Official ROH Newswire/Videowire thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Soulpower

Newswire For The Week of January 18th
Monday, January 19, 2009

January 19th: We would like to thank the great fans in both Manassas and Edison for attending our events over the past weekend. We return to Manassas, VA on Friday night June 12th and Edison, NJ on Saturday night May 9th. Tickets are now on sale for both shows.

January 19th: ROH officials are investigating the events surrounding the dramatic and outstanding ROH World Title match in Edison between Nigel McGuinness and Tyler Black that ended in a time limit draw. There have been allegations that the match did not actually reach the 60 minute limit when the timekeeper’s bell signaled the end of regulation time. Furthermore, there has also been speculation that the intense mid-match melee, which nearly caused the title match to be thrown out and ruled a no-contest, may be connected to this apparent timing mishap. ROH officials are currently reviewing all available footage, as well as questioning timekeeper Giuseppe di Lorento and everybody else involved in the events that took place in Edison. We'll have updates as new details come to light.

January 19th: Austin Aries and Jimmy Jacobs did nothing over the weekend to clear the air as it pertains to their relationship. On one hand they seemed to cohesively work as a unit, on the other they bickered and physically accosted each other like enemies. One thing is for certain, however, Tyler Black has a bone to pick with both of them. We hope to have comments from Tyler soon as it pertains to Jacobs and Aries.

January 19th: Jerry Lynn has signed on to team with the Necro Butcher in his plight against the Age of the Fall. In Chicago on 1/31, Lynn and Necro will oppose the mammoth Brodie Lee and Delirious. Lynn defeated Delirious in Montreal back in November at “The French Connection”, so he has an understanding of how the masked man works. What isn’t clear is where Delirious’ head is at after the happenings in Manassas last Friday which saw him hand over the spike to Daizee Haze rather than use it on Necro. Necro, meanwhile, will face Brodie Lee one-on-one in Detroit. There is no telling what direction this feud will turn.

January 19th: ROH officials have been bombarded with inquiries about the appearance of Bison Smith in Manassas and Edison. The gargantuan Bison made two unannounced attacks over the weekend, and ROH security teams had a brutal time trying to control the monster of a man. His intentions in ROH are completely unknown at this juncture.

January 19th: Less than 24 hours remain in the Buy 3, Get 1 Free Ring of Honor DVD Sale at www.rohwrestling.com. Now available is "Southern Hostility" from Nashville, TN from December 6th. This event featured Nigel McGuinness defending the ROH World Title against Jerry Lynn in a great match; Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli in a NO DQ Match; Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black vs. The Necro Butcher & Austin Aries; Brent Albright & Erick Stevens vs. Sweet N Sour Inc; plus more.

January 19th: Ring of Honor RISING ABOVE continues to air on Pay Per View throughout the month of January. If you have iN Demand there is a replay scheduled for tonight at 6pm. There is also a replay scheduled for Wednesday night at 8pm EST. For complete details and replay times click here: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/article.aspx?id=2508.

comicgeekelly

Reaction score
I'm glad that they're saying that the match wasn't 60 minutes. If Tyler doesn't win the belt eventually I will be shocked.

comicgeekelly

Reaction score
^^^ NBT, who let you in here? lol

Back to the subject of the newswire, did they run out of stuff for Jerry Lynn to do already? It really doesn't make sence to have him fight against the AOTF.

Soulpower

January 20th: Kevin Steen spoke with ROH officials yesterday in regards to the challenge laid out by Claudio Castagnoli for Chicago on January 31st. “I talked it over with Generico,” said Steen. “But he was busy translating something from the ROH website into Spanish so I don’t think he was paying attention. Anyway, it doesn’t matter because I know he’s fine with me facing Claudio, as I never back down from a challenge. Claudio thinks he’s “championship material”? Well, we’ll see if that’s the case on the 31st on Pay-Per-View.” Don’t forget, Steen and Generico will defend the World Tag Team Titles in Detroit against Larry Sweeney’s American Wolves!

January 20th: Speaking of Detroit, a huge singles match has been signed. Fresh off of coming within an eyelash of winning the ROH World Title, Tyler Black will face the man with the biggest grudge against Nigel McGuinness as of late. Jerry Lynn and Tyler Black will face off in the Motor City on January 30th in what promises to be a pristine example of wrestling excellence only available in Ring of Honor.

