Official Smackdown! discussion thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

chavoheat

Reaction score
Still no word on how many characters can be in the ring at once?

Kassidy

Reaction score
September 28, 2007 - THQ&A: WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2008
The fans fired off their wrestling questions, and the publisher is ready to respond.

At IGN, we like to think we're pretty good to our readers. We give our honest opinions on games, we create dazzling video features, and we even answer e-mails.

Some of them.

See, for months we've been getting e-mails about SmackDown! vs. Raw 2008 -- I'm talking before the game was even announced. Before we had the game, it was impossible for us to answer them. Even now with several different builds of the game, there's no way to answer every Ashley attire and roster complaint that you crazed readers send in.

But we're not abandoning you. We're just turning you over to the folks behind the game -- namely THQ Senior Creative Manager Cory Ledesma. Here's how it works: Superfans report to the IGN SmackDown Message Board, they post their questions in our official thread, and THQ responds to the ones we submit.

Can you dig it, sucka?

About This Roster …

The roster this year has down-sized considerably, what were the main factors affecting this? Will the roster expand through downloadable superstars?

-- Backcracker_uk

This is a good question and one I'm sure our fans are very curious about. There are many factors that affect the roster size. Our development cycle is approximately 16 months long, so it takes a very long to develop the great game our fans love to play. During this development cycle we need to decide the roster very early so that we can begin to model, animate and record the Superstars for the game. Since the roster is decided rather early, situations happen in the WWE that change the landscape of our roster. Superstars come and go, characters change, etc. Although we planned for a bigger roster this year, there were some unfortunate events that change our overall roster total. Keeping up with the departure and arrival of new Superstars is one of our biggest challenges. Adding Superstars to the roster during our development cycle has proved very challenging, but a challenge we are definitely looking to solve in the very near future. We promise!

Another factor to consider is the time it takes to create the Superstar models. Each model takes 5-6 weeks to create from scratch. A lot of comparisons have been made between past games and the size of their rosters to current games. Creating models on the PS and PS2 platforms take far less time to create then the 'next-gen' platforms, which gave us a little more flexibility in adding more characters and updating the roster. Also developing and creating characters for all the different platforms is a whole new challenge in itself!

We will continue to improve and grow with the times and continue striving to give you the roster that you hope for. As I'm sure you know, it's impossible to please everyone. All and all, having over 50 playable characters in a fighting game is quite impressive and we will continue to push that limit. We also try to find a healthy balance between quality and quantity so that we don't short-change our fans with poor looking models or animations. Also, don't forget that we've improved our Create-A-Superstar mode so that fans can create the Superstars and Legends that they most want to see.

FYI on GM Mode

How will General Manager mode be implemented in wwe 24/7. Plus will you be able to do everything in last years gm mode such as sign superstars and setup rivalries and matches. Also what new features can we expect from this years general manager mode?

-- Farhan_RKO

I can't answer your question right now, but we'll be announcing information on WWE 24/7 mode very shortly. When we do, hopefully all (or at the very least most) of your questions will be answered.

Will Someone PLEASE Start the Fire

We've seen many match-types in the SmackDown series, we now have over one hundred. A match that I personally have been waiting for since WWF Attitude in 1998 is the Inferno Match. How long do you think it will take to introduce this match type, and why haven't we seen it in the series so far?

-- Subzero1233

That is indeed a very good match type and one that we would like to implement in the future. We take a look at a lot of different match types that we feel would be exciting to add. I hear a lot of requests for the I Quit Match, Ambulance Match and Bull-Rope Match. What's so exciting about the WWE is that there are so many matches and they continue to add new ones each year. Our creative team has a lot of thinking to do about what we think would be the most fun match type to add in the future. As you can tell from our track record, we usually add one or two new match types a year. The key is to add a match type that is current in WWE programming as well as fun to play. I think we have some good ideas in store for future titles!

XTREME!

has the swanton bomb been re-animated

-- Xtreme_rko

Yes, the Swanton Bomb has been re-animated. The impact of the finisher looks great too! We've updated a lot of moves and we will continue to do so each year. There is no doubt that you guys will be able to notice a big difference this year in all of our new navigational and move animations. We've made some big changes!

Demo Calling

Will there be a demo for the 360 this year too?

-- Moose205

Absolutely there's a demo! Keep an eye out for it in the next couple of weeks.

How Does It Work?

What is the process that you have to go through in order to decide which superstars make it into the game?

-- Jeff_Hardy_Rulez

THQ and the WWE work together to decide the roster each year. We take a look at who are the most popular Superstars at the time, try to divide up a pretty equal amount of Superstars per show, factor in Superstars who have never been in the series before and then also think about who would make great 'game' characters. We then propose a roster to WWE that we feel comfortable and confident about creating. The WWE then offers suggestions on the roster and we work together to nail down a final list. The WWE, of course, has final say on everything!

This Guy

Got back from my managers con. THQ during there presentation did talk about Smackdown vs. Raw 08. There will be a pre-order exclusive downloadable Kelly Kelly Outfit for pre-order though Gamestop/EB Games. The game is streetdated for November 13th all platforms except Wii which is also street dated but I'm blanking on the date, but I think it was less then a week later. And finally at the expo floor (which is kinda like an EB version of E3) they had a playable version of the Wii which I tried out. Its pretty freaking cool. Though takes quite a while to get used to.

