Official SummerSlam Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Reaction score
Since 3 matches are already annoucned, figured i'd make a thread.

- Sheamus vs. Randy Orton

- Kane vs. Rey Mysterio

- Team NXT vs. Team WWE (Cena, Edge, Jericho, Hart, Khali, Killings and Morrision)

Sub par matches announced thus far in my opinion compared to years past. Normally SS is on par with Mania in regards to high profile matches. Orton and Sheamus is the type of match were neither guy should lose momentum at this point, so i don't see why they booked it. Kane vs. Mysterio should be entertaining, but not much of a draw. I'd like to see Swagger added, making it a 3 way. I like the WWE vs. NXT, however they should have held off a bit till Survivor Series, and perhaps two 4 on 4 matches.

But yeah, i don't think this lives up to some of the matcehs we've seen in teh past SummerSlam's

-09 Orton vs. Cena, Punk vs. Hardy Ladder match
- 08 Batista vs. Cena, Taker vs Edge HIAC
- 07 Cena vs. Orton
- 06 Edge vs. Cena , Hogan vs. Orton
- 05 Hogan vs. HBK, Cena vs. Jericho, Taker vs. Orton

What matches would you like to see added this year??

CMS

Reaction score
First off I don't see your reasoning for not booking Sheamus vs Orton. To me, the fact that they both have a shitload of momentum going for each one of them makes it axiomatic that they would book this match for one of their bigger PPVs.

Secondly, I get where you're coming from, but you have to understand star power isn't the same it was 2 years ago. Besides, Nexus vs Team Cena comes with more momentum than most of the matches you listed in there. You throw matches like Orton vs Cena last year, but we have to remember how rushed that match came. Hardy vs Punk in a TLC match was big not because of how it looked on paper (because it doesn't scream draw making match on paper), but because of the momentum it carried. Same now goes for Nexus vs Cena.

I think we shouldn't be looking at these matches as to how they look on paper and nothing else. Without HHH and Taker, this is the best each brand can present. Kane vs Mysterio sounds like a midcard match, but considering how over is Rey Rey, the momentum they have managed to gave Kane and how the Taker storyline is peaking with a turn for Kane looming, it gains brownie points.

And Sheamus vs Orton is hands down as big of a match as they could put. It's the equivalent of Savage vs Ultimate Warrior or HHH vs Austin. It's a big match but not quite as big as let's say Hogan vs Warrior, Austin vs Rock and Orton vs Cena. But it's certainly the best Raw can put right now, and I am not saying that as a bad thing.

You have to give credit to the WWE for giving the ball to some of these guys. Sheamus vs HHH was a save bet for main eventing Summerslam, but when HHH got injured, management could have easily gotten scared and pull the rug from below Sheamus and hot shot Orton vs Cena. They are giving a high profile match to a bunch of rookies in Nexus. This is Rey's first Summerslam main event. They are giving us something new, and we have to apreciate that. Yeah, it may not look as a cool as Edge vs Taker or Cena vs Batista, but I'd rather see these new blood in there as of right now

CMS

Reaction score
That, and I wanna see the smart ass that can safely say the outcome of any of the matches is predictable.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
That, and I wanna see the smart ass that can safely say the outcome of any of the matches is predictable.

Sheamus beats Orton by DQ/some interferrence
Kane beats Mysterio
Nexus wins after Bret Hart turns on his team.

<_<.

Reaction score
Santino, Hornswoggle and Gold Dust come out and killshit the rest of the locker room, Swoggle takes a shit in Ortons mouth and the PPV ends

Montana

Reaction score
First off I don't see your reasoning for not booking Sheamus vs Orton. To me, the fact that they both have a shitload of momentum going for each one of them makes it axiomatic that they would book this match for one of their bigger PPVs.

Secondly, I get where you're coming from, but you have to understand star power isn't the same it was 2 years ago. Besides, Nexus vs Team Cena comes with more momentum than most of the matches you listed in there. You throw matches like Orton vs Cena last year, but we have to remember how rushed that match came. Hardy vs Punk in a TLC match was big not because of how it looked on paper (because it doesn't scream draw making match on paper), but because of the momentum it carried. Same now goes for Nexus vs Cena.