January 20th: Jay Briscoe is tired of the double teams and cheap shots. His brother, Mark, is severely injured due to this kind of behavior by Sweet-N-Sour Incorporated. The fans in Edison,NJ witnessed Jay come to the aid of Tyler Black who faced a similar danger at the hands of Austin Aries and Jimmy Jacobs. Briscoe was victorious in an impromptu Three Way Dance over Aries and Jacobs, and now we’ve gotten word that he’s got something important to say in the upcoming ROH Videowire.

January 20th: ROH officials have been in back and forth contact with “Lightning” Mike Quackenbush as of late. We’ll have news on this as it develops.

January 20th: Roderick Strong and Erick Stevens wanted a tag team match for Detroit, and now they’ve got one. Freshly signed this morning is a match that will pit Stevens and Strong against the Age of the Fall represented by their leader, Jimmy Jacobs, and Delirious. After falling to The Necro Butcher in Manassas last Friday, Jimmy Jacobs was extremely vocal in his displeasure with Delirious’ relenting to Daizee Haze. Perhaps a convincing tag team win can cement the grasp the Jacobs has over the psyche of the Lizard Man. A newly aggressive Delirious could spell trouble for Strong and Stevens, who 24 hours later will do combat in the Cage!

January 20th: You can now save 20% off your next order at www.rohwrestling.com. As always this sale includes DVD's, live event tickets, apparel, & more. For complete details on the sale along with the discount code click here: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/article.aspx?id=2215.

..January 20th: In addition to the already announced talent for February 6th & February 7th in Florida, ROH is going to give an opportunity to some of the standout local talent from the Sunshine State. Sean Osbourne, Brad Attitude, the Dark City Fight Club of Jon Davis & Kory Chavis, as well as The British Lions (Chris Gray & Tommy Taylor) will be given an opportunity to shine in Coral Springs & Orlando, and potentially earn a spot on the ROH roster!

January 20th: This past weekend, Jerry Lynn requested a special sitdown with Kyle Durden saying that he had some things he needed to get off his chest since the last time ROH sat down with the veteran. Stay tuned for this weeks ROH Videowire to see the beginning of a very emotional interview with this former World Champion...

Soulpower

[yt]uR-q8lCs9bA[/yt]

- January 22nd: Tyler Black laid it out there in the newest edition of the ROH Video Wire and now we simply must wait. We must wait to see if Jimmy Jacobs and Austin Aries can put aside several months of bloodshed and hatred for the prospect of tearing Tyler Black apart even more than they already have. Black came closer than he ever imagined to becoming ROH World Champion, but once more, the involvement of Jacobs, Aries, and ultimately many more, seemingly shattered that dream. We know that Tyler is ready to fight, and he wants them both in Chicago. Will Jacobs and Aries accept the challenge, and if so, who will Tyler ask to watch his back?

- Speaking of the ROH Video Wire, Jerry Lynn let us in to see a side of himself that most never have. Jerry talks candidly about his experience seeing the acclaimed motion picture, The Wrestler, and in many ways draws parallels between his life and that of the main character in the film, Randy "The Ram", played by Mickey Rourke. Most importantly, Jerry raises a question in his own mind, "Was Nigel right in Nashville?" Lynn will get the chance to prove that Nigel was wrong when he faces the incredible Tyler Black in Detroit, and teams with The Necro Butcher to face Delirious and Brodie Lee on PPV in Chicago. General admission tickets for both events in Detroit & Chicago are on sale for $10 each until Friday morning at www.rohwrestling.com. Combine that price with the current 20% off sale listed on the main page of the site and you can get a great deal on tickets for these big events.

- "Sugarfoot" Alex Payne had some recent comments on his big match against Silas Young on January 31 in Chicago. Silas has paid his dues all over the Midwest, and has impressed ROH officials on a number of occasions. We now learn that he will face his toughest test yet in Detroit. Young will face a man who would challenge the adage that a leopard can't change his spots. In Detroit, Silas Young will oppose Austin Aries in singles competition. Aries, who has been talking about his great manifesto as of late, commented, "I know Silas. In fact, I know him well. I also know that time is of the essence. And I know that being in the right place at the right time is sometimes more important than anything else. On January 30 in Detroit, Silas, it won't be your time and you'll be out of place and when I'm done, another chapter of the ‘A-Double Manifesto' gets sent to print."

