Official SummerSlam Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
I can't believe they would include Hart after his awful WM match. More likely than not, he is just going to stay on the sidelines and get a tag just to throw in a few punches on a Nexus member who was just beat down to the ground and can't defend himself. Boring. The rest of the team (who haven't left yet, rofl) are great but Hart ruins things.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
And you as a fan, seeing a match as a "draw" affects how much you look forward to the event how....?

Not sure if this is aimed at me but I am answering anyways....

A match being a "draw" isn't nearly as important in me being interested in the match as it does with the big match feel of the event. Orton/Sheamus and Kane/Rey both could be great matches, but neither of them carry that big match feel that a world title match at the #2 WWE PPV of the year should carry imo. Solid matches but they lack either A) the drawable star power or B) big match build. Which they both do have guys that can be considered draws in the WWE (Orton and Rey respectively) but neither of them carry the big match feel that a Cena/Orton or HHH/Cena or Taker/Rey would have carried with it.

CMS

Reaction score
A) the drawable star power

I'm sorry, I just can't understand why you keep throwing these things when making a case about how you as a fan can get interested in a match. The moment when you as a fan start talking about how you want to see two guys go at it because they are draws there's something wrong with how you watch wrestling.

Besides, I sorely disagree with the build up. Kane vs Mysterio has had the build up. Again it goes back to if you have liked it or not, but the "big match feel" you talk about, it's there. Same goes for Sheamus vs Randy Orton. Hottest singles heel act in Raw again hottest face act in Raw. Both have been booked to look unstoppable.

I just feel your smark look at the business forbids you to truly enjoy things. Tell me, in the kayfabe world of WWE, what's the difference between Randy Orton and Sheamus. Besides experience factor, why are we supposed to think this isn't going to be a big time match because Orton is so much more than Sheamus? No. You are once again judging the match under smarkism saying Sheamus isn't a draw while Orton is and stuff like that. Things totally irrelevant when talking about on screen build up for the match and the final in ring encounter.

Imo, Summerslam is being judged, at least from the IWF, under a veil of smarkdom. Kane vs Mysterio has had a great build up, yet the match gets bashed because "Kane is just being build up to be fed up to Taker" and Rey Mysterio is an arguable draw. Sheamus vs Randy Orton is the only main event that made sense booking for this event considering the current roster, yet it gets bashed because "none of them can't afford a defeat thereby booking this match is stupid" or "Orton is superman, no way hes taking a defeat to this newcomer guy who is not a draw". CM Punk vs Big Show has been relatively fun yet it doesn't even gets mentioned if not to make a case when talking about WWE ruining a great chance of having Punk as the champion.

See my point? You are throwing out smark aspects when they clearly should not be thrown, especially considering you are nothing more than a fan

kingovkings

Reaction score
Im looking forward to Orton/Sheamus and Kane/Rey. And im glad Kane is getting a bit of Mainevent spotligh and title run.

His promo's have been spot on. And yes he probably will end up getting fed to Taker, But i think they will have a pretty decent Feud building and lasting till Mania maybe.

I think the build for both matches has been pretty good up to now. I really dont give a shit about star/drawing power.

WWE cant win really IMO. Ive read numerous times on here about how peeps want to see new stars getting pushes, And how the old guys should take a back seat and let new stars shine.

Well we have got that at the moment HHH,HBK,Tista,Taker they arn't there and people are now saying there is no star/drawing power =/.

Even Cena is in a multi man match. Were the spot light isn't totally on him its more on Nexus IMO, Im pretty intrested to see if they can handle the presure of doing a bigish PPV.

I still think it will be a decent ppv.

soulpower

Reaction score
I can't see The Nexus losing at Summerslam. They'll probably draw this out until Survivor Series. I don't really care for the rest of the card. Kane v Rey? Show v SES? And its not like Orton v Sheamus was any good prior to the finish at the Rumble, so I have no reason to believe that match will be any good.

It just feels like a sub-par Summerslam.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
I can't see The Nexus losing at Summerslam. They'll probably draw this out until Survivor Series. I don't really care for the rest of the card. Kane v Rey? Show v SES? And its not like Orton v Sheamus was any good prior to the finish at the Rumble, so I have no reason to believe that match will be any good.

