"Old School" RAW Discussion Thread (11/15/10)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

...god...

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. It was just an irrelevant tangent. Stuff like Mark Henry's sexual chocolate and JR returning (who is most famous for the Attitude era) is what lead people to believe it was including that time period as well.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Sexual Chocolate / 'Chocolate Town', no?

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Btw, The Rock and Austin ARE legends, whether you like it or not. Why? Simply because the WWE said so. And uhh.. Rock and Austin did much more for the business than Piper did, sorry. Although obviously I wasn't expecting them there, they know how much the WWE and creative sucks right now (probably why they both left, Austin has cited it on multiple occasions), and unlike the guys that showed up, neither of them need the money, BY FAR. Was surprised as hell to see JR though.

Sorry but I disagree. I am in no way, shape or form saying that Piper did more than anyone but he impacted wrestling and influenced a lot of people. I am also looking at his entire career, from the very beginnings to now, not just his WWF time.

I would love to hear people explain exactly what makes Rock and Austin legends. They were funny, rude, energetic, mean, cool, did a few things that people only dream of doing (kicking your employer's ass and not getting fired)...so that makes them legends? HEY, THESE GUYS ARE SUPER POPULAR, LET'S MAKE THEM LEGENDS.

Again, I don't dislike either of them, but I would never consider them legends. Hell, I don't even consider anyone in the WWF/WWE from after the 80's (besides Taker) as a legend.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I would love to hear people explain exactly what makes Rock and Austin legends. They were funny, rude, energetic, mean, cool, did a few things that people only dream of doing (kicking your employer's ass and not getting fired)...so that makes them legends? HEY, THESE GUYS ARE SUPER POPULAR, LET'S MAKE THEM LEGENDS.

You cannot be serious.

You're doubting the legendary status of Steve Austin? Depending on your point of view he is either the first or second most popular wrestler in WWE history, sold more merch than pretty much anyone else, was involved in one of the most compelling feuds of all time, and y'know was just the guy who led WWE into their last boom period. But he's not worthy of legendary status at all.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Exactly Monkeystyle. Austin and Rock are legends, hands down. I watched WWF all through the 90's with the exception of around the time when Doink, Lawler, and most of the cartoon characters were there. When I watched RAW where The Ringmaster (Austin) debuted, I was excited. The guy was great in NWA/WCW. Austin could work with just about anyone. When Austin debuted, WWF was down. All of my friends were watching WCW, which I wanted nothing to do with because I didn't care to see Hogan all over again, and the NWO was just boring to me. Austin and Rock could very well be considered the saviors of the WWF. I won't lie, WWF was really down in the toilet. As Austin and Rock grew, so did the company. If you watch the early Raw's they were showing in venues that Ring of Honor would do. Not that Im knocking ROH because I love that promotion, but watch the evolution once Austin and Rock evolve. Bigger arenas, bigger crowds, more money, and the eventual burial of WCW and ECW. I think when you have 2 performers who helped to basically give your company a re-birth, and I say that because the 80's with Hogan, Piper, Orndorff, Steamboat, JYD, Andre, etc. was huge for them, I think they deserve their recognition.

If Austin's legend status is questioned, then by the same token could we question Roddy Piper's??? Piper was funny, mean, rude, energetic, etc etc and did a few things vocally that most could only dream of doing. And in his prime only held one WWF championship, notice I said in his prime. He was well past his prime as Tag champ. There's no way I would ever question Piper's status. I have as much respect as possible for the man. Piper and Hogan helped to usher in the WWF of the 1980's, while Austin and Rock did the 1990's.

Airfixx

Reaction score

During comentary they made reference to Sexual Chocolate in Chocolate Town (Hershey)....

I dunno, I'm not a yank, so maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.