- ROH World Champion Nigel McGuinness was in contact with several ROH officials over the past 48 hours. As reported, ROH officials are questioning everyone involved in the main event that took place in Edison last Saturday night to ascertain whether any "foul play" took place at the timekeeper's table. The contest between McGuinness and Tyler Black would otherwise easily be considered a match-of-the-year contender, if not for this alleged black mark. McGuinness was extremely agitated when questioned on the matter, yet his denials aside, ROH officials seem to think that Nigel had more incentive than anyone else to entertain the idea of shortening the contest. Is it pure coincidence that the bell rang immediately following the same series of maneuvers that beat Nigel the night before in Manassas? We'll continue to update you as details become available.

- Speaking of McGuinness, in Detroit at "Motor City Madness 2009" he'll be in singles action and the voices of the fans have been heard. Many people have been clamoring for Jay Briscoe to get a real opportunity to showcase his skills as a singles performer, and on the 30th in Detroit he'll get that chance. It'll be McGuinness versus Briscoe, and even though it will be a non-title affair, this match could propel Jay into the upper ranks of ROH! A strong singles showing by the elder Briscoe would no doubt be a welcome delight to Mark Briscoe, who as we all know will miss considerable action. We are still waiting to find out who Nigel will face in Chicago, but we have been told that the title will be on the line when ROH returns to Pay-Per-View in the Windy City!

- With the amount of talent coming to Coral Springs and Orlando looking to prove their worth, ROH is titling the February 6th and 7th events "Proving Ground ‘09". The first match we'd like to announce for Coral Springs is a tag team attraction with plenty of intrigue as the Dark City Fight Club of Kory Chavis and Jon Davis will look to make their mark in Ring of Honor. And what better way to send a statement than by taking on the best. On 2/6, The Dark City Fight Club will take on ROH World Tag Team Champions, Kevin Steen and El Generico! Although this will be a non-title contest, a win by the DCFC would go a long way to showing that they belong in ROH.

- In other Florida news, Davey Richards and Larry Sweeney of Sweet-N-Sour Incorporated have also been added to "Proving Ground ‘09" weekend.

- Congratulations to "The Wrestler" on receiving two Oscar nominations earlier today for Mickey Rourke as Best Actor in Leading Role and Marisa Tomei as Best Actress in Supporting Role. The Oscars will be presented on February 22nd. The movie opens in select theatres this weekend in the following cities: Anchorage, Asheville, Baton Rouge, Birmingham, Champaign/Decatur/Springfield, Charlotte, Charlottesville, Cleveland, Colorado Springs, Corpus Christi, Des Moines, Ft. Myers, Gainesville, Grand Rapids, Harrisburg, PA, Ithaca, Jacksonville, Knoxville, Lansing, Lexington, Lousiville, Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Norfolk/Newport News, Northampton/Springfield, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Pittsburgh, Portland, ME, Providence, Raleigh/Durham, Reno, Richmond, San Antonio, Santa Fe, Sarasota, Spokane, Syracuse, Tallahassee, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Tucson, and Tulsa.

Soulpower

January 23rd: Nigel McGuinness is of the opinion that he is the Greatest ROH World Champion of all-time, and that it should be a completely undisputed fact by now. In fact, he recently insinuated that there is no one left in ROH for him to defeat. You can read his comments here: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/article.aspx?id=2521. ROH officials aren’t happy about Nigel’s claims, but can’t find fault in them either. The truth is that McGuinness has gone through nearly everyone that has been placed in front of him in his illustrious reign. Rumor has it that ROH officials are working quickly to finalize fresh matches that are suitable to McGuinness’ tastes as ROH returns to the Sunshine State for “Proving Ground ’09” weekend. Should Nigel escape Chicago with the ROH World Title still in tow, officials are hoping to have him defend it in either Coral Springs or Orlando. We hope to have the low down on these matches early next week in the Newswire.

