MVP Released

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Monty: There's something to be said for WWE screwing him and holding him back, but still that drove him to the point of not caring anymore. (I know i've said similar things before about, Shelton in WWE, and I was a big fan.) And nobody's arguing it's harder to be face than heel, but MVP was just out there to be out there, face, heel or otherwise. His matches were decent and promos the same. Whether he was horribly booked, which I agree he was by the time the losing streak came around, is irrelevant to his performances. I would also debate whether he went over above and beyond what they wanted from him. He had a rep for complaining about everything, as well as again, I haven't seen any matches or promos from him since the Matt feud to be deserving of being considered "The biggest dropped ball of the decade" or anything like that. Not to mention Edge and Show are more over on a weekly basis, MVP gets pops some weeks, some weeks not. Come on, man, do you really think he's on the same level with Cena or Rey?

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
But in the end, you have a good point, maybe things would be different if he was booked better. But honestly, I don't think so. Lazy, unmotivated, jaded, it's all pretty much the same. MVP's talent isn't worthy of having a funeral over, when as mentioned before, there have been guys that were capable of great matches and were cut off before they even had the chance to get over that people think nothing of. MVP wasn't putting on such matches, and his promos weren't setting the world on fire at all, so i'm not sure what exactly you're arguing about.

Out of curiosity...honestly, are people such fans of MVP, or MVP's awesome gimmick? The man played it well, but he himself was not special as wrestler.

Montana

Reaction score
Your talking about a past 5 years that has all but ignored the midcard, so being among the best isn't a huge accomplishment. Besides, you forgot Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, Bobby Lashley, and Santino Marella -- they have all been more popular faces than MVP within the last 5 years.

I meant currently on the roster. The only face on the roster is Santino, and he's not as over as MVP. As far as mid card not being a huge accomplishment... sure. But i do think he was the best, or one of the best in the mid card over the past 5 years. So i consider that makes him have a successful career. Being a WWE television 4 years, just about every week. I think he can look back, and feel like accomplished something, even though he never won the championship.

Monty: There's something to be said for WWE screwing him and holding him back, but still that drove him to the point of not caring anymore. (I know i've said similar things before about, Shelton in WWE, and I was a big fan.) And nobody's arguing it's harder to be face than heel, but MVP was just out there to be out there, face, heel or otherwise. His matches were decent and promos the same. Whether he was horribly booked, which I agree he was by the time the losing streak came around, is irrelevant to his performances. I would also debate whether he went over above and beyond what they wanted from him. He had a rep for complaining about everything, as well as again, I haven't seen any matches or promos from him since the Matt feud to be deserving of being considered "The biggest dropped ball of the decade" or anything like that. Not to mention Edge and Show are more over on a weekly basis, MVP gets pops some weeks, some weeks not. Come on, man, do you really think he's on the same level with Cena or Rey?

Not the same level, i meant MVP was behind those guys in popularity. I don't think MVP was the biggest ball drop by any means. I just didnt like how you worded him being lazy and not caring, and all the fault on was MVP. I guess that was the biggest disagreement we have. I just think he went out there, and did what they asked. They weren't looking for him to steal the show with 20 minute matches anymore. They were using him as a veteran face, to get young heels over. ( Ex. Miz, CM Punk, Jack Swagger, Alberto Del Rio, Drew Mcintyre, Cody Rhodes) I feel he did that, and did it fairly well. I've always enjoyed his promos, which are harder for a face, but then again, it often depends on the WWE putting him in a meaningful fued, to really generate a great promo. I think it would be hard to say MVP doesn't have good mic skills.

Edge has had multiple failed face runs. Big Show is just out there. I don't recall the fans ever chanting for big show, although i'm sure that have in a rare occasion. I did really like the SHow/Swagger feud though.

But in the end, you have a good point, maybe things would be different if he was booked better. But honestly, I don't think so. Lazy, unmotivated, jaded, it's all pretty much the same. MVP's talent isn't worthy of having a funeral over, when as mentioned before, there have been guys that were capable of great matches and were cut off before they even had the chance to get over that people think nothing of. MVP wasn't putting on such matches, and his promos weren't setting the world on fire at all, so i'm not sure what exactly you're arguing about.

Out of curiosity...honestly, are people such fans of MVP, or MVP's awesome gimmick? The man played it well, but he himself was not special as wrestler.

Yep, just the lazy/ unmotivated thing. I just feel like he was did his job, and he did it well. It's tough to have a great match, when they limit the in ring time on TV and such.

As far as what i like about MVP.... I think he's a great fit for WWE. Above average mic skills, average average in the ring as a wrestler. Good character, charisma, passionate. Honestly he was the main reason why i started watching SD again in 2006, and why i still tune in now. He's entertaining. I really feel like he could have been a main event player, and i completely understand why he wasn't.

I don't think this is a huge loss for WWE....but the WWE should take notice of this trend of wrestlers wanting to leave the company, or WWE lossing talent for one reason or another. Which results in a lack of veterans to help establish the younger talent.

Reaction score
I'm not getting in to the debate, but MVP was lazy and unmotivated. He loved smoking pot and was unwilling to quit and even admitted as much in an interview when he said he didn't mind paying the fines. Why invest time in a guy who isn't interested enough to stop smoking dope to perfect his craft?

CMS

Reaction score
I don't think this is a huge loss for WWE....but the WWE should take notice of this trend of wrestlers wanting to leave the company, or WWE lossing talent for one reason or another. Which results in a lack of veterans to help establish the younger talent.

Trend? What trend? The only guys who have wanted to leave WWE have been Carlito, Matt Hardy and MVP.

