Lil Wayne Wraps ‘Tha Carter IV,’ Announces Release Date

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

hbk4894

Reaction score
World Cup winner George Cohen has launched a stinging attack on England and their struggle to qualify for Euro 2008 in Austria and Switzerland.

Cohen has accused England players of a lack of passion and believes manager Steve McClaren should be replaced.

"It's absurd that we are struggling to progress," said Cohen.

"Qualification should have been a matter of course but what is obvious now is that we're not as good as we were. We have been awful."

England will not qualify for Euro 2008 if Russia beat Israel and Andorra, and Croatia earn a point in Macedonia or at Wembley on Wednesday.

And Cohen, who won the World Cup with England in 1966, is angry with the way McClaren's team have laboured in Group E.

His position becomes untenable if England fail to qualify

George Cohen on England manager Steve McClaren

"Ordinary teams give us hard work. Some of them are no better than Championship sides and the fact we can't see them off is unacceptable," added Cohen.

"I find it upsetting when I watch this England team. Look at the sides we play - some of them are genuine third world countries.

"We should be beating some of these sides hands down. Look at the last World Cup - Trinidad & Tobago gave us a good game.

"They made it hard for us and England should never have allowed that to happen.

"I found the last World Cup to be abysmal and embarrassing. Our stars were dreadful."

The former Fulham defender has also criticised the current crop of players, saying they "don't look enthusiastic".

"I can't imagine anything less passionate than the way we play now," said the 68-year-old.

"They don't want to play badly, but you can't say they're up for it."

606: DEBATE
What are your views on the state of English football?

Under-fire McClaren, who took charge in 2006, will not be drawn on his future as England manager but has received support from the likes of captain Steven Gerrard, striker Michael Owen and former England manager Sir Bobby Robson.

But Cohen believes that McClaren will have to go if England do not make the finals, backing Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill to take his place.

"His position becomes untenable if England fail to qualify," said Cohen. "If they gave [World Cup-winning England coach] Sir Alf Ramsey the sack, they can get rid of this guy.

"He's been around the England team for several years, yet in the last four major competitions we've been outrageously poor.

"Morale is obviously poor and that's down to the manager. We look depressed. McClaren just has plan A - there's no plan B.

"I'd appoint Martin O'Neill to replace him - if he wants the job. He'd be strong enough to tell the players they're not giving enough, doing enough or maybe not even good enough."

hbk4894

Reaction score
Birmingham remained tight-lipped over Wigan's approach for manager Steve Bruce after a hastily convened board meeting on Friday.

Wigan want Bruce to succeed Chris Hutchings but Birmingham would have to grant the Latics permission to talk to the former Manchester United defender.

Hutchings was sacked at the start of November after 12 games in charge.

"If Birmingham give us permission we'll talk," Wigan chairman Dave Whelan told BBC Sport.

Interview: Wigan chairman Dave Whelan
Interview: Ex-Wigan boss Paul Jewell

"If they won't Steve is under contract so we'll have to abide by that."

Bruce, who had a brief spell in charge of Wigan in 2001, has been Birmingham manager for nearly six years but he could be out of a job in January if Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung's proposed takeover of City go through.

The 46-year-old held what were described as "positive talks" with Yeung a fortnight ago after the 3-2 home win against the Latics.

But uncertainty still remains over whether he has a long-term future at City once Yeung's expected takeover takes place, which may force him to look elsewhere.

606: DEBATE
Who should be the new Wigan boss?

"Steve has worked with me before, he was with me at Wigan five or six years ago for two months and did a super job then," said Whelan.

"I know he's in a bit of a situation at Birmingham because of the takeover, they will not give him an answer or extend his contract, which is running out, so obviously he was a candidate for us."

Former boss Paul Jewell told the BBC he had rejected an "unbelievable" offer to return to the club and has since admitted his interest in the vacant Republic of Ireland job.

Jewell left Wigan in the summer, saying he needed a break from football.

I said when we stayed up that I'd taken Wigan as far as I could and I still believe that

Former Wigan boss Paul Jewell

His assistant Hutchings stepped up to replace him but was fired with the team languishing at the foot of the table.

They are currently 19th, with just two league wins in 13 games.

"I was disappointed to see Chris lose his job," said Jewell.

"The chairman called me last Monday to see if I was interested but I said when we stayed up that I'd taken Wigan as far as I could and I still believe that.

"I took them from the third tier to the Premier League and a cup final and I'm proud of that but it was time for Wigan and me to move on."

Graeme Souness and Joe Royle are two names to have been strongly linked with the position, and Royle has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Leicester manager's post, citing "personal reasons".

Wrestling God

Reaction score
Unlucky Scotland tonight they outplayed them scummy, shitty Itaialins. How on earth was that a free kick against Hutton in the last minute. I am English but I feel that scotland have been cheated by those grease f***ers.

Reaction score
Come on Scotland.Fuck the English support Scotland today & watch real men play football.Euro 2008 here we come.
i feel for you man:cry2: :cry2: but you have nothing to be ashamed of.Scotland had a great campaign.Scottish football is on the right track.WWE wish you the best in all your future endeavours:drinks_wine:

Wrestling God

Reaction score
Israel, Israel, Israel, Israel. Well done they played really well tonight. McLearn can breathe a sigh of relief because he has been given a new life line.

Reaction score
yes but with rooney and owen injured it will be a tough fight to the finish.Lampard, gerrard and wright philips will have to give 5 star performances.

Switchy

Reaction score
I still think we're gonna have De ja vu and when it looks like England won't qualify Beckham will score a last minute free kick and put us through. How come people always end up getting injured before big matches/events for us? Damn our bad luck...

phantomgerald

Damn I feel for the Scots man. They deserved it. England got a second chance, but I hope they still sack Maclaren. Isn't it blatantly obvious that he's not the long term solution.

Wrestling God

Reaction score
Damn I feel for the Scots man. They deserved it. England got a second chance, but I hope they still sack Maclaren. Isn't it blatantly obvious that he's not the long term solution.

If England go through next week you can't sack McLaren, because his objective before the qualifers began was to finish in the top two of the group and a draw or more agianst Croatia on wednesday would see him acheive it.

I admit he is not to international standard, but you can't have it both ways if we lose on wednesday then by all means sack him but, if we get through then he must continue on to Euro 2008.