Is Sasha Banks the greatest female in-ring performer in WWE history?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Black Iron PJ

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Sasha Banks reminds of a female version of Kazuchika Okada, specifically the 2012-2014 years of Okada. They're both super charismatic and enormously talented wrestlers with great looks to them, and have awesome gimmick that demands them to be the top stars in their respective divisiond. Yet they also happened to be pushed aside as the top faces in favor of creative trying to emulate old stars with new wrestlers (Charlotte, 2013 Tetsuya Naito). But just like Okada in 2015, the WWE creative team will realize the potential of Banks as their own Ace and she WILL become the Women's Champion and a true star.

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Yeah and she's 39 too. I would love to see her wrestle Banks and Bayley and I think a feud with Asuka would be pretty cool too. But it would have to happen soon as she isn't getting any younger. But those could be four or five star matches.
Love the old vet roles, not nearly enough happen on the women's side of things as far as the WWE goes. Her coming back and being like Cena was when he had the U.S title, or Jericho for the most part would be prime. I remember she left on her own terms, doubt they'd have a problem taking her back.

Reaction score
Sasha Banks reminds of a female version of Kazuchika Okada, specifically the 2012-2014 years of Okada. They're both super charismatic and enormously talented wrestlers with great looks to them, and have awesome gimmick that demands them to be the top stars in their respective divisiond. Yet they also happened to be pushed aside as the top faces in favor of creative trying to emulate old stars with new wrestlers (Charlotte, 2013 Tetsuya Naito). But just like Okada in 2015, the WWE creative team will realize the potential of Banks as their own Ace and she WILL become the Women's Champion and a true star.
I hope so, man.

Reaction score
Underestimating, Gail, like that is stupid. She's had some of the best womens wrestling matches I've ever seen. Sasha just has a bigger platform with more able bodied competitors to show it off.
I am saying that her WWE work doesn't come close to Banks' WWE (or NXT) work. Gail's overall body of work, though, does come close to Banks. Hell, it could be ever better.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Except Okada was being touted as the future ever since being repackaged. His program with Tanahashi in 2013 and the numerous 5 star matches they produced shows that. Was he pushed aside for a bit? Probably, but I don't think it was ever a booking error as much as it was waiting for the right time and place. And I think they'll do the same with Banks. Was WM the right place? yeah, but there's always next year.

I guess, I'm just getting at that they weren't exactly pushed aside but were getting ready for bigger things in the long run. Which I know will happen with Banks.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

The only thing standing in her way is the way WWE tends to crap on the potential of talented wrestlers inexplicably. If they actually use her to her potential, she has the talent to easily stand among the greatest women of all time. But it's up to WWE not to screw her up like they have done with others.

Reaction score
Would like to see her return now that the division is trying to focus more on the wrestling aspect. She's still in TNA, yeah?
That would be pretty cool to see her face someone like Banks or Bayley. Given how well the Women's Division has been treated this year, a feud between the aforementioned two could be really good.

Black Iron PJ

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Except Okada was being touted as the future ever since being repackaged. His program with Tanahashi in 2013 and the numerous 5 star matches they produced shows that. Was he pushed aside for a bit? Probably, but I don't think it was ever a booking error as much as it was waiting for the right time and place. And I think they'll do the same with Banks. Was WM the right place? yeah, but there's always next year.

I guess, I'm just getting at that they weren't exactly pushed aside but were getting ready for bigger things in the long run. Which I know will happen with Banks.
But the thing was that Okada could have been the face of the company much faster and people would still accept it. His lost to Tanahashii at Wrestle Kingdom 9 made no sense as it was supposed to be the crowning of a new ace, yet they delayed it a year later. Same thing happened at Wrestlemania 32, Sasha should have won yet they gave the new title, as well as the new face of the women's division to Charlotte.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
But the thing was that Okada could have been the face of the company much faster and people would still accept it. His lost to Tanahashii at Wrestle Kingdom 9 made no sense as it was supposed to be the crowning of a new ace, yet they delayed it a year later. Same thing happened at Wrestlemania 32, Sasha should have won yet they gave the new title, as well as the new face of the women's division to Charlotte.

I disagree, I think the loss to Tanahashi at the 2015 Dome show made perfect sense. If Okada had won the belt from Tanahashi, it would have nullified the story line he had going on with AJ Styles. That whole story had AJ belittling Okada for being a "boy" and not a "man" like AJ was and not ready to be in AJ's league. It was the perfect setup in this way:

1. AJ took the belt and dominated the rematches
2. Tanahashi was able to defeat Styles when Okada couldn't.
3. Okada couldn't defeat Tanahashi, the man who beat AJ
4. Okada falls into a funk doubting himself.
5. Okada regains confidence and finally defeats Styles for the belt.
6. Okada then at the 2016 Dome show defeats the man who defeated Styles that he couldn't defeat the following year.

In my view, it was a perfect story line. They made Okada look like he was unready to be the future by showing that he couldn't do what the older Tanahashi was able to do. However, by not being able to accomplish these things clearly and then working back up to overcome both Styles and Tanahashi, he proved that he is ready to be the future. He earned it rather than having it given to him. Wrestling stories very rarely make this much sense and follow such and carry on for such a long period of time.

Last edited:

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

I'd add that giving someone a title reign or making them the face of a company or division really quickly is not always a good idea. Personally I prefer that they chose to build Okada up first because that made the eventual win that much more enjoyable. I prefer watching a wrestler build his or her way up to an eventual title reign, not just being handed the belt right away like they did with Charlotte. With Banks, I think that building her up on the main roster over time will ultimately end in a more satisfying eventual win for the belt that will also add more prestige to the title reign and thus the title. I prefer Banks over Charlotte by miles but I am okay to wait for her to get her title reign because I think it will be that much better when it happens.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score

Banks' moment is probably being held off until Summerslam in Brooklyn. I've no problem with that either, as I think there's still plenty of mileage to get out of Charlotte defending the belt, and not everything needs to happen right away.

As for the topic, Sasha is still way too early into her career for anyone to be touting her as "the greatest ever" of anything just yet. She could be there one day, but she needs longevity and a consistent level of excellence before earning that title.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Banks' moment is probably being held off until Summerslam in Brooklyn. I've no problem with that either, as I think there's still plenty of mileage to get out of Charlotte defending the belt, and not everything needs to happen right away.

As for the topic, Sasha is still way too early into her career for anyone to be touting her as "the greatest ever" of anything just yet. She could be there one day, but she needs longevity and a consistent level of excellence before earning that title.

Agree on all counts. One of my pet peeves nowadays is always how we anoint wrestlers early in their career as the greatest this and greatest that of all time. Greatness is something that is earned over time, not designated upon arrival.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Agree on all counts. One of my pet peeves nowadays is always how we anoint wrestlers early in their career as the greatest this and greatest that of all time. Greatness is something that is earned over time, not designated upon arrival.
Can't agree more.

Being considered great in any sport, especially one that's been running 100+ years, is a massive accomplishment. But with those 100+ years comes millions of wrestlers, who can be claimed and may as well be considered the greatest. You need time, a legacy, and a reputation to be considered the greatest. She has the reputation but time and a legacy is really all that evades her claim.

Krendall

The Showoff
Reaction score
The only thing standing in her way is the way WWE tends to crap on the potential of talented wrestlers inexplicably.
It's pretty easily explainable: the WWE doesn't look at in-ring talent as the main reason to market someone. What also doesn't help is the bookers tend to want to push the wrestlers they helped get over rather than the ones the fans simply connected to on their own.