Axis

Reaction score
And MVP would have to be like 50 to reach a point where he could be considered a veteran with valuable knowledge for younger guys to pick up on. And even then, it'd be like Bob Holly and Al Snow giving advice. I'm sure they taught Orlando Jordan and Luther Reigns some real gems.

Montana

Reaction score
I'm not getting in to the debate, but MVP was lazy and unmotivated. He loved smoking pot and was unwilling to quit and even admitted as much in an interview when he said he didn't mind paying the fines. Why invest time in a guy who isn't interested enough to stop smoking dope to perfect his craft?

I've never heard those reports. If thats true, than that is fine. It's not like WWE fired him for not performing, he left on his own terms.

Trend? What trend? The only guys who have wanted to leave WWE have been Carlito, Matt Hardy and MVP.

Jeff Hardy, Christian, Bobby Lashley, Brock Lesnar, Booker T, then there is some lesser known guys. I may be pulling guys from a while back, but in reality wrestlers should want to wrestle in the WWE. Not feel like they need to.

And MVP would have to be like 50 to reach a point where he could be considered a veteran with valuable knowledge for younger guys to pick up on. And even then, it'd be like Bob Holly and Al Snow giving advice. I'm sure they taught Orlando Jordan and Luther Reigns some real gems.

Well, i meant veteran in terms of he's been in the WWE 4-5 years, where as someone like Del Rio, and others are just starting out.

Reaction score
I've never heard those reports. If thats true, than that is fine. It's not like WWE fired him for not performing, he left on his own terms.

It came out around a year or so when he was talking about how he beat Raven down. I don't remember exactly if he had no problem with the fines or he quit because the fines were stacking up. Either way, I wasn't saying WWE was pissed at him or willing to fire him for being a lazy, unmotivated stoner, they just didn't bother investing time in him because of it and/or because he was a habitual user.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Wait a minute, MVP beat Raven up? Like Booker T/Batista or a work. I missed that part of the pothead story. But I do remember him saying he quit once they raised the price of the fine. He's had a while to get back on it since then though...

CMS

Reaction score
Jeff Hardy, Christian, Bobby Lashley, Brock Lesnar, Booker T, then there is some lesser known guys. I may be pulling guys from a while back, but in reality wrestlers should want to wrestle in the WWE. Not feel like they need to.

Out of those names, the only one valid may be Booker T. Jeff Hardy is a complete screw up, as it's being shown by his stint in TNA, and odds are, he just got tired of the Wellnes Policy, not WWE itself. Christian left to later return to WWE hoping to be a bigger name, Lashley and Lesnar had no passion for the business, and I am sure the other ones were fired, not wanting to leave WWE.

Heck, even some of the poorly booked talent that were fired from WWE and one would believe wanted out of WWE, want to return. Just listen to Shelton Benjamin's last interviews.

I think the only man who has actually wanted out of WWE as of late is Batista. Apparently MVP asked for his release so that he wouldn't get fired in the next patch.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Thinking business wise, I think that's a bullshit excuse from WWE. REALLY think about it. At the time, WWE was at the height of it's popularity.

Utter nonsense! 2005 was nowhere NEAR WWE at the height of their popularity.....

Have you never heard of Hogan or Austin? :roll:

MVP: Waste of talent, but the writing's sadly been on the wall for ages now. :(

Airfixx

Reaction score
LOL @ The republican-esque perception of weed/dopesmokers amongst ya'll.

I haven't seen any matches or promos from him since the Matt feud to be deserving of being considered "The biggest dropped ball of the decade" or anything like that.

Promo's:

Anyone that doesn't belive that MVP can cut a killer promo should go back, check these out and then STFU:

MVP/HHH on VIP Lounge (SD).
MVP/Flair on VIP Lounge (SD).
MVP/Miz re: US title (Raw).
MVP/Swagger (Raw).
MVP intertupts Orton during his fisrt night on Raw.

In ring:

Gets well deserved props for his work with Matt & Benoit.

Out perfomed every motherfucker in the 2008 SD elimination chamber (whilst hinting that him vs Taker would have been awesome!).

Was THE reliable, consistent in-ring performer during the MVP/Jeff/Shelton/Kendrick era of SD midcard in 2008.

Significantly outpopped everyone in the 5 on 5 match at this years SSeries and has had some tidy matches on SD of late.

...I assume this is sufficient evidence of his potential?

...god...

Reaction score
Add any heel promo he ever cut on that list..

Reaction score
LOL @ The republican-esque perception of weed/dopesmokers amongst ya'll.

Significantly outpopped everyone in the 5 on 5 match at this years SSeries and has had some tidy matches on SD of late.
There's nothing wrong with smoking dope. I spent basically 7 years of my life smoking the average human weight in pot per. But when you are an athlete where drug abuse is a major media perception and are in the biggest promotion that ever existed, it might be best to bong bust yourself if your serious about success. RVD would have been a multi time world champ right now had he not decided eating cheetos and reading comics was more important at 35+ years old than long term financial security, and maybe MVP could have lived up to his potential.

He outpopped everyone on that 5 on 5 match because Survivor Series was in his hometown. LMAO at him being jobbed first. But anywhere else, he takes a back seat to Show and Rey.

Airfixx

Reaction score
Re: @ SS - Yeah, I get that, but still that was SOME reaction - Not ya standard homecoming for a mere "career midcarder"!

Re: Dope... Aside from media perception, I don't see the issue.

I'd rather put my physical safety in the hands of a guy that was stoned at that very moment compared to someone hungover from the previous night's (i.e. morning!) alcohol.

If it wasn't illegal (which itself is utter bullshit!) we wouldn't even be having this discussion.