Weebo

Reaction score
Just wondering, does anyone know if we are gunna be able to go and download a playable demo for the PSP

Kassidy

Reaction score
Update everyone has been waiting for

WWE SmackDown! vs. Raw 2008 24/7 Mode Report
We get the chance to be a GM and a Superstar, but does this mode deliver?
by Greg Miller

October 3, 2007 - Just a few months ago, THQ gathered the gaming press in the shadow of Wrestlemania and let the world know that the general manager and career modes from SmackDown! vs. Raw's past was dead.

Fans didn't take it well.

It wasn't so much the elimination by combination -- you can now play as a GM or a Superstar in one mode called 24/7 -- that raised their ire; it was the overall ambiguity of this new super-mode. Would it retain the story-driven single-player mode? Would it retain the cutthroat GM business of trying to keep your show on top while keeping your superstars healthy? How would the modes bleed into one another?

We've been able to spend an extended amount of time with 24/7 Mode -- an early build of the game that is subject to change -- and have come away with a number of impressions both good and bad.

Let's start where the changes are the most noticeable -- 24/7 Mode as a Superstar. When you select the option you'll be able to start a career as a Superstar or created character. If you choose your created brawler, you'll start with your minimum attributes and begin working your way up the ladder through skill training. Choose to be an established character, and you'll be able to start with the steam the wrestler already has or from scratch to build your own dynasty.

Now, readers, brace yourself; I have bad news … possibly terrible news. You can't take an ECW Superstar (CM Punk, Elijah Burke, etc.) through 24/7 mode. Worse? You can't take an ECW Superstar who swapped shows (i.e. Sandman, Bobby Lashley, etc.) through the new career mode either. Go ahead and let out a frustrated cry, ECW fans -- we did. There's a fair amount of voice acting and show-specific storylines for Raw and SmackDown, and it would appear that just couldn't be done for poor ol'ECW.

Once you get over the grief of not being able to play as any ECW dude -- with the exception of Johnny Nitro on Raw -- you can begin your dream of becoming a WWE Legend with one of 19 available wrestlers. The mode kicks off with your Superstar meeting Vince in the middle of an empty arena and him challenging you to become a legend and make it to the squared-circle for that awe-inspiring event known as Wrestlemania. From there, you adjourn to your new home away from home -- the WWE Locker Room.

Rather than last year's first-person/glide-around-the-locker room view, this year has you anchored in one spot staring at your shirt on a hanger, Diva posters on the wall and four interactive objects -- as well as a percentage meter in the corner of the screen that tracks your progress on becoming a legend. On a bench is the latest issue of WWE Magazine (where you can check out what the other Superstars are saying about your feud), your cell phone contains e-mails -- some packing voice work -- that keep you up-to-date on backstage opportunities as well as who hates you, the calendar is where you manage your daily schedule, and your laptop keeps track of the WWE Shop, the Power 25 and your health.

Yes -- your health. New to the single-player career this year are the health woes that made up the GM mode of SmackDown's past.

For our first jaunt through the life of a WWE Superstar in SVR '08, we chose Matt Hardy and set out to make our mark on SmackDown. Theodore Long prepped us with some lengthy voicemails about becoming the number one contender, Rey Mysterio kept sending us emails saying that we hadn't earned anyone's respect, and Booker T got pretty pissed when Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley started looking at us for a starring role in an upcoming WWE film.

To make this kind of impact, we needed to push Matt pretty hard.

See, there are four days of activities outside of your respective program -- if there isn't a PPV, you get the weekends off -- and from the calendar you can choose what you want to do on these non-wrestling days, but each choice will come with its own set of positive and negative elements.

Matt's on SmackDown, so his week is free and clear up until Friday. On Monday I might invade Raw and get a popularity boost with the fans but risk getting more fatigued. Tuesday, I can select a day of R&R to counteract the fatigue but lose the ground I gained with the fans. Wednesday, I can star in a movie to get over with the fans and grab some cash, but I'm going to be fatigued coming into Friday's show.

This give-and-take is spread out over training exercises -- nifty mini-matches where you're given a goal such as completing a set number of taunts or Ultimate Control Grapples to better your stats -- skill improvement training that costs money but will teach you mic moves and heat-gathering abilities that will lead to bonuses in your daily events, and the events -- autograph signings, trophy dates, etc. -- themselves.

Now, other than the training exercises, this is all strictly handled on the stat sheet. If you choose to put your wrestler through the $5,000 pain management session, which improves your recovery rate, you're only going to see the number you've added to your skill and the money you've lost. The same thing can be said for any press conference or photo shoot you hold.

So, you can see all the options we had for young Mr. Hardy. We wanted to crack the Top 25, so we started doing movies to get over. We wanted to make a name for ourselves, so we started invading other shows. We wanted the ladies, so we started going out on dates. Our fatigue went up -- you can monitor the stat on your computerized health report -- and as that happened, so did our injury probability.