It just feels like a sub-par Summerslam.

Honestly, the SES/Big Show feud is complete garbage. None of it has appealed to me at all and the Big Show constantly gets these boring ass pushes. I know there aren't a lot of big men that Big Show can compete with but they always seem to throw him in a random feud that will go nowhere.

Mister J

Reaction score
They need a real wrestling card with William Regal and Fit Finlay. Summerslam is a joke.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I just feel your smark look at the business forbids you to truly enjoy things. Tell me, in the kayfabe world of WWE, what's the difference between Randy Orton and Sheamus. Besides experience factor, why are we supposed to think this isn't going to be a big time match because Orton is so much more than Sheamus? No. You are once again judging the match under smarkism saying Sheamus isn't a draw while Orton is and stuff like that. Things totally irrelevant when talking about on screen build up for the match and the final in ring encounter.

Imo, Summerslam is being judged, at least from the IWF, under a veil of smarkdom. Kane vs Mysterio has had a great build up, yet the match gets bashed because "Kane is just being build up to be fed up to Taker" and Rey Mysterio is an arguable draw. Sheamus vs Randy Orton is the only main event that made sense booking for this event considering the current roster, yet it gets bashed because "none of them can't afford a defeat thereby booking this match is stupid" or "Orton is superman, no way hes taking a defeat to this newcomer guy who is not a draw". CM Punk vs Big Show has been relatively fun yet it doesn't even gets mentioned if not to make a case when talking about WWE ruining a great chance of having Punk as the champion.

Maybe I wasn't really making this clear, I wasn't saying that the matches aren't going to be potentially enjoyable, but at the same time I am not getting the big match feel that I got from last years title matches. Sheamus/Orton is pretty close to last year and in terms of kayfabe it does make sense to have the two of them go at it at Summer Slam, and regardless of who comes out on top in the match I do feel that either man could look good, but I am forseeing a choppy finish, possibly ending in a double DQ or something of that matter.

Kane/Mysterio has had a great build up and after Friday's Smackdown it is starting to get that big match feel that Summer Slam was needing in it's World Heavyweight Championship match. The idea that it's just the idea of Kane being built up to be fed to Taker I honestly am not completely buying into 100% just yet. I do think that ultimately Taker will come out on top of the feud, but I wouldn't be shocked if Kane got the upper hand atleast once on Taker.

Also, I didn't mean to come off as smarky, I was just saying that up until very recently (when I got the chance to rewatch Smackdown and RAW from this last week) Summer Slam's build is pretty lack luster compared to years past. It felt like Orton/Sheamus was kind of just thrown together, but is shaping up into a pretty good feud. Rey/Kane has also peaked my interest aside fron the whole fear or casket's thing.

Airfixx

Reaction score
A few days away, and I can't see any of the matches having a remotely clean finish... The entire event has "interference", "run-in" and "swerve" written all over it (aside from Melina v Alicia). Even Orton/Sheamus I can imagibne a crappy finnish in order to protect both guys (Sheamus needs a PROPER run & Orton really doesn't need his momentum dented at the 2nd biggest show of the year).

Is it too late to add MCMG v Beer Money to the card? : P

On a side note.... I can't get my head around the fact that they decided to ditch Survivor Series last year, only to bring it back this year, yet give Sumemrslam the kind of ME that Survivor Series has been crying out for since WCW v WWE in 2001 or team Austin v Team Bischoff in 2003.

chessarmy

Reaction score
Not the best card in the world, this feels like a one match show to me. Everything rides on how well Nexus vs Team RAW goes, and with the inexperience of the Nexus guys my expectations are quite low

Montana

Reaction score
Looks like a major heel turn will go down tonight. Cena perhaps???? Or HHH as the 7th man???

I still think is a blah card. More like a average monthly PPV than SummerSlam. Although i'll likely be watching.

kingovkings

Reaction score
John cena got weird tweets up, Might just be me but i think it hints at Heel turn. He thanking pll for all the support over the years and this is one of the the biggest days in his career. prob just shit to get ppl to tune in to summer slam

But be cool if he turned :)

Montana

Reaction score
Yeah, those tweets may be a swerve too. If i was a betting man i'd say HHH.