How to book an NXT Invasion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

chessarmy

Reaction score
I think WWE is going with an NXT Invasion type storyline after what we saw on Monday, and after reading the Observer yesterday, its all but confirmed that over the next few weeks we're going to see the start of WWE vs NXT. It seems that the company is more determined than ever to make new stars due to the state of the business, this rebellion type angle will be the perfect vehicle for that. Its an easy way to get over 2-3 new guys at once, and establish everyone else as solid midcarders.

Here's basically how I would book it, take everyone from season 1 along with a few guys from season 2 and make a team of...10 guys. The rest of the season 2 rookies can turn babyface and earn their spot on the roster the normal way. I'd make the NXT team Wade, Danielson, Skip, Young, Otunga, Gabriel, Slater, Tarver, Kaval, and Riley. As for team WWE, I'd make it John Cena, Randy Orton, Edge, The Miz, John Morrison, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, and Big Show. Over the next few months, you book a 10 vs 10 feud that'll eventually lead to a big payoff at a PPV sometime down the road. This feud should put Wade Barrett and Bryan Danielson over huge, basically they need to choose two or three guys to be protected with everyone else used as midcarders. They want to make new stars, now is their chance and this is an awesome way to do it.

Thoughts on the NXT Invasion? Is WWE going to book this right or will they fuck it up and have Cena beat everyone up next week?

Mat Awesome

Reaction score
I think WWE is going with an NXT Invasion type storyline after what we saw on Monday, and after reading the Observer yesterday, its all but confirmed that over the next few weeks we're going to see the start of WWE vs NXT. It seems that the company is more determined than ever to make new stars due to the state of the business, this rebellion type angle will be the perfect vehicle for that. Its an easy way to get over 2-3 new guys at once, and establish everyone else as solid midcarders.

Here's basically how I would book it, take everyone from season 1 along with a few guys from season 2 and make a team of...10 guys. The rest of the season 2 rookies can turn babyface and earn their spot on the roster the normal way. I'd make the NXT team Wade, Danielson, Skip, Young, Otunga, Gabriel, Slater, Tarver, Kaval, and Riley. As for team WWE, I'd make it John Cena, Randy Orton, Edge, The Miz, John Morrison, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, and Big Show. Over the next few months, you book a 10 vs 10 feud that'll eventually lead to a big payoff at a PPV sometime down the road. This feud should put Wade Barrett and Bryan Danielson over huge, basically they need to choose two or three guys to be protected with everyone else used as midcarders. They want to make new stars, now is their chance and this is an awesome way to do it.

Thoughts on the NXT Invasion? Is WWE going to book this right or will they fuck it up and have Cena beat everyone up next week?

Aside from the booking, this is a great way to switch up some of WWE's alignments. What I mean is that some heels could become huge babyfaces from this. Like the Miz, when NXT started this Tuesday, everyone thought that The Miz and Alex Riley would be twin egomaniacs, but just imagine if Riley is cutting a promo next week for what happened this week and Miz comes out and tells him off. Image the huge pop he would get. If you haven't noticed, The Miz gets mixed reactions most of the time. Imagine how the crowd would react to him saying "and I'm AWESOME!"

Now on to the booking. I agree with going WWE vs. NXT, but I don't particularly agree with 10 v. 10. I would put it like 5 v. 5. Think about it, you have Barrett, Bryan, Riley, Kaval, and Gabriel on NXT's side and you have The Miz, John Cena, Kane, Undertaker, and Randy Orton on WWE's side. Now before I go on, I want to point out why I put Kane in there. In case you have forgotten, Undertaker is a vegetable. Kane is trying to figure out who did it and if they go into the direction of NXT doing it, Kane AND Taker will be after them. Now back to topic, the 5v5, NXT vs WWE, heels vs. faces feud will go on until November when Survivor Series makes its return. Haven't you heard the news? It makes perfect sense, 5v5 Survivor Series match which the rookies win by some kind of cheating or along those lines. At the next pay-per-view, Barrett goes on and challenges the WWE Champion John Cena (sigh) and wins that match thus sending the NXT vs. WWE feud down the shitter through the next few weeks.

chessarmy

Reaction score
^ Barrett vs Cena could be good but you know Cena will destroy him in 10 minutes. I agree with everything you said though, this feud could be absolutely epic if WWE books it right, imagine the number of matches that can come from this, I really hope they don't fuck it up

chessarmy

Reaction score
^ True, but he never pinned Cena to win the belt, it was put over as a lucky win by Sheamus because Cena just slipped off the top rope. I should probably rephrase though, I don't KNOW 100% that they'll job Barrett in 10 minutes, its just what my gut feeling is. If they were smart, they'd either make it a competitive match where Barrett takes Cena to the limit, or they put the belt on Barrett.

Mat Awesome

Reaction score
Honestly, I have a feeling that Barrett will win the belt through the lines of "Heelish actions". >.> I just have that feeling.

chessarmy

Reaction score
^ Yea, maybe they'll have the NXT guys interfere or something, it can be done

phantomgerald

Reaction score
You can't put all the best WWE stars into this feud because you still need enough wrestlers to sell a 3 hr PPV and fill up airtime. This is what I'll do.

