Lil Wayne Dropped by Mountain Dew Over 'Offensive' Lyrics

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Lil Wayne continues to face the fallout for his crude lyrical reference to the slain Civil Rights figure Emmett Till: he has now been dropped as a Mountain Dew spokesman.

Despite Wayne issuing a public apology for comparing a sex act to Till's death (the teen was tortured and lynched for allegedly whistling at a white woman in 1955), and L.A. Reid, the head of Epic Records, reaching out to the Till family personally, the rapper has lost his promotion deal with Mountain Dew. Mountain Dew's parent company, PepsiCo, issued a statement yesterday saying, "We do not plan any additional work with Lil Wayne moving forward," reports the Chicago Tribune. "His offensive reference to a revered civil rights icon does not reflect the values of our brand."

The controversial verse was included in a remix of Future's "Karate Chop" that was leaked online in February. Sarah Cunningham, a publicist for Lil Wayne, said that the split was caused by "creative differences" and declined to speak further on the matter.

Epic issued a longer statement after the track arose. "We regret the unauthorized remix version of Future's 'Karate Chop,' which was leaked online and contained hurtful lyrics. Out of respect for the legacy of Emmett Till and his family . . . we are going through great efforts to take down the unauthorized version."

This is the second time in a week that Mountain Dew has pulled its controversial promotion by a hip-hop star. After public outcry this week over Tyler, the Creator's advertisement for the soda – which critics argued enforced racial stereotypes and downplayed violence against women – the company yanked the ad.

This is great news. I got sick every time I heard a radio ad featuring him or seeing a tv ad featuring him with Mt. Dew.

In the profession that I do I see teenagers that think that this guy is a god and can do nothing wrong along with Chris Brown.

The Viper

Reaction score
Stupid fucking reason, though.

Sent from my Droid RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
It doesn't have the lyric in this article.

He said he would tuck the pussy like Emmet till.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
He's such a cunt, glad he's been dropped.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Stupid fucking reason, though.

Not really though. Regardless of anyone's personal feelings on censorship, a major corporation like PepsiCo is not about to stand by and allow an artist associated with them to insult someone related to the civil rights movement. Any other company would have done the same thing, it's just smart business.

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
I love Chris Brown. Even though his greatest hit is still Rihanna.

The Viper

Reaction score
Not really though. Regardless of anyone's personal feelings on censorship, a major corporation like PepsiCo is not about to stand by and allow an artist associated with them to insult someone related to the civil rights movement. Any other company would have done the same thing, it's just smart business.

He didn't insult him. Lil' Wayne's raps are centered around metaphors. He's been doing it for years. I believe he's said worse but since the Till family is being all up in arms about it, Pepsi is trying to make them happy. If nobody said anything about it at all, guarantee nothing would happen.

I'm sorry but the Till family really needs to get over 1 stupid rap lyric that had NO meaning behind it whatsoever.

Bad News Booty

It’s Ghetto Blaster Time, Fool
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
bigbossman
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
How can u like Demogodz and Weezy?

The Viper

Reaction score
How can u like Demogodz and Weezy?

Other than his latest mixtape/album, I've really started to dislike him and his dumb punchlines.

But I've always been a fan of his older stuff and I'm only just defending this one line.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I believe he's said worse but since the Till family is being all up in arms about it, Pepsi is trying to make them happy. If nobody said anything about it at all, guarantee nothing would happen.
You can't guarantee that. Pepsi is a public company and would do anything in their power to damage control shit as soon as possible. You can't possibly believe some other focus group wouldn't have taken offense to the lyric if the Till family hadn't; people look for ANY excuse to complain about things these days. Anyhow, I'm not saying Lil whatshisnuts shouldn't be allowed to say whatever the hell he wants about whoever the hell he wants, I'm just defending the company's right to can him for it. :lol:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Yeah, I myself am a fan of Lil Wayne. And even if I was in the position to make the call, I would even have him dropped. When you become a celebrity, you have a large responsibility to maintain an image of what you put out in your media. The second you do something that people deem offensive (like a scandal, or inappropriate remarks, etc.) people don't know how much it hurts their career.

Lil Wayne aint losing a tearshed from me on this issue. He should really watch what he says.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Yeah, I myself am a fan of Lil Wayne. And even if I was in the position to make the call, I would even have him dropped. When you become a celebrity, you have a large responsibility to maintain an image of what you put out in your media. The second you do something that people deem offensive (like a scandal, or inappropriate remarks, etc.) people don't know how much it hurts their career.

Lil Wayne aint losing a tearshed from me on this issue. He should really watch what he says.

The problem is he doesn't care what he says or does.

If Eminem came out and said the same thing in one of his raps but changed it to beat it like Rodney it would get more of an outcry.

Hate

Reaction score
How can anyone like rap in the first place? No talent garbage music.

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
The problem is he doesn't care what he says or does.

If Eminem came out and said the same thing in one of his raps but changed it to beat it like Rodney it would get more of an outcry.

That's because Eminem is white. There is such a double standard in America.