Hulk Hogan Apologizes For Tsunami Promo At iMPACT! Tapings

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
For once, i'm going to defend Hogan a little.

Him taking shots and playing the "old school" card in the middle of his apology issn't doing him any favors, but i totally understand his "heat of the moment" defence.

I'm in the advertising industry working as a creative, and i've had to pitch concepts to clients on a few occasions, as well as several times a week in front of an entire class and lecturers in university as part of my training there. In order to engage your audience and draw them into what you're trying to sell, you have to be entertaining and passionate and i've usually fallen back on humour, meaning i've diverted to improv at times in order to ride the reactions and comments from the audience. And anyone who's tried humour or any kind of improv in front of an audience in whatever context (wrestling promos, stand-up, etc) will tell you that there are times when you just fall flat on your ass by letting something inappropriate or offensive slip out of your mouth unintentionally.

I guess my point is that i empathise with Hogan's mistake. I haven't seen the promo in question so i don't know how he worded the tsunami reference (did he mention Japan in any way?). Whether he intented to reference the disaster in Japan, or just used "tsunami" as a general term for distruction or whatever (Kenneth Allen touched on this), i'm not sure. But when you try improv, you're always taking a risk. I completely understand where Hogans coming from, its just unfortunate and perhaps a clumsy choice of words given current global events right now. I don't fully blame Hogan, he just got a little overzealous.

SAL

Reaction score
For once, i'm going to defend Hogan a little.

Him taking shots and playing the "old school" card in the middle of his apology issn't doing him any favors, but i totally understand his "heat of the moment" defence.

I'm in the advertising industry working as a creative, and i've had to pitch concepts to clients on a few occasions, as well as several times a week in front of an entire class and lecturers in university as part of my training there. In order to engage your audience and draw them into what you're trying to sell, you have to be entertaining and passionate and i've usually fallen back on humour, meaning i've diverted to improv at times in order to ride the reactions and comments from the audience. And anyone who's tried humour or any kind of improv in front of an audience in whatever context (wrestling promos, stand-up, etc) will tell you that there are times when you just fall flat on your ass by letting something inappropriate or offensive slip out of your mouth unintentionally.

I guess my point is that i empathise with Hogan's mistake. I haven't seen the promo in question so i don't know how he worded the tsunami reference (did he mention Japan in any way?). Whether he intented to reference the disaster in Japan, or just used "tsunami" as a general term for distruction or whatever (Kenneth Allen touched on this), i'm not sure. But when you try improv, you're always taking a risk. I completely understand where Hogans coming from, its just unfortunate and perhaps a clumsy choice of words given current global events right now. I don't fully blame Hogan, he just got a little overzealous.

I had this same thought but didn't have the desire to write something as long or as good.