Official Raw discussion thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAL

Reaction score
Can you name someone else who was hotshotted up like this and main-evented one of the Big 4 PPVs who lost their momentum that quickly? All I can think of is Umaga, but there were some other issues at play there obviously.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
You do realize with that Orton comparison reason it took so long is cause he couldn't get over right? Barrett don't have that problem. Hell this angle has actually gotten Cena more over. How is that not impressive? Worse comes to worse he'll end up on Smackdown being top heel there, but I' am pretty certain this main is gonna be a world champ one way or another. Plus do not forget that Nexus took out Taker and weeks back they teased there was a real reason why they did that so Barrett seems like he'll be feuding with Taker so this man got big plans ahead of him.

Kylie

Reaction score
I still don't understand after all the momentum and the massive push he has received, that you don't think Barrett will be a World/WWE champ in his career. He has a well rounded look and he'll only improve in the ring. He has main eventer written all over him. Whether it takes 3 months or 3 years doesn't matter, but he will get there.

And it doesn't matter what it took for Orton to get on top. The fact is after that terrible run in 2004, look where he is now.

Chuck Norris

Reaction score
Yeah, look where he is now. The stalest fucking wrestler on the planet. I'd rather watch TNA then watch his matches or promos. The Viper gimmick sucks so much it's not even worth joking about.

Kylie

Reaction score
That wasn't what I was trying to get at. :p My point is to look at his position in the company. He's one of, if not the top main eventer in WWE. Whether you like the gimmick change or not, fact is that is worked for him. Took him a few years and that may very well be the same for Barrett. I personally don't think it will take him as long as it did Orton.

Reaction score
Jesus Wade Barrett is a protected species around here. I sure as hell don't see what everyone else does to be raving about the bloke. If he can maintain this heat and momentum post-Cena asskicking, and post-Nexus breakup, then he might have a shot at the world title. Only the cream of the crop (i.e Flair, HHH, Undertaker) go from leading a stable to being the biggest dogs in the yard, and he's far from being anywhere near that

Can you name someone else who was hotshotted up like this and main-evented one of the Big 4 PPVs who lost their momentum that quickly? All I can think of is Umaga, but there were some other issues at play there obviously.

Umaga, Sheamus (although he's regaining his momentum).

You do realize with that Orton comparison reason it took so long is cause he couldn't get over right? Barrett don't have that problem. Hell this angle has actually gotten Cena more over. How is that not impressive? Worse comes to worse he'll end up on Smackdown being top heel there, but I' am pretty certain this main is gonna be a world champ one way or another. Plus do not forget that Nexus took out Taker and weeks back they teased there was a real reason why they did that so Barrett seems like he'll be feuding with Taker so this man got big plans ahead of him.

Because the original gimmick ran its course, and people didn't want to bother with it, hence the change.

It's impressive, but it isn't all Barrett getting Cena over, it's the Nexus faction. Gabriel, Otunga etc are doing just as much as Wade is to get Cena over, albeit they don't get to ramble for 10 minutes on the mic each week to do so, but they do it.

Triple H is their leader. He'll mince Sheamus @ the Rumble, turn heel, and face Undertaker @ WM27. He did it for revenge as Taker retired Shawn.

If that fails, what big plans? Be fed to Undertaker at WrestleMania?

I still don't understand after all the momentum and the massive push he has received, that you don't think Barrett will be a World/WWE champ in his career. He has a well rounded look and he'll only improve in the ring. He has main eventer written all over him. Whether it takes 3 months or 3 years doesn't matter, but he will get there.

And it doesn't matter what it took for Orton to get on top. The fact is after that terrible run in 2004, look where he is now.

I don't understand how he will be a World/WWE champ in his career. All he is, is a mic worker. He couldn't wrestle his way out of a paper bag, and his ring work is terrible.

He isn't on top though. He's an entire level below Cena in terms of face reaction, and you can't tell me people will tire of this viper gimmick, cause another heel turn, another fizzle out, and another gimmick tweak

SAL

Reaction score
Umaga, Sheamus (although he's regaining his momentum).

SHEAMUS WON THE WORLD TITLE. TWICE. Where did you see him losing momentum? What the fuck? Did you think Cena "lost momentum" when they took him out of the main event for three months?

SAL

Reaction score
And I'm not exactly a Barrett disciple. I just recognize that WWE clearly has big plans for him.

Reaction score
SHEAMUS WON THE WORLD TITLE. TWICE. Where did you see him losing momentum? What the fuck? Did you think Cena "lost momentum" when they took him out of the main event for three months?

And I'm not exactly a Barrett disciple. I just recognize that WWE clearly has big plans for him.

He went from being the WWE Champion to feuding with Santino Marella. Draw your own conclusion from that.

If they had big plans etc, he'd of won the title at the most heated part of this angle.

SAL

Reaction score
He had like two segments with Santino which segued into a feud with Morrison meant to build JoMo up, and now he's in a #1 contender match for the world title. This is a pointless argument.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Did u just bring up in ring skills as a reason why he won't win the world title? This is WWE that is not what they look for when it comes to the world champion not the main thing anyways. Miz isn't great in the ring he's pretty average but he got a shot because he is pretty good on the mic and has charisma.

Reaction score
Wade Barrett - Protected species.

He had like two segments with Santino which segued into a feud with Morrison meant to build JoMo up, and now he's in a #1 contender match for the world title. This is a pointless argument.

He still feuded with him, and lost that match to him, denting his post-championship momentum in a big way, which is now slowly being restored through the Morrison feud and KOTR victory.

What is Barrett going to do after getting his ass handed to him by Cena? He's not in a #1 contender's match, he has no stake to push for that spot with losing to Cena, and will be stuck with the gradual Nexus breakup for the start of the year.

If he does win (1% chance he does), then maybe he'll get enough momentum to warrant a chamber spot, but as for winning the title to again be wasted by Cena? Not happening.

Did u just bring up in ring skills as a reason why he won't win the world title? This is WWE that is not what they look for when it comes to the world champion not the main thing anyways. Miz isn't great in the ring he's pretty average but he got a shot because he is pretty good on the mic and has charisma.

Yes. Not in the sense of an Angle-esque technician, but his ability to sell and convey a story throughout the match is absolutely terrible. Miz does these things well enough, hence his title reign.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Yeah, nobody knew who he was. He only won the Royal Rumble and had is own segment JUST on what brand he was going to choose. He wasn't a big deal or anything. Noo...

Obviously he did, so people would care about him. I'm talking before dissension within Evolution started, when Orton was the main focus as the 'face' of RAW and not Batista. After the seeds for Evolution's inevitable destruction were planted, and they started using Batista, then people started noticing him. Before that he was just a lackey.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
The build-up to the HHH feud was what made him though. That was done extremely well. But lets not get off topic of the little GD we have going on here, it's interesting. :)

EDIT: Gonna start watching RAW now. I'm actually excited for it, it's been a long while since that has happened for me. :tardsmile: