT you can definitely work on compelling a crowd. That is not something you're either born with or not in all cases.

So wait, your argument to why he is the most charismatic wrestler in the WWE is that you don't see how he isn't? That's an odd way to state your case. I'm not denying that he has charisma, I've been a fan of his for a very long time and I know how good he is, I wanted to see why you think he is so damn entertaining. No offence, but there are signs that make me believe that you just jumped on the bandwagon once he got popular. Obviously, I don't know if you did or not, but was the impression that I got.
I know that Bryan's great, he has been for some time. I've still never seen him as the charismatic (though he's always had some), but he's relatable especially as a face so, I can see how he's gotten into the position that he's in. That being said, I can't see it lasting forever. He will slowly die down even if he keeps on doing what he's doing, then again, I may be wrong considering I'm not as high on up on him as you are. I really think Punk could have stayed as interesting to this day if he wasn't watered down into a generic babyface considering that his SES had one of the best runs of any gimmick in the last fifteen years.

I know that he had a fanbase before 'Mania, I've been a fan of him since he was in Ring Of Honor. The point that I was making was that if he is so charismatic, he would have been able to get it over completely on his own accord. Punk, Cena and Jericho all got their own catchphrases going. That's how it's relevant to what we're talking about. Of course, Bryan had a few catchphrases in the independent scene, but that's to a niche audience so, it holds no ground in this discussion.

Your thoughts on charisma are debatable. Some people can work to improve themselves e.g. Damien Sandow but, others such as Dean Malenko always have been pretty vanilla (though I hate that word). Anyways, whatever charisma Bryan has - he's always had.

We're not going to make anything out of this discussion, it's quite obvious that neither of us will convince the other. Attempts at such are futile.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
We're not going to make anything out of this discussion, it's quite obvious that neither of us will convince the other. Attempts at such are futile.
tumblr_m49wcdx4y61qivhiio1_500.gif

Reaction score
So wait, your argument to why he is the most charismatic wrestler in the WWE is that you don't see how he isn't? That's an odd way to state your case. I'm not denying that he has charisma, I've been a fan of his for a very long time and I know how good he is, I wanted to see why you think he is so damn entertaining. No offence, but there are signs that make me believe that you just jumped on the bandwagon once he got popular. Obviously, I don't know if you did or not, but was the impression that I got.
I know that Bryan's great, he has been for some time. I've still never seen him as the charismatic (though he's always had some), but he's relatable especially as a face so, I can see how he's gotten into the position that he's in. That being said, I can't see it lasting forever. He will slowly die down even if he keeps on doing what he's doing, then again, I may be wrong considering I'm not as high on up on him as you are. I really think Punk could have stayed as interesting to this day if he wasn't watered down into a generic babyface considering that his SES had one of the best runs of any gimmick in the last fifteen years.

I know that he had a fanbase before 'Mania, I've been a fan of him since he was in Ring Of Honor. The point that I was making was that if he is so charismatic, he would have been able to get it over completely on his own accord. Punk, Cena and Jericho all got their own catchphrases going. That's how it's relevant to what we're talking about. Of course, Bryan had a few catchphrases in the independent scene, but that's to a niche audience so, it holds no ground in this discussion.

Your thoughts on charisma are debatable. Some people can work to improve themselves e.g. Damien Sandow but, others such as Dean Malenko always have been pretty vanilla (though I hate that word). Anyways, whatever charisma Bryan has - he's always had.

Um, are you serious? No, I did not jump on the bandwagon once he became popular. Did I say I did? No.... I actually liked him before that. I enjoyed him in ROH and yes, on NXT. He gave me a reason to watch NXT. I thought the guy had potential before his "YES" chants. I was one of those fans that was pissed off when he was released. I got into the WWE again a lot more this year and yes, the same Bryan that I thought had charisma and potential has proven me to be correct. One of the reasons why I keep watching right now is because of him. I was honestly not following it regularly for a couple of years because I was so bored of it. I would just watch segments and matches with Jericho and Bryan for the most part.

I already pointed out why I think he is charismatic many times. He is very captivating with his catchphrases and his general attitude. When I responded to PHX, I mentioned the reasons. When he comes out, people respond to him. People tune in every week to watch his segments. He makes you want to go out there and chant "yes" even when he isn't around. People did that with Austin's "what?" chant as well. He knows how to interact with the crowd better than anyone else at the moment.

Okay, again I don't think he became popular because other people chanted "yes." I'm not even talking about his ROH days. Yes, he was fantastic there too but I do think that he has improved many aspects of his personality since coming to the WWE. There was a vast improvement when he was on NXT and he has only gotten better this year. He managed to get people interested before he even started dating AJ on screen. Oh and by the way, Jericho does credit his story-line with Chyna and especially Stephanie for helping him develop such great material. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, I do agree that Punk would have still been terrific if he maintained that Straight Edge attitude or his rebellious attitude from last year. They didn't go a very good job with him as a face.

Please don't say I jumped on Daniel's bandwagon again though. I have been a fan of his way before the "yes" chants started.

Last edited: