Marvel Studios

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
Marvel Studios has been making big waves recently and I wanted to see if anyone wants to have a good discussion about them.

Four New Shows For Netflix

Recently, Marvel signed a deal with Netflix to make exclusive shows about Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. Each show will be 13 episodes long before they come together for a Defenders miniseries. So far no casting has been made but Drew Goddard (cowriter and director of Cabin in the Woods) is in talks to write Daredevil. I can see this being a great choice as he is himself and avid fan of the character and I loved Cabin in the Woods. Marvel has also confirmed that Melissa Rosenberg (writer and executive producer for Dexter seasons 1-4) would be heading Jessica Jones. I think this could be good as well considering she was a writer for 3 of Dexter's best seasons but she also wrote Twilight so there's that. I read comics but not much super hero comics so I don't really know much about those characters. I just wanted to get everyone thoughts, more specifically those of you who are fans of the comics about all this coming to fruition.

Phase 3 Plans

As far as movies go, I have yet to see Thor 2 but I will soon. Marvel has set a huge plan in motion that will be centered around the Infinity Gauntlet. From what I understand, the gauntlet has 6 stones, Space, Mind, Soul, Reality, Time and Power. When they come together in the gauntlet, the person basically becomes like a god and is able to control pretty much everything. Kevin Feige (President of Productions at Marvel Studios) recently confirmed that the Tesseract is the Space Stone. Also more than likely Loki's staff has another stone in it. I assume mind or soul considering he controlled Hawkeye in the Avengers. That leaves 4 more to be found before it all leads up to Avengers 3 where presumably Thanos will have them all.

I'm interested to see this all play out. Marvel's ambition to make this shared cinematic universe is awesome. They've pretty much planned this five years in advance and I hope all goes well. I can see other stones being in Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2: Age of Ultron but I'm not sure what else except maybe Thor considering Iron Man and Captain America are more grounded in reality. With Phase 2 recently starting with Iron Man 3 and Avengers Age of Ultron coming out in 2015, it's safe to say it will be at least five years until Avengers 3.

I want to get everyone's thoughts on this as well as what is your favorite and worst movie that Marvel Studios has done since Phase One started? For those of you who don't know, Phase One consists of Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers. Phase two is currently Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World with Captain America: Winter Solider, Guardians of the Galaxy coming out next year and Avengers: Age of Ultron in 2015. I think The Avengers is the best but Ironman 3 is a close second. I personally didn't care for Captain America as I thought it was very boring. I haven't seen it since I saw it in theaters but I may revisit it.​

Reactions: 1 person

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
As much as I'm really enjoying this (I've always enjoyed comics and superheroes), I really hope that it lasting this long won't hurt the series/cinematic universe/whatever. I see tons of people complaining about this "superhero" wave of movies but I love them because I've always liked that stuff. So yeah, fuck you other guys, I just hope I don't get tired of it. Probably won't watch the shows though, I'll stick to the movies.

They can really lead up to something big with all this though, the set up for the first Avengers was pretty great in my opinion even if the the movies weren't great as stand-alones (save for Iron Man), they were still enjoyable action films, not like they pretended to be anything else.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I enjoy it too. I'm just wondering if they will give Hawkeye and Black widow a movie as a tandem. That seems like something they could do that would work well and really humanize their specific characters compared to the super powered or armor wearing guys they work with.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Going into Phase 3 Marvel wants to center the universe around Doctor Strange(current holder of the Soul Gem, and member of The Illuminati, a team of various heroes in the solar system who each protect one of the gems). The Infinity Gauntlet can be seen in Thor, and at the end of The Dark World one of the gems is given to The Collector, I will know more when I actually see it and not just hear about it at the local comic book store. I just hope they get Littlefinger from Game of Thrones to play Stephen Strange.

This was pretty much expected once Thanos was shown at the end scene of Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be the real start of the Thanos storyline.

As for the Netflix deal, I believe this is the right way to introduce Heroes For Hire(I don't understand going Defenders since HfH makes much more sense), If they introduce Misty Knight, and Colleen Wing they are good to go. Michael Jai White of Spawn fame would be my ideal Luke Cage.

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
As much as I'm really enjoying this (I've always enjoyed comics and superheroes), I really hope that it lasting this long won't hurt the series/cinematic universe/whatever. I see tons of people complaining about this "superhero" wave of movies but I love them because I've always liked that stuff. So yeah, fuck you other guys, I just hope I don't get tired of it. Probably won't watch the shows though, I'll stick to the movies.

