Movies That Revolutionized Their Genre

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
While they may not be the best, they're one of the most well-known of their genre and newer movies use aspects of them because of how influential these movies were. What are some movies that you believe completely revolutionized their respective genre.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Naturally Star Wars should be at the top of the list.... Although I don't think any of us (no not even me) were alive when it was originally released, I've been told by people that saw it in the theater that they'd never seen anything even remotely like it

For a more modern example, I always though the way they recreated ancient Rome in Gladiator was remarkable and like nothing I had seen before...... Plot wise, I think M. Night reinvented the swerve ending with The Sixth Sense, too bad he's made nothing but garbage since

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Blair Witch Project. Whatever you may think of the whole 'found footage' sub-genre, there's no denying that BWP started it all, and it's been replicated so many times in the intervening years.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Twilight, unfortunately.

The Matrix spawned a whole load of 'fancy special effects rather than interesting plot' type of films too.

Most obvious one of all would be The Dark Knight making the comic book genre really depressing and dark.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
Gladiator for sure!
Saving Private Ryan. Nobody had ever seen a war movie so visceral, graphic and realistic. People hailed Platoon as the "standard" for war movies until Saving Private Ryan came along and swept it back into a dark corner of the room.
Dances With Wolves. Was a pure piece of historical revisionism. Absolutely revolutionary in terms of historical piece films. The first and best example of a western as told from the Native American experience (even though the lead character was a transplanted white man).
Terminator 2: Judgment Day/Aliens: I linked them together because of James Cameron's direction and personal involvement. Aliens literally helped shape and inspire military technology and hardware. I'm being serious. Look at what a US Soldier or Marine is wearing in A'stan right now for gear and then go watch Aliens. Even the camera and stats monitoring that happens in that movie was somewhat replicated by the DoD for the battlefield. Terminator 2 took Science Fiction light millenia years ahead of where it had been established. It STILL looks visually impressive, and it came out in 1992!!! You could say that Terminator 2 has influenced popular, social opinion into the belief that there may be an end to the technology race when someday we fight a war against artificial intelligence that we created.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Not really sure what genre Gladiator revolutionized.

The Hobbit is sure to go on this list once all is said and done.

Die Hard probably did a lot for changing the types of heroes in action.

Lonesome Dove changed the way the westerns were made in my opinion.

Avatar though I hate it and not a fan of 3D no denying it's involvement.

To name a few.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Not really sure what genre Gladiator revolutionized.

The Hobbit is sure to go on this list once all is said and done.

Die Hard probably did a lot for changing the types of heroes in action.

Lonesome Dove changed the way the westerns were made in my opinion.

Avatar though I hate it and not a fan of 3D no denying it's involvement.

To name a few.

Gladiator Movies???? I guess it was more influential in the field of visual effects than a specific genre of film

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon for Martial Arts films.... although I don't know that it was a good thing

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Night of the Living Dead: Just about every zombie anything that came after it used the same basic rules G.A. Romero created.

I Spit On Your Grave/Last House On The Left: Both were very important in bringing the strong female leads into horror.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Nightmare on elm street probably revolutionized horror flicks. I know I shit bricks when I heard the 1...2...

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Nightmare on elm street probably revolutionized horror flicks. I know I shit bricks when I heard the 1...2...

Slasher flicks really took off in 1978 with Halloween. Catch up.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I personally don't consider Psycho as a slasher, since the staple for them is typically over the top gore. Hitchcock was more about the using the ambience to scare his audience.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
True, it more revolutionized Horror in general, not the more specific Slasher genre