Official Football Discussion Thread 2011/12

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Was so frustrating watching that match as an Arsenal fan!

We went in without Song, Gervinho, Djourou, Rosicky, Wilshere, Diaby, Gibbs and Traore so we had to play Sagna as a left-back.
We lost Koscielny to injury during the match, which meant we had to play 18 year old Miguel that has never played in the Premier League.
Later in the match we had Frimpong sent off, who was our best player probably alongside Vermaelen.
After we had used our 3 substitutions, Jenkinson struggled through the last 10-15 minutes with a slight injury.

As for the first goal, it was very unlucky and I hate that this crap has happened to us so often over the past year. The second goal was just worked well by Liverpool, but the absence of Song or Frimpong was clearly evident as Liverpool went forward.

If that isn't the odds stacked against you, I don't know what is.

They were all injuried thats why he didn't play them.

Well Troy it is too early in the season to be reading anything into the league tables, it is just nice for those smaller sides to get points early to take the pressure off.

And speaking of early league tables, my team are Top for the first time in years! At least until Chelsea have played LOL. So far today Newcastle, Liverpool and Villa have all had the top spot at one time or the other and like I said Chelsea may still end the day as the fourth different side to have it today.

Great upset win for QPR at Everton which just adds to their problems, but a great result for the vistors none the less. I think Rangers may go back down this season, but I fancy them to make it close if they do.

Aniking

Reaction score
They were all injuried thats why he didn't play them.

I know, that's why I mentioned them as they're all important outs. In the case of Gervinho and Song they were actually suspended.

Song, Gervinho, Wilshere and Gibbs all would've started the game if fit/not suspended.
Djourou would've been subbed on for Koscielny over Miguel if fit. Djourou actually has Premier League experience.
If Traore was fit and Gibbs was injured, Traore would've played left back so Sagna would've been in his correct position.
As for Rosicky, he may have been used over Nasri if fit considering Nasri is close to leaving.
In the case of Diaby, he would've been subbed on over Henri Lansbury if fit. Who knows, maybe he would've been used over Ramsey. No idea who Wenger rates higher.

Thought I'd clarify why they were all important outs a bit further. Am I making excuses for Arsenal? Not really. There's no way anyone can deny that we had so much going against us before and during the game.

Anyway, good to see QPR already get their first Premier League victory this season and hold a clean sheet in the process. I wonder if Norwich will defeat Stoke and earn their first Premier League victory for the season.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Very happy to see that QPR finished the game ahead and got the three points. Cahill had two excellent chances to get Everton the equaliser but both headers went wide.

Good win by Aston Villa overnight and they kept top spot on the league table for now as Chelsea won their match 2-1 and so are third due to goal difference.

The games for tonight are:

Norwich vs. Stoke
Wolves vs. Fulham
Bolton vs. Man City

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Man Utd and Spurs are 0-0 at half time, its been a good first half with both teams attacking, showing plenty of commitment, Utd might make changes if it stays goaless too long.

On the subject of the newly promoted sides, who does everyone believe has the best chance of staying up? I say Norwich. They have a nice little set up, with a good board, a good young manager, a neat blend of top flight expereince and young players, also I see them picking up a lot of good results at home.

QPR have a very experienced manager, who is very good at mativating players, but for me they have not added enough fresh blood during the summer, and do look a little naive, however now with the new owner if they can buy a couple more good players then it could make a difference, there talk of Scott Parker, he would be a very good buy for them. I think they will give it a go anyway, and be close to staying up, but at the moment I just don't see them having enough.

Swansea I think will get caught out trying to play open football like they did last year, and a bit like Blackpool last year, it will be their downfall, also I don't think they have enough player wise, and manager is quite inexperienced too, it is a big step up for him. The one edge they may have like Norwich is their home form, every match is already sold out, and there is a great atmosphere at the liberty which could make a difference. But for me they seem to have the biggest task of the three.

So Norwich to stay for me. Anyone else care to predict?

sachin tendulkar

Reaction score
I find it interesting how our defense is supposed to suck. IT DOES NOT. 2 clean sheets in 3 games and an unfortunate OG. We have issues in MF which I'm sure will be taken care of before the window ends. We'll be fine and should hit our stride soon enough

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
QPR have new owners so I expect a big signing or two before the transfer window closes that should help their chances of staying up.

Man United ended up winning 3-0 so it was a convincing win in the end it just took them till the last half hour to finish them off.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I find it interesting how our defense is supposed to suck. IT DOES NOT. 2 clean sheets in 3 games and an unfortunate OG. We have issues in MF which I'm sure will be taken care of before the window ends. We'll be fine and should hit our stride soon enough

Well you only have issues in midfeld now because of Nasri and Fabugas leaving before that you were very strong there, you are still decent, but might need to add one more body. Having TV back will really help at the back, but you still need a good partner for him. I think Arsenal need about three big signings, one a full-back like Cahill, Two a playmaker in the middle like Scott Parker and Three maybe another good centre forward to support Van Persie who does carry a lot of the bunden for goals.

