King of the Ring... Coming back?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WFS2008

Reaction score
Im glad its back because I really dont care about silly crap like people getting title shots from it or whatever, I just want to see some goddamn wrestling. Last nights Raw was awesome because it actually had wrestling and not just non stop talking. KOTR was always a great showcase for guys to show their wrestling skills and for matching different styles together. I just hope they dont use any marquee guys like Jericho that are already over (I still cant figure out why he isnt main eventing right now). CM Punk would be a great choice, as long as they arent stupid and try to work a king gimmick out on him. MVP would also be great. Shawn Michaels being a part of it is a joke even though hes my favorite wrestler.

Evil Austin

WWE has now decided not to reveal the participants for Monday's King of the Ring tournament yet. The eight wrestlers shown in a graphic for the tournament on WWE.com last night (Chris Jericho, Umaga, Shawn Michaels, CM Punk, Batista, Big Show, Triple H and MVP) are not the official participants.

Source - Wrestlezone. Thought I would let you guys know.

HHHforever

Reaction score
Just went on the wwe.com and saw a picture of Regal, Cryme Tyme, Carlito and Jericho that said they all wanted a chance to compete and win KOTR. So we are no closer to have any idea who is going to be in it. I still expect it to be a mid carder that wins. Guys like Jericho and HHH, who will not be in this imo) don't need to win something like that.

the dark knight

You people are on crack. King Booker was awesome.
he had a few moments, but over-all he was annoying.

anyway, yea, it'll be sick. this is how it should be done every time, there's really no need for a full fuckin PPV.

undertaker? no way...i just cant see that happening. just like the rumble..

HBK? isn't he on something with batista already?

batista? sigh

triple h? king of kings.....so what? doesn't mean anything. the new king of the ring could feud with trips for the title and have a similar stipulation to booker's at summerslam.

cena? he doesn't need it.

cm punk? it'd be nice but....i dunno. i still cant take that guy seriously.

kennedy? could happen, he's my #1 pick atm. if its not a surprise comeback

CenaMark54

The more I think about it, the more I think it will be Orton.

They are really pushing this guy now and they are starting to gradually make him even cockier by the week.

The fans will want to murder Orton if he wins this and has the belt. He will probably be one of the bigger heels of all time.

This way, they can create a new star by having an up and comer beat him for belt instead of HHH or Cena. CM Punk anyone? I'magine the reaction and instant stardom he would get by beating the heel champion and the King of the Ring.

Orton should steamroll through Cena, HHH, and JBL over the next couple of months. (Causing HHH to lose it and go heel). Then drop the belt in late 2008 or early 2009 to Punk (once Punk switches brands and get the mega face push)

the dark knight

how about Rey Mysterio? (a surprise comeback?)
wont happen. and if it did, ill probably stop watching wrestling for at least a month.

@cenamark, i like the idea :D. it'd be the ultimate SCREW YOU to the fans if orton won, especially if its against a big face. think of the boooooooooes..

Airfixx

The more I think about it, the more I think it will be Orton.

They are really pushing this guy now and they are starting to gradually make him even cockier by the week.

The fans will want to murder Orton if he wins this and has the belt. He will probably be one of the bigger heels of all time.

This way, they can create a new star by having an up and comer beat him for belt instead of HHH or Cena. CM Punk anyone? I'magine the reaction and instant stardom he would get by beating the heel champion and the King of the Ring.

Orton should steamroll through Cena, HHH, and JBL over the next couple of months. (Causing HHH to lose it and go heel). Then drop the belt in late 2008 or early 2009 to Punk (once Punk switches brands and get the mega face push)

Sounds good to me! :D

the dark knight said:
this is how it should be done every time, there's really no need for a full fuckin PPV.

I don't get it. The old KOTR PPV was great.

Anyone remember Bret V BamBam in the final of '93? ...That shit was just epic!

Can you imagine if they made the final 'last man standing'? LOL

the dark knight

I don't get it. The old KOTR PPV was great.
the old ones yea. cuz:
1) it was a one night tourney, just like raw next week. they stopped doing that...
2) back then, they had nothing better to do lol. well i cant judge really, but they got a huge roster these days and a lot of PPV names to be used...so adding the KOTR on raw's a good idea.

HHHforever

Reaction score
^I agree, I like the one night idea.

CenaMark,
That's a great idea, but I still think that anyone in a title feud won't be involved, just my opinion though. I agree with TDK Kennedy is my favorite at the moment, but we'll see. Can't really make a pick until we see who's in it.

Soulpower

I like Cenamark's idea, but I think that Punk's superpush will start with the KoTR. He won the MITB but he hasn't looked all that impressive as of late. He won the MITB, but he doesn't even have a match at Backlash.

Punk needs something to continue with his build, so why not have him either make the finals or win the whole damn thing? What better way for Punk to arrive (So to speak) than by going to the A show and beating some of the top names from both SD and RAW?

Or better yet... Why not plant the seeds for Orton vs Punk right now? Let's say that Punk and Orton make the finals. Randy wins in a close match, Punk gets to look good and now has a reason to go after Orton and the WWE title.

HHHforever

Reaction score
^That's a definite possibility with Punk. It would be a great way for him to break through. I guess we'll see how it goes, but as I said I can't make a pick until I know who's going to be in it.

CenaMark54

I like Cenamark's idea, but I think that Punk's superpush will start with the KoTR. He won the MITB but he hasn't looked all that impressive as of late. He won the MITB, but he doesn't even have a match at Backlash.

Punk needs something to continue with his build, so why not have him either make the finals or win the whole damn thing? What better way for Punk to arrive (So to speak) than by going to the A show and beating some of the top names from both SD and RAW?

Or better yet... Why not plant the seeds for Orton vs Punk right now? Let's say that Punk and Orton make the finals. Randy wins in a close match, Punk gets to look good and now has a reason to go after Orton and the WWE title.

Thats a great way to set up Orton vs Punk. If the WWE doesn't do this they are missing a huge opportunity. I just hope they don't give the KOTR win unnecessarily to HHH or Cena.

Switchy

Reaction score
I see either one of these three people winning it: Mr Kennedy, Triple H or MVP

I can't see Punk holding both MITB and KOTR and but I can see him reaching the final and facing MVP ad losing with MVP getting a win by putting his feet on the ropes or something ad Punk could feud with MVP and hang around te midcard like when Edge had his first MITB and then surpriseeveryone when he cashes it in but I can't se him getting the WWE Championship and he'd prolly get he WHC.

I see MVP winning more likely than anyone because 1) A king gimmick would suit him well and would add a whole new dimension to his cockyness and would get him his push to the ME and possibly the Punk/MVP feud I previously mentioned could end in a MITB/KOTR uification which could go either way but both men wold get a good runb off the feud and both have ME positions.

Triple H is second on my most likely to win not only because of his King of Kings gimmick which I think is a quite big factor and would give meaning behind the nickname but also because it may give him something to feud over and keep him off the ME at the same time. If he won he could feud with Kennedy over it while someone else can have his spotlight (even though WWE would just give it to Cena).

Kennedy is my third choice because he's been waiting for his big break into the Main Event for a long time and his momentum is starting to fall and if he wins the KOTR ovr a top face that would give him some good heat and boost his mometum straight back up and get him in the ME scene.