Orton vs Cena: Match of the year

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
Yeah! omg that was the best match ive seen all year! 289 Chinlocks! Rko's , Fu's! Omg that was crazy! And Cena still manages to retian

Angryphilip2

Reaction score
i think that qauilifed for worse match of the year, hell without the crowd i would have fallen asleep

i mean really the amount of headlock's in that match was insane

Reaction score
Cena has been in each of the top 5 matches of 2007, how can you not think the guy is a good worker?

Reaction score
I'll refrain from lashing out on this statement as I havn't seen the PPV yet, but I highly, highly doubt that is going to be a MOTYC IMO.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
Cena is a hard worker. He still sucks in my opinion. That match had me thinking Orton was going to win. But ofcourse Cena retains

Reaction score
Excuse me? Names of them please so that statement can be corrected.

This was the top four of 2007 so far as listed by 411mania.

4) John Cena vs. Umaga (Royal Rumble)
What a brutal war this was. I was expecting a good match based on the above average encounter they had at New Year's Revolution, but this exceeded my expectations as well as the expectations of just about everybody I think. I will never forget Umaga running the tables and doing that crazy dive onto the announce table or Cena choking out Umaga with the ring ropes with this look of desperation and craziness on his face. Umaga turned me into a fan of his after this match as I now greatly respect his abilities in the ring. And if Cena couldn't end all the hate after this classic performance, I don't know what will.

3) John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 23)
This match delivered in a big time way no matter what the haters of this match might say. I watched it again recently and I was even more impressed the second time around than I was during the initial viewing. I liked how both men at certain points played either the face-in-peril or the heel-in-control. It really made the match unique. The match was completely awesome and definitely had that big time feel, despite a dead crowd. The only negative part of the match was when HBK focused on Cena's leg for like a good 5 minutes and then Cena just shook it off and was running all around the ring like nothing was wrong with him. That's the only thing that prevented this match from being a 5* classic, but everything else was so damn good, that you can forgive them for that little fuckup. Great match that was definitely worth the price of Wrestlemania alone.

2) John Cena vs. Edge vs. Randy Orton vs. Shawn Michaels (Backlash)
This was a phenomenal match and it showed why all four men (yes, even bitch ass Orton) deserve to be in the upper echelon of the WWE. It was well paced, action packed, and filled with tense moments that made you wonder who was going to pick up the win. I knew that Cena was going to win, but I think that the way they did it was absolutely genius. Shawn had Cena beat after the superkick, but Cena was just fortunate enough to land on top of Orton otherwise his title would be lost. It added great tension to the Cena/Michaels feud and even though they blew it by having Cena start feuding with Khali, it was immensely intriguing at the time. This was a fun match and a great way to cap off a great PPV.

1) John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels (Raw, 4/23)
This was the followup to their epic Wrestlemania encounter and this match surpassed the classic effort of that matchup. This is the first match in a long time that I can remember going an hour without being previously announced. It was a pleasant surprise to see a nice, long, classic wrestling match on free TV. Some people complained about the slow pace in the early going, but I feel that added to the intrigue of this matchup. It told a terrific story as both men kept on kicking out, refusing to give up until finally, after 55 grueling minutes, Michaels was able to connect with Sweet Chin Music and put down Cena for the three count. This is one of the best free TV matches I've seen in a while, not since the days of the heralded Smackdown Six have I seen such a great, long match for free. Now if the ‘E could just give us matches like this on a regular basis, I would have nothing to complain about. Nah, I'm sure I'd find something.

Not to mention that he got watchable matches out of Khali.

Soulpower

That was not MOTY, it wasn't even Cena's best match of the year.

Cena vs Umaga at the Rumble
Cena vs HBK at WM
Cena vs HBK in London

All were better matches than Cena vs Orton. If not for the crowd this would have been just another title match.

Conc3pt

Reaction score
The match was just..bad. The only reason the match was watchable was because the crowd was so into it. It was watching an old ECW match with the fans creating all the excitement.

Trips V.2

Reaction score
This match was a great match. Terrible ending seeing Orton get jobbed out, though. Tell me how much sense it made to have Orton hit the RKO and Cena kick out then get right back up and hit his fireman's carry.

You can't even try.

Reaction score
This was the top four of 2007 so far as listed by 411mania.

4) John Cena vs. Umaga (Royal Rumble)
What a brutal war this was. I was expecting a good match based on the above average encounter they had at New Year's Revolution, but this exceeded my expectations as well as the expectations of just about everybody I think. I will never forget Umaga running the tables and doing that crazy dive onto the announce table or Cena choking out Umaga with the ring ropes with this look of desperation and craziness on his face. Umaga turned me into a fan of his after this match as I now greatly respect his abilities in the ring. And if Cena couldn't end all the hate after this classic performance, I don't know what will.

3) John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 23)
This match delivered in a big time way no matter what the haters of this match might say. I watched it again recently and I was even more impressed the second time around than I was during the initial viewing. I liked how both men at certain points played either the face-in-peril or the heel-in-control. It really made the match unique. The match was completely awesome and definitely had that big time feel, despite a dead crowd. The only negative part of the match was when HBK focused on Cena's leg for like a good 5 minutes and then Cena just shook it off and was running all around the ring like nothing was wrong with him. That's the only thing that prevented this match from being a 5* classic, but everything else was so damn good, that you can forgive them for that little fuckup. Great match that was definitely worth the price of Wrestlemania alone.

2) John Cena vs. Edge vs. Randy Orton vs. Shawn Michaels (Backlash)
This was a phenomenal match and it showed why all four men (yes, even bitch ass Orton) deserve to be in the upper echelon of the WWE. It was well paced, action packed, and filled with tense moments that made you wonder who was going to pick up the win. I knew that Cena was going to win, but I think that the way they did it was absolutely genius. Shawn had Cena beat after the superkick, but Cena was just fortunate enough to land on top of Orton otherwise his title would be lost. It added great tension to the Cena/Michaels feud and even though they blew it by having Cena start feuding with Khali, it was immensely intriguing at the time. This was a fun match and a great way to cap off a great PPV.

1) John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels (Raw, 4/23)
This was the followup to their epic Wrestlemania encounter and this match surpassed the classic effort of that matchup. This is the first match in a long time that I can remember going an hour without being previously announced. It was a pleasant surprise to see a nice, long, classic wrestling match on free TV. Some people complained about the slow pace in the early going, but I feel that added to the intrigue of this matchup. It told a terrific story as both men kept on kicking out, refusing to give up until finally, after 55 grueling minutes, Michaels was able to connect with Sweet Chin Music and put down Cena for the three count. This is one of the best free TV matches I've seen in a while, not since the days of the heralded Smackdown Six have I seen such a great, long match for free. Now if the ‘E could just give us matches like this on a regular basis, I would have nothing to complain about. Nah, I'm sure I'd find something.

Not to mention that he got watchable matches out of Khali.

I'll concede that the Raw match with Cena vs. Michaels is top 5 material. But how all the other amazing matches this year. My top 5 would go something like this (no order)

5.Cena vs. Michaels (Raw)
4.Briscoes vs. MCMG
3.Morishima vs. Mcguiness
2.Yuuko Miyamoto vs. Takashi Sasaki (BJPW)

Last spot is up for grabs between a lot of matches like

Rocky Romero vs. Naomichi Marufuji
Mushiking Terry vs. Rocky Romero
Marvin/Suzuki vs. Briscoes
A boatload of KENTA matches, other ROH stuff I havn't seen yet that was supposed to be great, etc. etc.