Not To Be Heartless..

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Stay on topic.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Honestly Lawler shouldn't be anywhere near wrestling for a long while. Maybe do some backstage stuff, but that should be it.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
I really happy with the way commentary has been since Lawlers accident, so i'm kinda wanting him to call it quits.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more at the post. JR has been fantastic and JBL is the best heel commentator since.... well JBL in 2007. Couldn't be happier with the commentary, one of the few good things going on in WWE these days.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
No more lame jokes from the commentary position is more enjoyable.

I agree.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I'm surprised there haven't been more jokes about the topic title, and the fact that Lawler isn't around because of his heart.

DashX

Reaction score
In all honestly when I heard Lawler say he thinks he could come back in a couple of weeks, I got scared. Cole and JR (and sometimes JBL) are a great commentary team.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Have to agree. I haven't enjoyed Kings commentary for the longest time. Its time for him to step aside, JR and JBL have both been so much more enjoyable.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I'm surprised there haven't been more jokes about the topic title, and the fact that Lawler isn't around because of his heart.

Not surprised, also glad that there haven't been. Didn't even occur to me until you said something.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I am another that thinks this is the right time for Lawler to step aside and stay away from the announce booth. But you know that he is going to come back for at least one more run after this to show that he can still do it. I wouldn't mind a Lawler appreciation night but he shouldn't be a regular commentator again. I remember before the heart attack myself, and quite a few others, wanted him removed and replaced by a new guy like JBL, Regal, Striker etc basically someone else because he was doing a poor job. He was repetitive, was using the same lame jokes for years and was basically just coasting in his role.

I agree that Cole has been much better since the incident because he is now just a commentator again without the heel gimmick. Calling the action is a refreshing thing to hear from the commentators and I hope it continues.

Undertaker

Reaction score
To be honest I think that if Michael Cole was put back into an interviewer position and Jim Ross returned full time, commentary would be much better. I don't think getting rid of Jerry Lawler is the answer, he is only as good or as bad as WWE make him. I doubt that he really wants to keep within the PG format because I'm sure some of the older members on here will remember some of the material Lawler was using back in the day. Jim Ross, JBL and Jerry Lawler would be my commentary team moving forward.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I still say King's best work was when the WWF was PG before he became a pervert. That was funny and all, but I did think it got old pretty quick. He was a fine commentator before he ever used the word "puppies."

Zen

Reaction score
I agree that while the situation was obviously frightening, there was a positive aspect to come out of it, though that positive aspect was not JR returning(not that this is a bad thing) but it was JBL returning, who is arguably the best commentator in years, bar none. He can do everything, he will get heels over, yet at the same time he also begrudgingly puts faces over, he often makes use of his wrestling experience("I wrestled these guys before, and they were tough SOBs"), he keeps a tight leash on Cole so that Cole doesn't bring up irrelevant or tedious nonsense, he maintains his heel persona, and he highlights the strengths of the contestants well, describes in ring action in an interesting way and he ties that in with the story being told. Seriously, JBL is fucking awesome.

Reactions: 1 person

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
The only thing that irritates me about JBL is when he gets over the top and shouty

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
So it was announced on RAW last week that Jerry Lawler will return to announcing in two weeks time. Obviously it is great knowing that he has recovered so well from that terrible heart attack. But I wonder how this will shake up the announce booth which has been refreshingly good since he has been gone. JR seems adamant that he will leave the announce booth as soon as Lawler returns but will we see JBL as a third man every now and then to add his flair to the broadcast? Do you think that Lawler will actually return full time or will he make one appearance and then decide that is it?