I agree that quite a lot of people are tired of seeing Superhero movies out so often. I think Marvel's doing a good job of putting out two a year and they've been pretty consistent quality wise. I dot care how many there are if they're all good.

I enjoy it too. I'm just wondering if they will give Hawkeye and Black widow a movie as a tandem. That seems like something they could do that would work well and really humanize their specific characters compared to the super powered or armor wearing guys they work with.

I personally don't find Jeremy Renner charismatic enough to warrant his own film. I think the more grounded characters will do better on TV but I don't see him or Scarlett moving to TV. I'd still watch a movie with those two.

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
I hope it's not Johhny Depp. I feel like he'll ham it up like he does with all his other characters he plays.

Also Michael Douglas will be playing Hank Pym in the new Ant Man so I assume Paul Rudd will steal Hanks tech since he's Scott Lang. I really don't know anything about Ant Man but Edgar Wright is directing so I have no doubt it'll be good.

Quad

Reaction score
Worst movie: Iron Man 2

I was never really a fan of Iron Man after that, and I wasn't really impressed with how they butchered the Mandarin in Iron Man 3, but oh well, you win some and you lose some I guess.

If you want a random Hawkeye/Black Widow gimmick movie, then I think the best route to take would be to make a movie about Budapest, as it's the easiest one to make that separates them from Iron Man, Thor, Cpt America and Hulk.

Any thoughts on Marvel's Agents of Shield?

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango
Yeah Iron Man 2 is definitely one of the bottom 3 of Marvel's recent shared universe. I really enjoyed Iron Man 3 but thought it would have been better had they just stuck with The Mandarin and kept it more straight forward. I doubt we'll ever get a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie considering Marvel only puts out two movies a year and they're pretty booked up for awhile. I just hope Guardians of the Galaxy isn't too weird for regular movie goers because I love that comic and want to see movie adaptions continue.

I have yet to see Agents of Shield. The main impression I get from people who have seen the show is "eh". I'll probably check it out once it's out on DVD.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I love how people are complaining about Mandarin, when his story is yet to be told. Who can say what happens to this guy in prison, or how he may become the true Mandarin. Kingsley announced months ago that he was working on other projects for Marvel, and one just happens to be a short available on Thor: The Dark World.

Cant wait to see people bitching about Batroc The Leaper in Captain America: Winter Soldier!

Quad

Reaction score
There's really no point in watching Agents of Shield. It's quite shit.

I love how people are complaining about Mandarin, when his story is yet to be told. Who can say what happens to this guy in prison, or how he may become the true Mandarin. Kingsley announced months ago that he was working on other projects for Marvel, and one just happens to be a short available on Thor: The Dark World.
RDJ has spoken about not really wanting to do any more Iron Man movies, so that's why I thought the Mandarin wouldn't continue past Iron Man 3. Let's hope Marvel surprises us then.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
There's really no point in watching Agents of Shield. It's quite shit.

RDJ has spoken about not really wanting to do any more Iron Man movies, so that's why I thought the Mandarin wouldn't continue past Iron Man 3. Let's hope Marvel surprises us then.

They would just recast Tony Stark. Might not be capable of holding his own movie, but in all honesty he would be better in a Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.(or S.W.O.R.D. if Guardians takes off) role by the end of Phase 3. Which would give Marvel some room to work with other characters, or teams. Maybe build the Cosmic Universe with Nova Corps., Inhumans, Skrull, Kree, and possibly even Shi'ar.

Shakey

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
i know because of rights and stuff it will not happen but i would like to see a "daily Bugle" show based on a reporter who is doing a story on strange events ( i see it as an orgin type show)

CaptainxBumout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
fandango

I have no problems with the origins of The Mandarin. I just found the whole plot twist to be unnecessary and muddled up the rest of the movie. It was essentially a plot twist to be a plot twist. I think there will be seeds planted for a "real" Mandarin in the Thor Marvel One-Shot. BTW if anyone hasn't already, check out the Agent Carter short on Iron Man 3. It's pretty great.

I think they would recast Tony Stark but wouldn't do another Iron Man right away. If they keep expanding the universe, Iron Man wouldn't need to be a central character for awhile until the recast Tony Stark cements his own version as a secondary character in another Avengers or something.

Last edited: