Official Football Discussion Thread 2012/13

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Sacking Wenger won't change anything huge, the club itself needs an overhaul not just the manager.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed but he doesn't have anything else to offer. If you were underperforming in your job Dale, and not meeting targets, you'd be sacked, same would be said for me. Wenger's target is to win a trophy and he hasn't done that for 7 years, so why is he still in a job?

Aniking

Reaction score
Agreed but he doesn't have anything else to offer. If you were underperforming in your job Dale, and not meeting targets, you'd be sacked, same would be said for me. Wenger's target is to win a trophy and he hasn't done that for 7 years, so why is he still in a job?

For me, it's purely sentimental value. He has done a wonderful job building the club up to what it is today, but it seems to me like that's being held onto and used as the sole reason why he shouldn't be sacked. I can understand that, but those same sets of beliefs are what is causing the team to underperform weekly and for us to lose our top players each year. No trophy in 7 or 8 years isn't a good thing for a club that claims they're trying to challenge for the Premier League title each season.

Idk, it's all so fucked. I want my team to REALLY challenge for trophies under Wenger, but sometimes something's gotta give. Either we continue on like this and the club becomes less and less threatening when it comes to silverware, or big changes need to be made.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Which other manager could have achieved what he has at Arsenal, despite his best players being sold every year?

Owners are the problem. The way United operate should be what Arsenal are aiming for. Whilst they have debt, it's manageable debt in a sustainable business, which also re-invests money in the team. Arsenal just keep selling their best players and assuming they'll keep getting in the Champions League. It's unsustainable.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Yes Pete but it's not like Mancheser United went 26 years without a title under SAF is it..... Like I said, Wenger should be gone.

I know that but I was just putting into perspective what a crisis is. Mr Manhattan summed it up perfectly Wenger has worked miricles at the club given his restraints, and remains one of the best for devolping youth. Where would Arsenal be without him is my question.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Saying Wenger doesn't have anything else to offer is just ludicrous, if that guy gets fired then you can rest assure nearly every top club in the world will be in for him. Also, you're oversimplifying situation look at the amount of top players he's lost every season

08/09 - Flamini, Hleb, Gilberto
09/10 - Adebayor, Toure
10/11 -
11/12 - Clichy, Fabregas, Nasri, Eboue
12/13 - Van Persie, Song.

Say what you want about not winning trophies, but i'd love to see how the others would cope if they were having their best players cherry picked year in year out. The fact that he sill manages to qualify for the CL is remarkable.

Ideally, they would have the perfect balance of qualifying for the CL every year and winning a cup here and there or challenging for the league but the 4th spot is just so damn competitive and that needs to be their priority because they're way off the pace of challenging for the league. Champions League football pretty much makes the world go round for top players and chances are if you're not in the CL, they're not interested although obviously there's exceptions from time to time.

If the dangers of Arsenal slipping out of the CL weren't already blatantly obvious then they need to look no further than Liverpool. Sure they won a cup trophy, but since slipping out of the CL they haven't looked like getting back in at all with the lesser quality players they're able to attract.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Hes lost his touch in the transfer market which was his one major positive.

Before, he could unearth a hidden gem like Vieira for 3.5m, Fabregas for a nominal fee, now he's wasting big sums on sacks of shit like Mertesacker and Gervinho.

No point keeping him round for nostalgia sake, the unbeaten days are over and we will stagnate. Liverpool didn't hesitate to sack a club legend in Dalglish and he'd won a trophy.

Only thing is, Steve Bould will be our next manager 100% guaranteed, and he's just another yes man to the board.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Saying Wenger doesn't have anything else to offer is just ludicrous, if that guy gets fired then you can rest assure nearly every top club in the world will be in for him. Also, you're oversimplifying situation look at the amount of top players he's lost every season

08/09 - Flamini, Hleb, Gilberto
09/10 - Adebayor, Toure
10/11 -
11/12 - Clichy, Fabregas, Nasri, Eboue
12/13 - Van Persie, Song.

Say what you want about not winning trophies, but i'd love to see how the others would cope if they were having their best players cherry picked year in year out. The fact that he sill manages to qualify for the CL is remarkable.

Ideally, they would have the perfect balance of qualifying for the CL every year and winning a cup here and there or challenging for the league but the 4th spot is just so damn competitive and that needs to be their priority because they're way off the pace of challenging for the league. Champions League football pretty much makes the world go round for top players and chances are if you're not in the CL, they're not interested although obviously there's exceptions from time to time.

If the dangers of Arsenal slipping out of the CL weren't already blatantly obvious then they need to look no further than Liverpool. Sure they won a cup trophy, but since slipping out of the CL they haven't looked like getting back in at all with the lesser quality players they're able to attract.

