Hulk Hogan Apologizes For Tsunami Promo At iMPACT! Tapings

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

RATED-RKO21

Reaction score
Sarah Michelle Gellar

c4dc3cdc3d170f9629b7c981ce440308.jpg

28c8c88763071826baa6527c0e48698c.jpg

06f3355ceeeda4ed73fcf63f908b817a.jpg

eb59ee68b2a0cc66e71e05cec9a9250f.jpg

8214bf599cfabbb69ec501177b0cb33b.jpg

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
At Monday's TNA iMPACT! tapings from Orlando, Hulk Hogan made some comments to the live crowd about members of the TNA roster wanting to join his "tsunami" - which is in pretty bad taste following the earthquake and tsunami in Japan last week that has claimed upwards of 10,000 lives.

Hogan posted the following on his Twitter account, apologizing for the remarks:

"The tsunami of wrestling wasn't cool,it will never air,it's already cut out,but when your cuttin promos old school and not following a Script like the other robots will no skills, sometimes you make mistakes. I'm sorry,I was on a roll and made a mistake.nothing but love and Total respect for Japan, but you guys already know that. I totally apologize. keepin it real HH4Life.Much respect,love for Japan HH"

Based on what we're hearing, the tsunami line was not scripted by TNA's writers. Hogan knocks script writers in his apology, but appears pretty oblivious to the downside of wrestlers going "old school" with their promos and saying the first thing that pops in their head.
What a tool. I love how even tries to play the whole improv card too.

Kenneth Allen

Reaction score
I agree he's a tool, but it wouldn't be the first time a "tsunami" reference was made in wrestling. He could very well have been going off the head, and it's my belief that he didn't mean it in the slightest towards Japan.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I agree he's a tool, but it wouldn't be the first time a "tsunami" reference was made in wrestling. He could very well have been going off the head, and it's my belief that he didn't mean it in the slightest towards Japan.
So you're saying that a tsunami and possibly a Japan reference coincidently slipped out of his mouth so soon after the disaster? Whether he meant offence or not, he definitley meant to reference it.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
smh @ him taking shots while apologizing about it. Whether he will admit it or not he was probably trying to get cheap heat from it since TNA fans don't know how to give heel heat half the time. Whatever the reason he should have known better not to say any shit like that.

Kenneth Allen

Reaction score
So you're saying that a tsunami and possibly a Japan reference coincidently slipped out of his mouth so soon after the disaster? Whether he meant offence or not, he definitley meant to reference it.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I'd have to see the context. Again, it's just my opinion but if he's going off the top of his head, and he's explaining Immortal picking up speed, becoming an unstoppable force, there's few words that come to mind to describe that..

One of them being Tsunami, or tidal wave. "We are a Tsumani of force".. that's an every day, logical thing to say. I can see him saying it, and instantly afterwards being like, "you big dope!"

Warrior referencing taking control of Hoke-Hogan's plane and driving it into the ground happened long before 9-11, which goes to show that these may be the train of thoughts that come into when describing destruction.

Did he do it on purpose? Maybe. I really don't think he said that directly about Japan. Don't rule out the fact that it could have been a simple misunderstanding. Gilbert Godfried made intentional references.. I don't think Hulk would stoop to that low. That's not drawing heat on Immortal, that's drawing heat on TNA as a company.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I mean what you said would be understandable if the Tsunami in Japan didn't just happen. But since it did and I'm sure at the time Hogan was very aware of it then he should be smart enough being a man who's been in this business longer than some of us been alive to not make any reference to something that touchy.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Maybe it's just me then, but I think you're giving him far too much credit for this supposed "accident"

There's a massive difference between saying something as coincidental as 'Riding a huge wave of momentum' for example to outright referencing the word Tsunami.

Kenneth Allen

Reaction score
It's definitely not just you, but all I'm saying is that it's possible that it simply slipped from his mouth in the heat of a promo, and it may be something he wishes he could take back.

I totally respect your opinions that he should have been more conscientious of what he was saying but if you're saying, "riding a wave of momentum" wouldn't lead you to say something like Tsunami, then that's where I'd have to disagree.

And let's be honest, even if he kept it as simple as "riding a wave of momentum", people probably would have freaked out and still accused him of making a Tsunami reference.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Well I don't think saying "riding a wave of momentum" would lead into saying Tsunami simply because I don't think it's fit in the context when talking about Wrestling. There's no way i'm going to go back and look again because I hated hearing them the first time, but i'm fairly sure Hogan has used the 'wave of momentum' line before probably around the time where he was doing those awful promos of TNA raising the bar Brother!

Also, no doubt he would have been criticised if he still said what I mentioned, but at least that could have been argued he used a common phrase at an unfortunate time.