I think we shouldn't be looking at these matches as to how they look on paper and nothing else. Without HHH and Taker, this is the best each brand can present. Kane vs Mysterio sounds like a midcard match, but considering how over is Rey Rey, the momentum they have managed to gave Kane and how the Taker storyline is peaking with a turn for Kane looming, it gains brownie points.

And Sheamus vs Orton is hands down as big of a match as they could put. It's the equivalent of Savage vs Ultimate Warrior or HHH vs Austin. It's a big match but not quite as big as let's say Hogan vs Warrior, Austin vs Rock and Orton vs Cena. But it's certainly the best Raw can put right now, and I am not saying that as a bad thing.

You have to give credit to the WWE for giving the ball to some of these guys. Sheamus vs HHH was a save bet for main eventing Summerslam, but when HHH got injured, management could have easily gotten scared and pull the rug from below Sheamus and hot shot Orton vs Cena. They are giving a high profile match to a bunch of rookies in Nexus. This is Rey's first Summerslam main event. They are giving us something new, and we have to apreciate that. Yeah, it may not look as a cool as Edge vs Taker or Cena vs Batista, but I'd rather see these new blood in there as of right now

Sheamus has a ton of momentum, but he's not established and not a draw. How would you book the main event, without either guy losing steam? It just screams DQ/flaky finish or screw job finish. I don't see this match anywhere near Warrior/Macho, HHH/Austin or any of those matches at this time. THe WWE is forcing Shaemus at us, but he's not a established enough for me yet. Hell, there isn't even a recent Shaemus thread on this site. For supposedly the biggest thing on Raw.

It's true Raw has had some injuries, but they still had some talent there. Edge/Jericho are randomly thrown in the 7 man tag. I like the booking of the 7 man tag, i just wouldn't have put Jericho/Edge in the mix. I would have liked to maybe see a singles match and then a tag as well. Spread that fued to two matches. I'd rather book a Fatal Fourway for the title, Shaemus, Orton, Jericho, Edge. and throw 2 guys at NXT.

I'm loving the Kane/Mysterio build up, but yeah, it still feels like a midcard match to me.

I give credit for the WWE pushing new guys, but at the same time, it seems like they are focusing on either doing too much, or not the right guys. 3-4 years ago Bobby Lashley, Umaga, Kennedy were all getting the rub. Now they are gone. I'm not saying don't push new guys...but make sure you push the right guys. I have a good feeling with Shaemus, but the WWE basically handed him the belt. Meanwhile someone like CM Punk is on the cusp of being a legit main event / cornerstone of the company, and they have put him in some meaningless fueds. Not to say WWE is doing a awful job pushing new stars, i'm just saying they should Be careful who they push.

I even try not to post too much in the WWE section, cause honestly i don't have a lot of positive things to say about the WWE now. The fact no one posted a thread about SS says something in itself. But yeah, it doesn't look like a awful PPV, jsut not a above average show to me yet.

Reaction score

You may have just become my best friend.

I also wouldn't say Jericho and Edge were randomly thrown in either. As both men have been attacked by Nexus, they've cost Edge the belt and Jericho has his obvious connection with Barrett.

CMS

Reaction score
As for Edge and Jericho, I read spoilers, so don't sleep on that one.

Jurassic Bonez, I said safely predict. I really want to know if you wouldn't see just as possible Taker coming back and screwing Kane out of the belt. John Cena just being Superman and beating Nexus and Randy Orton beating Sheamus cleanly.

Monty, I get where you are coming with Sheamus, but I don't think he's been exactly been forced at us. Yeah he got his push out of nowhere, but that was quite a while ago. He has gotten the rub by HHH and Cena. The reaction he gets out of the crowd speaks by itself. He's truly over. Yeah, not a draw, but considering he has only been in the main roster for a year, he has done quite a good job.