Aniking

Reaction score
Van Persie carries the burden of the goals because Walcott and Arshavin aren't consistent enough with their performances, mainly Arshavin. Not to mention Wenger uses the exact same formation no matter the match or the circumstance, which consists of just one striker. I'm sure Gervinho will chip in his fair share of goals like Nasri did from his wing, and so far it looks as if Walcott is gaining a little consistency... but the problem is that's pretty much it in the goalscoring department. I'm sure the likes of Vermaelen and Koscielny will score from a corner, or maybe even one of our Centre Mids like Ramsey will pop one in too, but if we don't get a playmaker in the middle to replace Fabregas then we won't be as penetrable up front as we have been in recent seasons.

Now as much as our defence has been strong so far, especially since Jenkinson and Frimpong have played very well and Miguel showed he can hang against top Premier League opposition, we still need a big replacement in the middle. As much as Koscielny is good, Vermaelen is a step above, so we need somebody the class of Vermaelen or somebody that has proven themselves as a highly consistent performer in the Premier League, like Gary Cahill as Keith said.

sachin tendulkar

Reaction score
I dont buy this Gary Cahill deal tbh. Koscielny is good enough. He was very good against Barca last season and this being his 2nd season he'll only improve. I think we need 2 MFs and maybe a CB, wouldn't mind if we didnt get 1. MF I'd like one who can score regularly and 1 who can maybe playmaker, depending on Wilshere's fitness and Ramsey's we might need 1. Gervinho will score and Theo as well. Rosicky is past it and Arshavin needs to step up

Aniking

Reaction score
I dont buy this Gary Cahill deal tbh. Koscielny is good enough. He was very good against Barca last season and this being his 2nd season he'll only improve.

Last season Koscielny wasn't consistent enough, especially when partnered alongside Djourou. Some games it was painful to watch the two of them make crucial errors at the back, but now that Vermaelen is back he ousts Djourou from a starting spot. This still doesn't mean Koscielny will stop making errors, but I don't doubt that he has improved since last season. Problem is if one of them doesn't play, Djourou does and Djourou is still prone to making mistakes as seen in one of our Pre-season games (don't remember which one). Squillaci is nowhere near good enough and is a failed buy by Wenger, and then Miguel played well against Liverpool but is still very young. We do need at least 1 more Centre Back that is high quality or at least highly consistent in the Premier League.

MF I'd like one who can score regularly and 1 who can maybe playmaker, depending on Wilshere's fitness and Ramsey's we might need 1. Gervinho will score and Theo as well. Rosicky is past it and Arshavin needs to step up

Arshavin definitely does need to step up as I find myself having trouble taking him as a serious threat anymore. As for Rosicky, I wouldn't count him out just yet. His past few seasons have been dogged by bad injuries, so if he can have a healthy season this season then I'm sure he will show why he's still with the club. According to Wenger with the Udinese game today, he brought Rosicky on at half-time and he had a big influence. We were down 1-0 at half-time and won 1-2, yet that was the only change he made, so Rosicky had to have done something there. I think he still has plenty to offer, especially now that Nasri and Fabregas are gone.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well it looks like Troy's team QPR might be signing Joey Barton. Will be interesting to see what others make of it, personally I think it could either be a great signing or it could blow up in their faces.

There is no doubt Barton is a commited player, and his fighting quailties could be a big plus for a newly promoted side, and like wise he is a talented player who should get them a few goals, however on the other hand we all know about his attitude problems, his temper and ego, because of this he might be too much of a risk for QPR, also because the manager is such a firey character and so in your face then he might rub off against Burton the wrong way, and the pair just might not get on from the start. Thoughts?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The deal has gone though, Barton is a QPR player, it does not suprised me he had reached the point of no return at Newcastle.

Big game for my team in the early kick off tomorrow against Wolves, they are always tough games and both sides have made good start, so I expect another tough fixture tomorrow, I hope for a win, but might have to sit on the fence and go for a draw.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I don't know too much about Barton but reading up on him he seems like a bit of an idiot with a temper. Hopefully he can pull his head in and focus at QPR. Seems like an alright player.

Today's matches are;

Aston Villa vs. Wolves
Wigan vs. QPR
Blackburn vs. Everton
Chelsea vs. Norwich
Swansea vs. Sunderland
Liverpool vs. Bolton

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Poor performance on the whole by Villa today although we did improve in the second half, Wolves defended well and deserved their point which was just about the right result. Our service to Bent just wasn't good enough, and at times we gave the ball away far too easily, also I think Maclish should have been quicker brining Mark Albrighton on, he is a much better crosser of the ball than N'Zogbia who had a poor match, still not a bad result at this stage of the season and we remain unbeaten.

Doink

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Well, we won 1-0 today after a penalty in the 92nd minute scored by Arteta after Blackburn missed two penaltys. How we won, I dont know

Status
Not open for further replies.