LB presents: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Re: LB presents: The Marvel Movie News Thread

Simon Kinberg and his Genre Films banner have signed a new three-year first-look deal at 20th Century Fox.
our editor recommends
Simon Kinberg Tapped to Write 'Fantastic Four' (Exclusive)
It's Official: 'Star Wars' Stand-Alone Films From Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg in Development

Kinberg is heavily involved with next summer's X-Men: Days of Future Past and the studio's upcoming Fantastic Four reboot as both writer and producer. The new deal will allow him to expand those franchises into full-blown universes, with the hope of creating for Fox something akin to the Marvel model of interlocking movies.

"I have a lot of ideas on how to built those brands and do what everybody is thinking of these days: Be like Marvel," Kinberg tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I want to be able to build stories over multiple movies."

Kinberg is one of the town's more prolific writer-producers. He's a producer on Cinderella for Disney; worked with Neill Blomkamp on Elysium and now Blomkamp's follow-up, Chappie; and has his hands in the Star Wars universe with a gig writing and producing one of the upcoming movies while also co-creating and exec producing the TV series Star Wars Rebels.

But Kinberg considers Fox his home. He made his first film as a writer at Fox, 2005's Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and his Genre shingle has been based at the studio since 2010. Aditya Sood is president of production and Josh Feldman is director of development. "They've always been incredibly generous with me and trusting me with movies," Kinberg says of Fox. "They treat me like a partner and not an employee."

"Simon is one of the best out there," says 20th Century Fox production president Emma Watts. "We feel very lucky that he calls Fox his home and hope to build our slates together for many years to come."

Kinberg says he doesn't just want to focus on franchises or established brands. The goal is to make original projects or adaptations of works that he believes deserve a wider audience. "There is a special kind of satisfaction on working on a story that no one has ever heard before," he says.

Rust, an adaptation of an Archaia graphic novel, could get the green light next year. Carlos Saldana, who directed Rio, is slated to make his live-action directorial debut on the robot feature, which Kinberg hopes will evoke an Amblin-esque tone.

Also in the works is an adaptation of The Martian, an e-book by Andy Weir, which has Drew Goddard on board to write the script and direct.

Kinberg is repped at CAA and attorney Karl Austen.

This also allows them to continue to make the movies for years to come instead of allowing them to go to Disney and Marvel right away. Good Idea on a money maker for them.

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys

X-Men: Apocalypse Director and Cast Update
Following on from that teaser Tweet, we've now got some details.
by Chris Tilly DECEMBER 9, 2013

We’ve got more news on X-Men: Apocalypse, the superhero sequel that Bryan Singer Tweeted about last week.

The director suggested that the film would hit in 2016, and we’ve since learned that it will arrive in cinemas on May 27 of that year.

Well Vulture has now confirmed that Singer will most definitely direct, and that the film will be a direct sequel to X-Men: Days of Future Past.

But where that film is a time-travel story that focuses on the young X-Men from X-Men: First Class as well as their older counterparts from the earlier X-Men flicks, Apocalypse will just feature the young cast.

And if that sounds complicated, it basically boils down to James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender starring as Professor X and Magneto rather than Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen.

IGN

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys

The Amazing Spider-Man Spinoffs Venom and The Sinister Six Announced by Sony
Spider-Man villains to take the spotlight in future films.
by Eric Goldman DECEMBER 13, 2013

Sony have revealed their big plans to expand the Spider-Man franchise into a larger movie universe, officially announcing spinoff movies for Venom and The Sinister Six.

Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard will collaborate on overseeing the “developing story over several films” says Sony, saying they “have formed a franchise brain trust to expand the universe for the brand and to develop a continuous tone and thread throughout the films,” in conjunction with producers Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach and director Marc Webb (The Amazing Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man 2).

Kurtzman & Orci & Solomon will write Venom, with Kurtzman directing, while Goddard will write and possibly direct Sinister Six.

Said Columbia Pictures president Doug Belgard, “The Spider-Man film franchise is one of our studio’s greatest assets. We are thrilled with the creative team we have assembled to delve more deeply into the world that Marc, Avi and Matt have begun to explore in The Amazing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. We believe that Marc, Alex, and Drew have uniquely exciting visions for how to expand the Spider-Man universe in each of these upcoming films.”

Kurtzman, Orci and Pinker wrote the Amazing Spider-Man 2 and are returning to write The Amazing Spider-Man 3, which the press release notes Sony hopes Webb will return to direct.

Ed Solomon (Men in Black, Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure) is new to the franchise, as is Goddard (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Lost, Cabin in the Woods). Goddard will have his hands full with Marvel properties soon, as he’s not only working on Venom for Sony but will serve as showrunner for Marvel Studios’ Daredevil TV series for Netflix. Except for Solomon, all of Sony’s Spider-Man team have J.J. Abrams connections, with Pinkner first working with Orci & Kurtzman on Fringe and Goddard serving as a writer on Alias alongside Orci & Kurtzman. Kurtzman made his directorial debut with People Like Us last year, while Goddard made his with Cabin in the Woods.

Sony’s announcement of these Spider-Man spinoffs is the latest example of what we can refer to as “the Avengers effect” in Hollywood, as studios work to build interlocking movie universes – especially where superheroes are concerned. Warner Bros. of course are adding Batman and Wonder Woman to the next Superman movie, while 20th Century Fox are making plans for a shared universe for the two Marvel franchises they own the movie rights to, X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Spider-Man is the most successful franchise in the history of Sony's Columbia Pictures and the four Spider-Man films to date have taken in over $3.2 billion worldwide.