1. They will just jump guys on both Raw, Smackdown and Superstars for 2 weeks. I don't care if it's face heel or diva they're hitting them.
2. Have Vince Mcmahon come out banning them from WWE forever.
3. The WWE superstars then take it out on the new rookies, by beating them up for weeks.
3. At the next PPV, have the NXT season 2 rookies walk up the ramp during some major match and have the season 1 guys come from the crowd behind the announcers table and take out everyone.
4. The NXT guys then all converge on NXT and declare that they're taking over control of the show from WWE, changing the announcers, host everything.
5. Vince then leads a crusade to take it back.

I haven't really thought it out but that's roughly what I want to see happen. I have no problems with 16 guys in a faction because you need strength in numbers in taking on an entire company.

triceki

Reaction score
Heres a thought, that some people will agree with and some wont.

What if they made Jericho the leader of NXT, I mean hes been jobbing for months now, not really in the main event anymore. I personnaly think it would be awesome to here Jericho preach/diss all the other WWE superstars and he would rub off on all the NXT guys on really how to work the mic and the crowd, not one of them is good on the mic yet.

And as far as who should be on Team WWE and stuff, So Cena would be part of the team(since he was attacked), The Miz because hes not really doing anything now and he is linked to NXT more than any other superstar, Kane/Undertaker, and Edge

Now if I was WWE, I would somewhere along the line have Edge screw over the WWE team and join with Jericho/NXT, Edge would instanly become a TOP heel again.

Then I would have team WWE replace him with Chrisitian which would put Chrisitian back into the Main event and make him over again......

They could really stretch this over multiple Payperviews if done correctly will be amazing!
Just my 2 cents and wishful thinking

phantomgerald

Reaction score
^^^ I don't think you should keep flip flopping the guys like that because he will end up like MEM/Frontline.

maty619

Reaction score
I think that they should have Abe manage the rookies and choose maybe 10 to lead the WWE cruisade, those 10 being Bryan, Barret, JG, Young, Otunga and some people from NXT 2 which I don't know who is good in. Then I would say bring HHH back to lead the pros, say have Vince ask him to do the favour and he chooses 9 pros, Edge, Orton, Sheamus (of course with a bit of a story on that), Miz, Cena, Punk, Rey, Taker, Kane to join him in facing the 10 rookies. I'd say have Sheamus get the WWE title and Taker get the WHC, Barret goes into a WWE title feud and Otunga (any of the three) wins at MITB to go into a WHC title feud with Taker. Then Rey gets the IC title which JG challenges for and Miz gets back the US title which Bryan challenges for it. Young feuds with Punk just out of dislike for each other and then the 5 on 5 tag feud. Of course for this to happen this angle will have to be drawn out a bit but I think that could be the conclusion at Survivor Series.

Reaction score
Well the MEM/Front Line could have worked had the Front Line not been booked worse than Jack Swagger's world title reign. When 5 wrestlers, all at least 35 and older (and 3 of which are barely able to wrestle a full match without be extremely protected and limited) can beat an entire roster of people half their age and twice as mobile it makes the fans stop caring. Especially when it's a constant thing. The angle should have been a little more even and ended at Lockdown with a 5 on 5 lethal lockdown match with the front line winning and ending the feud.

As far as booking WWE vs. NXT the most important thing is the NXT guys absolutely positively must look like they belong in the ring with the WWE guys. If the NXT guys go out there and are getting squashed and beaten on a regular basis all that does is kill their credibility. Secondly there has to be a legitimate reason for why the NXT guys are doing what they're doing. Something along the lines of we're tired of waiting for our spots so we're gonna take them at the expense of the WWE guys.

Kaedon

Reaction score
The problem is, an "Invasion" angle tanks when you have "teams" as in "my 5 vs your 5". It's failed almost everytime it's been tried in the history of the business. When the nWo got hot, it wasn't that it was "my 5 vs yours" that only came for the matches. What worked as that Hogan/Hall/Nash were doing whatever they wanted to WHOEVER they wanted. They guys who would step up and challenge them would always change all leading up to the monumental match between Sting and Hogan. While you aren't going to get that here because there is no one from NXT who was as over as Hogan was, I think a leader can be established and the rest of it can go from there. Barrett leads the NXT charge to take over the WWE, with probably Shemus and a few others joining up. It's going to be really hard to book this though as the NXT rookies, as heels, have to be in a position of dominance to gain heat for a good amount of time. The way Cena was destroyed on Raw was a great start, but sneak attacks will get old after a while.

CMS

Reaction score
I read something on PWtorch that I agreed with. NXT vs WWE shouldn't consume the entire promotion. I don't want Raw to become 2 hours of rookies vs pros. That, and besides, you can't put John Cena, Undertaker, Edge, Randy Orton you name them all against the rookies and actually expect the feud to be an even fight. You'll just end up squashing the rookies.

Wade Barret vs John Cena seems like the most obvious way to go as of right now after Fatal Four Way. He does have a title match and he did say in his Raw promo that what was going to happen that week would take him to the WWE Heavyweight Championship. You also have to fathom the fact that the pros, or WWE for that matter, shouldn't have nothing against the rookies. Guys like Randy Orton, Edge, have no reason as for now to go after the rookies. We don't even know if the angle will be NXT trying to destroy the WWE or just trying to make an impact and get contracts for themselves. As of now, the only one with a vengeance should be John Cena and if you want to stretch things, Bret Hart for them causing Havoc on Raw. Maybe CM Punk but that would be complicating things too much from the get go.

Have Barret win the belt from Cena and then you can start building your angle. But as of now, I don't see how it should be nothing more than NXT vs Cena