Besides, you seem to be overestimating Randy Orton's booking. He's over just because of the crowd, not precisely for his booking. I mean, he's booking before MITB and now Summerslam doesn't present him as Superman. It has been shown not only WWE is willing to job him, but that Orton is over enough to take that job without suffering. I mean, in the cusp of his turn WWE jobbed him clean to Swagger. He has lost to Edge as well. As easily as I could see a DQ ending, I could see Sheamus pinning Orton and then Orton getting his heat back with an RKO or something amongst those lines.

I feel you on CM Punk, but you can't have it all in booking. Kane vs Rey is the main feud in the brand, and as it should, is for the belt. Besides, it isn't as if Punk has been completely treading water. CM Punk vs Rey was high profile and he then was in a title match.

Lack of discussion for Summerslam or Sheamus means nothing for me. I mean, in the IWF we practically don't discuss about anything anymore.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
As for Edge and Jericho, I read spoilers, so don't sleep on that one.

Jurassic Bonez, I said safely predict. I really want to know if you wouldn't see just as possible Taker coming back and screwing Kane out of the belt. John Cena just being Superman and beating Nexus and Randy Orton beating Sheamus cleanly.

I do think Taker will play some part at Summerslam, but he wont be there. It'll just be the mind games. Thunder, playing with the lights, the gongs, something. But it wont be during the match, it'll be afterwards, AFTER Kane wins the match. I could even see Mysterio being in control, and Kane has someone in the back play the gongs to scare Myserio so that Kane gets the upper hand and beats him. Then Kane goes on to say that his brother has his back. But secretly Kane is the one doing it.

Of course Cena is going to go Super Cena on Nexus. But I see it coming down to Bret and Cena with Bret costing team Cena the match. Something deep down though is telling they might pull the Cena heel turn on SS and have him turn on Bret. There's going to be a turn and if this match goes on last, I have no doubt about it that it will be Cena.

I honestly just don't see Sheamus going over clean. Who has he beat clean that's a big name? I don't think Orton has a problem taking the 1, 2, 3 for Sheamus, but then again I don't think they want Orton to lose any steam. He's been on a role. It's amazing people aren't calling him super Orton yet considering he's been looking like top shit after every match/ segment.

Reaction score
What else is going on this card? Alicia vs. Eve for the Divas belt and a Kofi vs. Ziggler rematch?

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
What else is going on this card? Alicia vs. Eve for the Divas belt and a Kofi vs. Ziggler rematch?

Melina will probably be added and i was thinking a gimmick match for kofi and ziggler.

For the second biggest PPV of the year the card is pretty lols. Are they still doing survivor series? I'd hate to see them rehash Nexus vs team WWE for the month of november. Who know's when this storyline is going to end if that's the case

Reaction score
Add Melina to Eve vs. Alicia? I don't think a three way ladies match has been done on PPV since WrestleMania 18. Somebody correct me.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
Add Melina to Eve vs. Alicia? I don't think a three way ladies match has been done on PPV since WrestleMania 18. Somebody correct me.

well if that's the case then it'll be the ol boring prove a point through inteference route keep the storyline as stale as possible with little progression and we'll get back to this later. goodwork ladies

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I have to say, I am not all that interested in Summer Slam this year. I couldn't care less for the 7 Man tag, but I do in fact see either Bret or (a minor possibility) Cena turning and revealing themself as leader. Kane/Rey is being built pretty solidly imo, but I wouldn't scream major draw at that match, nor Sheamus/Orton, both of which I am looking forward to watching. I feel that the Sheamus/Orton match isn't going to end cleanly and may even result in a DQ.

I can see a Kofi/Dolph match added to the card as well as a women's match or two. A few other possibilites are something dealing with Jericho and Edge (maybe a singles match, or tag match), something with the Miz, perhaps a US title match with Bourne and maybe even a tag match.

I would however like to see Cody, Christian and/or Matt Hardy also get a slot on the PPV. But that's highl;y unlikely.

CMS

Reaction score
And you as a fan, seeing a match as a "draw" affects how much you look forward to the event how....?