Couldn't Wenger be more stronger when trying to keep players? Surely manager has a say in it and Fergie managed to keep Ronaldo longer than expected.

Aniking

Reaction score
Couldn't Wenger be more stronger when trying to keep players? Surely manager has a say in it and Fergie managed to keep Ronaldo longer than expected.

The way I see it is this:

The club has a limit with how much money they're willing to pay a player per week. If a player demands an amount per week that's above that limit, they let them go. The club do not want to break that limit as they feel it compromises their wage structure and they probably feel they don't need to pay such amounts to challenge for top honours. We've had players bought for a few mill, moulded into fantastic players, not be offered the amount they want, and then jump ship to a club who's willing to pay their wages. That's how football is these days - a player wants to win trophies and they feel they deserve the money to match their talent.

Arsenal has become more of a business for some time now and has placed too much emphasis on the finances as opposed to maintaining the strength of the whole reason it even exists - the football team. There's nothing wrong with making money as the world revolves around it. If you have the money then you can purchase whatever you can afford, and apparently we have the money. The problem is the club isn't willing to fork out that extra £20,000 or £30,000 a week to keep their top talent in fear they'll end up like a Real Madrid or Man City. What I mean by that is a player could be sitting on something like £150,000 a week and not be performing well enough. In Arsenal's case, we have Arshavin sitting on £90,000 a week and not playing.

It's gotten to the point where more and more players are moving to the club, realising their talent, being offered greater offers from clubs who truly compete for top honours every season, and the players are rightly taking them. Especially now with the new shirt deal, which has Emirates giving the club £30 million per season, we definitely do have the cash to spend on transfers and wages. Last year we bought 8 players who are listed in the first-team (Jenkinson, Gervinho, Ox-Cham, Campbell, Park, Santos, Arteta & Mertesacker) for a total of £50.4 million. This year we only bought 3 first-team players (Podolski, Giroud & Cazorla) for a total of £40.2 million. That's a difference of 5 players and £10.2 million, and I don't think either Podolski, Giroud or Cazorla were attempts at "bargain buys" like some of the 8 from last season were.

My point is we have the money and all, but it's up to the entire club whether they use it. We may have spent less this season, but it was on players who would improve the team immediately and not in the future. Wenger's a stubborn guy because he believes so strongly in what has gotten the club to this point, but the fact remains the entire game revolves around money. He's waiting for the financial fair play rules to kick in as if it'll be the fix, but something tells me it won't be.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the club not buying world class players, but once you develop them into those type of players, at least try and keep them. You've put the work in, but you're willing to let them go for good instead of offering a further £20,000 a week when you bought them for like £3 million in the first place? It just puzzles me as we truly have become a selling club. Since the 06/07 season we've let go of Ashley Cole, Thierry Henry, Mathieu Flamini, Alexander Hleb, Emmanuel Adebayor, Kolo Toure, Gael Clichy, Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Alex Song & Robin van Persie and they all moved to clubs that offered wages that matched/bettered their requests and were actually regularly winning or challenging for trophies.

Can you imagine if we kept the majority of them and didn't try to score bargains like fucking Santos or Park? The answer is this - we wouldn't be having this discussion.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
Thoughts on the FA Cup draw?

Brighton VS. Newcastle sounds a stand out to me. With the problem Newcastle are having and with it being at Brighton I can see a tasty game and atmosphere there with a rough time for the away side.

The question is... Which team do I support lol...

Gonna be a fantastic game and Newcastle would be silly to write off Brighton, this could be a Prem League fixture next season, so I'm gonna be watching this with intrigue... No doubt I'll be at the game with my ex-gf in the Newcastle end though P:

So probs end up cheering Newie but secretly hoping to see Brighton doing well to.

Lewb

Reaction score
I hope Brighton go up. As long as its not at Cardiffs expense. Great Stadium the Amex is and I like Gus Poyet as a manager.

Still 100% record at home.... Trip to Ewood Park Friday next, arguably the biggest disappointments of the championship this year. Thought they would run away with it. Spesh after buying Jordan Rhodes and Leon Best. They prob will beat us though haha

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The question is... Which team do I support lol...

Gonna be a fantastic game and Newcastle would be silly to write off Brighton, this could be a Prem League fixture next season, so I'm gonna be watching this with intrigue... No doubt I'll be at the game with my ex-gf in the Newcastle end though P:

So probs end up cheering Newie but secretly hoping to see Brighton doing well to.

They knocked Newcastle out in the fourth round last year. In a way it is a bigger game for Utd as they might see themselves as dark horses in the cup and might focus on it more with the struggles in the league. I think Brighton might sneak in the play-offs but I don't see them as quite good enough to go up yet.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Chelsea gonna get eliminated tonight too.

Rafa out.

Status
Not open for further replies.