A few weeks into his run to become the number one contender, Matt suffered a herniated disc in his back. The WWE medical staff suggested he take seven weeks off to rehab the injury.

Here's where it gets weird -- and keep in mind that this isn't the final build of the game -- there was no time-off option. The WWE was telling Matt to stop wrestling, but we couldn't make Matt stop wrestling. With the herniated disc tearing apart his life, Matt began entering matches with his torso already showing damage on the HUD.

Although not being able to take time off stunk, the fact that the game made us carry injuries into our matches was a cool feature, one made better by the AI's ability to pick up on our hurtin' back. When Matt faced off against his former tag team partner Mark Henry (don't ask), the World's Strongest Man repeatedly strong Irish whipped Hardy into the corners. Matt would slam into the turnbuckles and his back would get worse and worse. In a few exchanges, Mark had Matt down for the count.

A lot of fans on the IGN SmackDown message board have asked how the backstage environment works. No, you won't be able to roam the halls at your leisure, but there are a handful of cutscenes that have your superstar walking into the ladies locker room, cutting promos -- occasionally, you get to choose your response -- and dealing with your fellow Superstars.

Hopefully, THQ and Yuke's will shake things up in the final build. In our few months as Hardy, we walked in on the ladies changing more than once and saw the same walk down an opponent-filled hallway two or three times. Worse, the walk didn't make any sense. One moment we were getting a rambling, pissed-off message from Rey Mysterio, and the next we were shaking his hand in the hallway.

Whether you love or hate the changes to the individual side of 24/7, you should find GM Mode familiar and suped-up. The mode'll start and you'll have to choose if you want to be Theodore Long on SmackDown, the Coach on Raw or Tommy Dreamer on ECW -- yeah, even though you can't wrestle as any of the ECW guys in 24/7, you can book them and use them in the GM part. From there, you'll have a private meeting with Mr. McMahon on his jet, and he'll basically tell you to take your brand to the top or look for another job. Of course, Vince says all of this in that gravely growl of his so it sounds more intimidating.

You draft a roster (or pick the preset one) while managing your budget, set folks as clean or dirty, choose champions, get to hiring writers and set up feuds, which can be tracked in WWE Magazine along with trades and the health of your crew. Basically, it's a slick version of last year's model -- except that you can now put your boys through the paces on their off days.

Just like in the Superstar portion of 24/7, GM allows you to put your performers through training exercises, skill improvement and events. It's a good way to make your roster more durable, popular and better wrestlers while making you an extra buck or too.

Obviously, there's a lot to 24/7 mode. On the single-player side, you'll be able to track your skill progression, morale and progress to Legend status while being a GM will have you balancing the books and trying to push your faces and heels in the most appropriate way. Succeed, and you can take your earnings to the WWE Shop and unlock Legends, belts, move sets and more. Fail, and Vince will make sure you never work in this business again, chump.

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2008-20071003002004915.jpg

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2008-20071003001954103.jpg

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2008-20071003001948151.jpg

Weebo

Reaction score
Wow that sound amazing, but what I didn't see is will there be a two-player superstar and GM mode in the game or are we stuck with Single-player?

Kassidy

Reaction score
very disappointing in my opinion, No ecw in 24/7 that blows, no punk. and why does it say choose from 19 superstars does that mean you can only use a certain 19 people in 24/7 mode and non of which is from ecw? i thought there was more than that in the game, and what happen to ecw being a equal part? this brings the game down alot imo and i dont know if its worth buying anymore.

PeepShow

so theres no season mode? Or is the 24/7 basically the same thing with new name?

Anyways, heres a vid with the concepts of Hardcore wrestling

[yt]zBClEvbCRIs[/yt]

Kassidy

Reaction score
24/7 isnt its own thing, its season mode and gm combined and you cant do one without the other so anyone thinking this may suck ill just stick with season mode guess what this is your season mode. some features sound cool but really read it here, "Once you get over the grief of not being able to play as any ECW dude -- with the exception of Johnny Nitro on Raw -- you can begin your dream of becoming a WWE Legend with one of 19 available wrestlers." Implying we cant use everyone in season mode?

I hope that its just cuz its the early build and when they are done we can use everyone besides ecw but there are only like 6 ecw superstars so I know there are more than 19 guys from raw and smackdown combined, that seems like a really low number.

Nancy Di Loreto

Reaction score
Well, at the end of the day, there really aren't that many ECW playable characters to have their brand, so it's pointless to play with that character on a separate brand...

Nancy Di Loreto

Reaction score
24/7 isnt its own thing, its season mode and gm combined and you cant do one without the other so anyone thinking this may suck ill just stick with season mode guess what this is your season mode. some features sound cool but really read it here, "Once you get over the grief of not being able to play as any ECW dude -- with the exception of Johnny Nitro on Raw -- you can begin your dream of becoming a WWE Legend with one of 19 available wrestlers." Implying we cant use everyone in season mode?

I hope that its just cuz its the early build and when they are done we can use everyone besides ecw but there are only like 6 ecw superstars so I know there are more than 19 guys from raw and smackdown combined, that seems like a really low number.

You haven't mentioned about the ECW role in GM Mode...