Movies That Revolutionized Their Genre

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Yeah, I will agree that it helped influence everything that came after it that fits into any horror sub-genre, as it did help to introduce a lot of the things that are still done in any half decent horror movie, like effective lighting, camera angles, sound effects, & soundtrack.

But when I think of Slasher flicks, Texas Chainsaw Massacre brought some new ideas foreward. The funny thing is, both Leatherface & Norman Bates are based off the same real life serial killer, Ed Gein.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Fuck a movie, how about a director? James Cameron redefined sci-fi, redefined special effects, redefined cameras, made a chick flick one of the highest grossing films ever, and made 3D more than a cheap gimmick that was forgotten in 50s matinee theaters.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Naturally Star Wars should be at the top of the list.... Although I don't think any of us (no not even me) were alive when it was originally released, I've been told by people that saw it in the theater that they'd never seen anything even remotely like it

For a more modern example, I always though the way they recreated ancient Rome in Gladiator was remarkable and like nothing I had seen before...... Plot wise, I think M. Night reinvented the swerve ending with The Sixth Sense, too bad he's made nothing but garbage since

Are you saying Star Wars revolutionized the Sci-fi movie or the family adventure film? Don't think people really see it as a Sci-Fi, but certainly it was the frontrunner in the family movie/toys are merchindise trend which we still see today with the likes of Toy Story.

Will do a list later.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Are you saying Star Wars revolutionized the Sci-fi movie or the family adventure film? Don't think people really see it as a Sci-Fi, but certainly it was the frontrunner in the family movie/toys are merchindise trend which we still see today with the likes of Toy Story.

Will do a list later.

At the time of its original release it certainly revolutionized Sci-fi in terms of special effects and storyline... It's hard to see that now because of how hokey the effects look compared to Sci-Fi movies today.. as far as the story it brought viewers in from across the board where before Star Wars, Sci-FI movies would only draw a very specific audience.... What's funny to your point about it being a family movie (which it certainly is today) is it wasn't at all intended to be a family movie. amazing how much times have changed where THE defining Sci-Fi movie of the 70's and 80's is no longer even looked upon as Sci-Fi and its target audience has probably dropped at least 10 years in age

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Blade/Spawn: Cant believe I forgot to list these before. Sure superhero movies existed before(like Batman, Superman, & Howard the Duck), but these were the 2 that showed a more adult superhero could make it on the big screen. After the success of Blade & Spawn, Fox started with X-Men & Spider-Man, WB was willing to try again with Batman after the near fatal Batman & Robin, and ofcourse we got some really great movies like V for Vendetta, Sin City, Watchmen, etc.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I'd definitely agree with the Star Wars argument. When I think Sci-Fi I instantly think of Star Wars.

I think Lord of the Rings really helped with the fantasy genre.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
The first movie that came to mind was Terminator 2 in the action genre. That movie just did so much for the genre and raised the bar to an unprecedented level that was untouchable until damn nearly the 21st century. I think that movie is a big reason there are so many action movies these days that spend ridiculous budgets just to blow shit up for 2 hours. But unlike those movies, T2 actually had an amazing story and no matter how old it gets, I'll always love that flick.

And as much as I love Star Wars, I have to admit they got a lot of their template from Star Trek. There weren't many space explosions in the original series and all that fancy stuff that we all know Star Wars for, but the ability to travel at the speed of light, use fancy hi-tech gadgets, laser weapons, and discover all these marvelous planets that take you through that really exotic sci-fi ambiance... that's all Star Trek.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The first movie that came to mind was Terminator 2 in the action genre. That movie just did so much for the genre and raised the bar to an unprecedented level that was untouchable until damn nearly the 21st century. I think that movie is a big reason there are so many action movies these days that spend ridiculous budgets just to blow shit up for 2 hours. But unlike those movies, T2 actually had an amazing story and no matter how old it gets, I'll always love that flick.

And as much as I love Star Wars, I have to admit they got a lot of their template from Star Trek. There weren't many space explosions in the original series and all that fancy stuff that we all know Star Wars for, but the ability to travel at the speed of light, use fancy hi-tech gadgets, laser weapons, and discover all these marvelous planets that take you through that really exotic sci-fi ambiance... that's all Star Trek.

Star Wars made it way more mainstream though, even if a lot of their success was borrowed from Trek.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
lol there wouldn't fucking be a Star Wars without Star Trek. Period. It's not even debatable.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
lol there wouldn't fucking be a Star Wars without Star Trek. Period. It's not even debatable.

I agreed with you, I just said Star Wars made the genre mainstream and opened the door for a ton of other movies in the mainstream sci-fi genre that Star Trek didn't.