Lucha Libre discussion thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Hardy, Anderson and Galloway? They have to have pulled these names out of a hat lol

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
The ROH team is announced and is: ACH, Brian Cage (?) & Moose.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
:burns:
Such a lucha thing to do. I guess they're setting up betrayals that way, impossible to deal with politics, lel.

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
thecubsfan
AAA held a press conference to announce the Lucha World Cup. Full final teams

• Mexico 1: Dream Team (Alberto el Patron, Myzteziz, Rey Mysterio Jr.)
  • Mexico 2 (Hijo del Fantasma, Texano Jr., Psycho Clown)
  • Mexico 3 (Blue Demon Jr., Dr. Wagner Jr., Solar)
  • Japan 1: Team NOAH (Taiji Ishimori, Atsushi Kotoge, Yoshihiro Takayama)
  • Japan 2: Team AJPW (Kenzo Suzuki, Tiger Mask III, Masamune)
  • USA 1: Team ROH/Lucha Underground (Moose, ACH, Brian Cage)
  • USA 2: Team TNA/Lucha Underground (Matt Hardy, Ken Anderson, Johnny Mundo)
  • Rest of The World (Angelico, El Mesias, Drew Galloway)

The format is single elimination. They did not announce first round matchups. They did announce special rules: all matches will have a 15 minute time limit. If there is no winner, there will be a sudden death 1v1 overtime that will last 5 minutes. (It’s unclear what would happen next – just a draw?)

Canek and the Hermanos Dinamitas (Mascara Ano 2000 at the press conference, not said if both Universo & Cien) will be part of a judging panel. They’ll decide the best match and best luchador.

The shows will air on iPPV, in English and Spanish. No price or website was reported. (I’m posting this before they’ve sent out a press release, so maybe more details in a little bit.) The Lucha Underground crew of Matt Striker & Vampiro will handle the English commentary. There’s no mention of the Spanish, but presumably it’ll be the usual AAA crew.

Dorian Roldan was asked about groups not here, specifically CMLL. He said they invited everyone, including CMLL, but CMLL turned them down. AAA would be happy to work with them in the future, which is always the case.

Edit: I thought they were done, but apparently not?

• first round matchups will be drawn on May 22nd, 2 days before the tournament.
  • the hope is to make this an annual tournament

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score

lNVdbGf.gif

Bort

WALKEN'
Reaction score
Gotta love this crazy bastard. Hard to believe he is only 21.
CMLL has a SCARY good group of young guns: Cavernario, Dragon Lee, The Panther, Boby Zavala, Guerrero Maya, Sombra, Rush, Stigma, Titan, Hombre Bala Jr. etc.

P.S. Negro Casas in a single gif:

nJghIDv.gif

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
CMLL has a SCARY good group of young guns: Cavernario, Dragon Lee, The Panther, Boby Zavala, Guerrero Maya, Sombra, Rush, Stigma, Titan, Hombre Bala Jr. etc.

Dayumn, I really have to find more time to watch AAA and CMLL on a regular basis.