IGN

Postman Dave

Reaction score

Okay, I can sorta understand a Venom movie, but I don't see how a Sinister Six movie could work at all.

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys

There's been no buildup at all to Venom since the reboot. But even from the trailer to for Spiderman 2, you can see a lot of nods to the Sinister 6. It might make more sense after that comes out.

I was actually dissappointed to see that they were going to use the Osbournes and Green Goblin again.

Postman Dave

Reaction score

It's not the continuity that bothers me. It's making a comic book film about 6 super villains. How the hell is that gonna work? Especially when they do the next big Spidey film following it and the main characters from the last film are now the enemies. It's very strange.

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys

It's not the continuity that bothers me. It's making a comic book film about 6 super villains. How the hell is that gonna work? Especially when they do the next big Spidey film following it and the main characters from the last film are now the enemies. It's very strange.

Like the Avengers but different?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Postman Dave

Reaction score

Like the Avengers but different?

I guess, sort of a mirror universe Avengers.

spreading christmas cheer via tapatalk

Krisis

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kofi
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
rtruth
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
sheltonbenjamin
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys

But I do agree with you. I really don't see the point for that movie.

I guess if they put them against someone besides spider man...

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo

or it's a horror film and they just str8 up merk everyone

Postman Dave

Reaction score

Days Of Future Past is one mutant down:

Sad news for any X-fans keen to see Anna Paquin's Rogue in the upcoming time-travel mutant mash-up X-Men: Days Of Future Past, because Bryan Singer has revealed that the touchiest superhero out there will not make the final cut.

The scene she shot also included Ian McKellen's older Magneto, Sir Patrick Stewart's older Professor X and Shawn Ashmore's Iceman, and so would be firmly set in the post-Sentinel apocalyptic future. It was set to appear early on in the film, before Singer and his team realised it was "extraneous". This leaves the movie with just two Best Actress Oscar winners - Jennifer Lawrence and Halle Berry - but hopefully the Blu-ray release will make up for it.

“Through the editing process, the sequence became extraneous,” Singer told EW. “It’s a really good sequence and it will probably end up on the DVD so people can see it. But like many things in the editing process, it was an embarrassment of riches and it was just one of the things that had to go."

"Unfortunately, it was the one and only sequence Anna Paquin was in, the Rogue character was in. Even though she’s in the materials and part of the process of making the film, she won’t appear in it.”

With so many different characters involved in the project, and such a lot of story to get through, its not great surprise that certain sections will have to bow out in honour of more important plot beats. As for Paquin, she's already in the know about Singer's decision.

"She completely understood,” Singer added. “It’s very disappointing, but she’s very professional and she knows that stuff happens, particularly with material you shoot early on in production. Films evolve.”

To fill you in, if you're not already in the know, Days Of Future Past finds Professor X (Patrick Stewart), Magneto (Ian McKellen), Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) and the current X-team confronting a dark alternate future where mutants are an endangered species, tracked down, imprisoned or killed thanks to Bolivar Trask (Peter Dinklage)’s Sentinel program and an overwhelming level of distrust aimed at them from regular humans.

They boldly plan to send Wolverine’s consciousness back in time to the First Class era (or a few years after we last met those versions of the characters) to convince the younger Professor X (James McAvoy), Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and the rest to work together to stop the threat at its source.

Empire

I can only assume Iceman misses the cut too? Not surprising someone ended up on the cutting room floor though, that much talent in one production meant people were bound to lose out.

Postman Dave

Reaction score

And in more news, the worst kept secret in Hollywood is finally confirmed:

Vin Diesel is Groot!

The star of the Fast and the Furious and Riddick franchises will lend his voice to Groot in Marvel's live-action "Guardians of the Galaxy," rounding out the team that includes Star-Lord (Chris Pratt), Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper), Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Drax (Dave Bautista).

Featured in four of the six movies in the fan-favorite "Fast & Furious" franchise, Diesel has helped the series gross over $2 billion at the box office; and will reprise his role in "Fast & Furious 7." Diesel's most recent film, "Riddick," the third film in the franchise that has so far earned a cumulative $267.3 million across the globe, debuted this year at the top of the box office. In addition to lending his voice to several video games, Diesel's received great acclaim for his voice work in the celebrated animated film "The Iron Giant," directed by Brad Bird.

In the far reaches of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, an unlikely cast of characters including Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Groot and Rocket Raccoon must join forces to defeat a cosmic force of epic proportions. Directed by James Gunn, the live-action "Guardians of the Galaxy" will take fans to new corners of the Marvel Universe when it hits theaters August 1, 2014, but in the meantime stay tuned to Marvel.com for the latest news as it breaks, including official casting, first looks and more!

Marvel

702235a1-bf95-4b5f-98d9-b86720a1b627.jpg

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

I am a little pissed about Rogue being cut from the film. I like that character and when will we get to see Gambit again as he is one of my favorite X-men, thought he had a cool cameo in X-men origins with Wolverine.

Postman Dave

Reaction score

I am a little pissed about Rogue being cut from the film. I like that character and when will we get to see Gambit again as he is one of my favorite X-men, thought he had a cool cameo in X-men origins with Wolverine.

The sad thing about Gambit is that he'll always be associated with the one shit X-Men film, like Deadpool unfortunately. Two great characters brought down in one fell swoop.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Yeah I am still pissed about how much they made them suck. I hope they make little appearances in the new Xmen film to redeem themselves.