January 23rd: Speaking of Chicago, we now know what El Generico was translating into Spanish when Kevin Steen accepted the challenge of Claudio Castagnoli for “Caged Collision” on January 31st. It seems that the Generic Luchador was also reading Nigel’s selfish words, and like many others in ROH, he was insulted by the arrogance. So much so that he contacted the ROH Booking Committee and begged for a chance to shut Nigel up. Of course, Nigel has defeated Generico in the past, so he has no reason to accept the match. ROH officials contacted him by phone to discuss Generico’s request. “I’ve already defeated that skinny tart,” said Nigel. “Why on Earth should anyone believe he has a claim to the Title? It’s like I’ve said sunshine, there is no one I haven’t beaten. Not that clamdigger Danielson, not Geritol Lynn, not Tyler Black, not anyone worth stepping into that damn ring with. Maybe I should reconsider, and just take the PPV off. I’ve nothing to prove – and certainly not to that skinny pale immigrant.” As the phone call seemed to conclude, Nigel spoke again, “But you know what, I’m a fighting champion though, aren’t I? And I have made a name for myself living up to every challenge that stood before me. If the fans want me to wrestle on the Pay-Per-View, and if they want me to fight that masked tart again, then I’ll oblige. And trust me, Generico will regret it.”

January 23rd: A very strange letter arrived via courier to the ROH offices yesterday, and written on it were these words. “The thundering path of the Bison will lead me through the very heart of Ring of Honor. It has begun.” The letter was not signed.

January 23rd: Just added to “Caged Collision” in Chicago on January 31st is a special attraction singles match pitting “Addicted to Love” Rhett Titus against Grizzly Redwood. Will the man with “Hammys that win Grammys” defeat the littlest lumberjack, or will Grizzly logroll his way to victory?

January 23rd: Check back later today at www.rohwrestling.com for the "Winter Savings Sale" where you can save 35% off your next order.

January 23rd: We’re excited to announce another match for “Proving Ground ‘09”. On February 7th in Orlando, Kenny King returns to ROH and will team with Rhett Titus to take on Chris Gray & Tommy Taylor, The British Lions. King’s YRR cohorts, Sal Rinauro and Chasyn Rance will also be a part of the festivities, so the deck already appears to be stacked against the newcomers from England. In any event, both teams are looking to prove their worth, and in Orlando, we’ll see who’s ready to take that next step.

January 23rd: ROH officials have made several attempts to find out which members of Sweet-N-Sour Incorporated will battle inside the Steel Cage on the 31st. Larry Sweeney has refused to budge, citing “contractual loopholes” that allow him to suppress the information. “Those idiots said they wanted Sweet-N-Sour in the cage,” said Sweeney. “And that’s how the contract was drawn up. Now they want the specific names? Am I as dumb as Albright’s hair looks? Why would I concede an obvious advantage? Why would I clue them in? There’s no way in hell I’m talking, and no one will know who I’m bringing to Chicago until it’s time to get into the cage!”

So.. It seems Bison Smith showing up is a prelude to something (or someone) bigger.

Montana

Hmmm, i have no clue who they might be referring to. I would assume someone small, and maybe chikara. Quack as a heel would be interesting, imo. Or maybe someone like Vin gerard or raven. I have no clue.

Lots of rematches going on in ROH. rematches are cool, if people want to see them, but the most hyed rematches, they dont do. 4 of the 7 matches in detroit are rematches. I think the biggest rematch ROH could do now is Dragon vs. Strong. I think the fans would like that one. Also right now, i was kinda hoping for Jay Briscoe vs. Bryan Danielson in detroit. Does anyone know if they ever had a singles match? I would assume they did way back.

Generico vs. Nigel. Cool match on PPV, however they've done nothing to build up for this.

Soulpower

Final Battle 2003.. Danielson vs Jay Briscoe. One of the better openers in ROH history (Or at least the early years) that I can recall.

And I'm hoping that this Bison stuff leads to Vin Gerard showing up in ROH.

Montana

Oh yeah, I did see Jay Briscoe vs. Bryan Danielson at final battle. That was a good match.

