Pit Road Fight Nascar Race

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Airfixx

So what IS NASCAR if it's not a sport, doubters?

Is F-1 not a sport either?

(Not that I care for either, TBH.)

Oh and @ Blaze:

If a, at it's best, highly skilled game like soccer (or as the inventors of the game - and the majority of the civilised world - called it, FOOTBALL) is gay(*), why does the US bastardisation of that and another physically intense sport of British discent (i.e. Rugby) require the players to pad themselves up like crash-test dummies and only requires them to do ANYTHING once every 5 minutes?

Check the stats, you're more likely to receive a career ending injury in football, than you are in rugby OR Gridiron Soccer( : P )....

(*)...Whatever "gay" is supposed to mean in this context? (Assuming you don't mean that it seeks sexual relations with a member of the same sex...)

J

^The World Series of Poker was in ESPN Mag and SI...it was even on ESPN.

Here's a list of shows that aren't sports that were on ESPN

Mini Golf
World Series of Poker
Spelling Bee
Scrabble
Madden Nation (you better watch out for those white boys though, they'll pop a cap in yo ass >_>)
I can name many, many more

BTW, what physical skill does Nascar require from the driver, other than sitting on his ass and making left turns for 3 hours?

Actually if you ask me. Poker takes more skill then most "Sports" do now a days. The guy's that participate in the tournaments have amazing skill and if you wondering yes I watch the tournaments. >.<

monkeystyle

Reaction score
A sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

I hate to side with Blaze, but I consider NASCAR a sport.

That is a modern definition of sport, not a traditional one. As much as I love chess, and consider it to be one of the greatest intellectual pursuits one can take part in, it is not a sport either no matter what people say.

So what IS NASCAR if it's not a sport, doubters?

Is F-1 not a sport either?

(Not that I care for either, TBH.)

No, neither are sports. They are competitions.

Airfixx

Thats not an answer, that's a swerve. ;o]

...Besides, we ARE living in the modern world as far as I'm aware so why would a modern defenition of what is or isn't a sport not ring true?

Airfixx

^^^That's a pointless comment... Are you suddenly saying golf doesn't require skill?

Have a round of 18 holes and see how fuckin' frustrated you get at how shit you are and then tell me it's nothin'.

J

I'm saying Poker is more entertaining and at times takes way more skill. Plus I'd rather watch NASCAR then Golf. Golf is so quite and boring. Fucking watching old man swing around clubs. At least NASCAR is loud. FUCK GOLF!

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Thats not an answer, that's a swerve. ;o]

...Besides, we ARE living in the modern world as far as I'm aware so why would a modern defenition of what is or isn't a sport not ring true?

It really comes down to modernity versus tradition, and the constant
(de)evolution of the english language imo.

As I stated in my example earlier, and you should be able to understand this more then most being a Brit. Tabloids are not news, yet somehow they are classified as such. Is it modern? Yes. Is it wrong? So very wrong.

Airfixx

^^^I hear ya loud and clear on that it's just I'm struggling with the notion that pressumably it's not a sport cos it's technically (or in this case mechanically) driven/assisted....

Is that so different to modern technology being applied to produce better boots for football players and inturn increasing performance, or balls that are designed to be more controllable etc....?

Where do you draw the line....

I was having a similar discussion on another forum regarding genrification of music: The tradional definition vs the modern evolution of the term (rather than the genre itself)...

I think it's another situation where you make yourself understood by proxy because there's no better term to be used and whilst there's not a lot to contradict you on a technical level, the average layman is just gonna think your a pedantic git (no offense intended. LOL)...

monkeystyle

Reaction score
^^^I hear ya loud and clear on that it's just I'm struggling with the notion that pressumably it's not a sport cos it's technically (or in this case mechanically) driven/assisted....

Is that so different to modern technology being applied to produce better boots for football players and inturn increasing performance, or balls that are designed to be more controllable etc....?

Where do you draw the line....[\quote]

With football (both American and European) no matter what modern technology they get, they still have to run. In auto racing, it is hand/eye co-ordination and stamina. But even the stamina is more mental than physical imo. That is not sport to me. There is no active physical exertion, it is all passive.

Airfixx

Airfixx said:
I hear ya loud and clear on that it's just I'm struggling with the notion that pressumably it's not a sport cos it's technically (or in this case mechanically) driven/assisted....

Where do you draw the line....[\QUOTE]

monkeystyle said:
With football (both American and European) no matter what modern technology they get, they still have to run. In auto racing, it is hand/eye co-ordination and stamina. But even the stamina is more mental than physical imo. That is not sport to me. There is no active physical exertion, it is all passive.

Ok, I see the differentiation you are making, but out of interest do you have a "traditional" defenition of "sport" you can share with us (either your own personal one or a so-called 'proper' published one)... I only ask cos I've just noticed that, above, you wrote "golf is not a sport either" and I'm begining to doubt your reasoning again. LOL

monkeystyle

Reaction score
The dictionary.com definition of Sport is thus;

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

That is a good start, but I'm big on specificity so I would have it written as such;

an athletic activity requiring active physical skill or prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, wrestling, boxing, hockey, basketball, football (both), rugby, lacrosse etc.

I think that is far more appropriate.

As to the golf thing, I waver on that one tbh. It is an active physical exertion, but its not much of one. I played a round a couple of times and though I sucked I didn't feel it was because I was physically deficient. Just that I lacked the skill that comes along with practice, such as measuring the wind's speed and direction, the right way to hit, club to use, how hard etc.

I think I got more exertion walking and drinking between the holes. But there is a modicum of exertion there otherwise.

Airfixx

So it's only your personal definition which states there must be a particular degree of physical exertion then?

Edit:

Don't get me wrong, that's cool and all (respect for reaching a bit further for your understanding and application of the term), but surely ya gotta to, to some degree, conceed to my above statement?

monkeystyle

Reaction score
So it's only your personal definition which states there must be a particular degree of physical exertion then?

Edit:

Don't get me wrong, that's cool and all (respect for reaching a bit further for your understanding and application of the term), but surely ya gotta to, to some degree, conceed to my above statement?

Its all good dude.

The way I see it is like this. If I wanted to I could likely go through the many dictionary sites available online or in a bookstore, and I will eventually find a definition for the word sport that agrees with my variation on the dictionary.com definition. Hell, look at the merriam-webster defintion of sport:

Main Entry: 2sport Function: noun Date: 15th century 1 a: a source of diversion : recreation b: sexual play c (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2): a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in2 a: pleasantry , jest b: often mean-spirited jesting : mockery , derision3 a: something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b: laughingstock4 a: sportsman b: a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship <a good sport> <a poor sport> c: a companionable person5: an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue synonyms see fun

Far different from the one I gave earlier, and more sympathetic to my definition.

I dunno what else to say. I guess in the end definitions are subjective to each person.