Somone mentioned on the ROH board, how Chikara is a completely different product from ROH. So im not so sure a chikara invasion would work. Sure a few Chikara wrestlers would be interesting, however i don't know if a fued would be ideal in this situation.

Soulpower

January 27th: Ring of Honor is very happy to announce a television partnership with HDnet TV. This is a landmark moment in company history, as for the first time ROH will have nationally broadcast programming on cable television. HDnet is the first network to feature all high-definition programming, and is at the cutting edge of modern broadcasting. Details of the announcement can be found at: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/article.aspx?id=2524, with more specifics to come in the near future.

January 27th: Jimmy Jacobs and Austin Aries have been a thorn in the side of Tyler Black for quite some time. The most recent interaction between the three saw Jacobs and Aries interfere in Black's title match on 1/17 in Edison, NJ; a match that may have seen a Tyler Black championship win if not for outside interference. This coming Saturday in Chicago, Tyler will have company to take these two on in the form of none other than Bryan Danielson! Bryan is no stranger to Aries and Jacobs; he and Austin have been partners as well as opponents on numerous occasions, while Danielson and Jacobs recently clashed in Manassas where Jacobs scored the pinfall victory. This grudge match has explosive potential has tensions will most certainly be running at an all time high. Tickets for this big Pay Per View taping are now on sale at www.rohwrestling.com. You can save 35% off tickets (see below for details) until Thursday morning. For more information on the latest in Chicago indy wrestling visit www.ChicagoProWrestling.com.

January 27th: Ring of Honor is soon heading to the Sunshine State, and on February 6th in Coral Springs, FL, Davey Richards will take on Tyler Black in a special challenge match. When Richards' agent Larry Sweeney was asked for a comment, he had this to offer: "Sweet 'N' Sour Inc. is a group of closers, baby. We get the job done every time we're out there. And if there's one thing that Tyler Black proved in Edison, it's that he's not a closer. When that wet blanket gets in the ring with Davey Richards, it will be evident that Sweet 'N' Sour Inc. always takes care of business, one way or another!" Sweeney then had to excuse himself to take a phone call from what seemed to be a former client.

January 27th: Austin Aries was the man who led to the Necro Butcher's departure from the Age of the Fall, but now he seems to be aligned once again with Jimmy Jacobs, and that doesn't sit right with the Butcher. "Any friend of Jimmy Jacobs is an enemy of mine, and I want to see my enemies in only one place. In the ring." Necro will get his chance on 2/6 in Coral Springs when he locks horns with Austin Aries!

January 27th: ROH fans will get a chance to see two of Florida's most popular wrestlers in Coral Springs when Brad Attitude takes on Sean Osbourne. When asked for his thoughts, Brad said that "this Osbourne is a sneaky guy, but come February 6, he's got an attitude adjustment coming!" In Coral Springs we will find out if that's true when two of Florida's top stars square off.

January 27th: The Winter Savings Sale is now ongoing at www.rohwrestling.com. Don't miss your opportunity to save 35% off your next order. Full details including the discount code can be found here: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/article.aspx?id=2338. Sale ends Thursday morning at 9am EST!!!

January 27th: ROH officials have been speaking with one of the top names in professional wrestling about a possible engagement in Florida. More details to follow…

UPDATE!!!!

Earlier today, as part of the ROH Newswire, Ring of Honor made the preceding announcement. Now with the negotiations put to bed, we can officially announce which top shelf competitor will be making their way to ROH during the “Proving Ground ’09” weekend in Florida. It’s a weekend in which many different competitors will be given an opportunity to showcase their skills for the first time in Ring of Honor, and we are proud to announce the addition of one more name.

On February 7th in Orlando, FL, for one night only, D-Lo Brown will look to prove himself inside the ROH ring. D-Lo is a former WWF Intercontinental & European champion, a former NWA World Tag Champion, and a former GHC Heavyweight Tag Champion. Now he is looking to forge a name for himself here in ROH. “I hear how great the wrestlers in ROH are,” said D-Lo. “And I look forward to showing the fans that it’s okay to still be down with the brown. After the 7th in Orlando, I’m sure all of ROH will be too.”

The question remains: who D-Lo will face in Orlando? ROH officials will have that announcement next in the Newswire!