How TNA Can Live Up To Their Motto, "Where Wrestling Matters"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sultans09

Reaction score
Emphasize the importance of winning and losing.

That way every single match has some significance, and, most importantly, you create an ability to design angles off the winning/losing dynamic. The most obvious being undefeated streaks, but obviously, you can get much more imaginative than that. In any event, acknowledging wins and losses makes the wrestling aspect of the show appear as if it matters.

Have more clean wrestling matches.

This allows ref bumps, interference, heels cheating, etc. to have way more meaning when it occurs. And I believe the usual viewer rather see matches unsoiled rather than have matches with a lot shenanigans.

Distinguish the roster and have them have distinct roles.

By having distinguished characters and distinct roles, the audience will be allowed to get a certain understanding of each wrestler - who they are, what they stand for, their morals, etc. Once you build up those attributions of a wrestler, switching them right away not only will screw up their characters' believably but also confuse your audience, something you never want to do. In other words, don't change wrestlers from heel to face every week. Do it less often so not only will the fans not be confused but also because it will be a bigger deal when it happens.

Set in stone rules and regulations to a match.

What rules will do inside and outside the ring is allow wrestlers to break them. The reason to do this is for your heels to get over because they are breaking the rules that they are able to break. Plus, it also makes what heels do outside the ring more important. I personally would set consistent and detailed consequences to those who fail to follow the rules. Fines, suspensions, and firings are common ones to utilize. Ultimately, by doing these things, it will make heels get more over as an antagonist and hopefully make your audience demise them, something you want them to do.

Have announcers stress the points where something good or bad is happening.

Announcers are the voice of a company; therefore, people listen to what they say, so have them say what you want to get over, and have announcers that are good at being genuine about it, not forced and overly scripted.

Have wrestlers be more straight-forward in their promos

Instead of having long-winded, incoherent promos, have wrestlers and others talk more about what they are doing in preparation - for instance, working the gym, how they are preparing for an upcoming matches - for instance, if they are wrestling against someone with a different as them or unique style, or someone bigger or smaller than them Things to that nature bring a more realistic environment into the product.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
Basically you want them to become like UFC but in wrestling

Montana

Reaction score
I think they need to quit rating wrestlers based on what they did in the past in other promotions, and not have that transfer over to TNA. The problem they have struggled with the past 5 years, is that they want the belt on a well known veteran, and to do that the former WWE star needs to go over the home grown TNA talent. (rather than using the veteran to put over the TNA talent) Not saying guys like Angle/Sting shouldn't be where they are, but put the spotlight on guys like AJ Styles, Somoa Joe, Beer Money, MCMG. Basically like how they hyped up destination X. In order to do that though....TNA would have to be willing to risk ratings and profits, if in fact that is not the best answer, and wrestling does not sell.

1chiban

Reaction score
The Bound For Glory series is a start in terms o making things seem more legitimate. For instance, stuff like Samoa Joe going for a submission victory to get more points and ending up losing because he missed so many pinfall opportunities is brilliant stuff imo.

Sultans09

Reaction score
Basically you want them to become like UFC but in wrestling

First of all, UFC is not a sport. It is a company. Do you compare things to WWE or do you say professional wrestling? That said, MMA and professional wrestling are almost the same thing, except one is real and one is fake. In fact, a lot of MMA moves comes from professional-wrestling. In addition to that, pro-wrestling use to be real, but people started getting sick of seeing long-winded fights and the popularity of wrestling went down. Thus, they started to make it fake so there'd be shorter matches and more entertainment coming out of the matches. Ultimately, you are saying you're trying to make them become more so like oldschool wrestling and the answer is pretty much yes. They should use oldschool philosophies with up-to-the-date characters that fit in our society. I know you haven't watched Mid:South because you strike me as a person who has only been watching wrestling for 10 year, but I advise you to.

Oh, and by the way, in case for whatever reason you believe I have no proof to back this up, check out the Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe PPV buyrate in 2008. The build was heated - two guys who just don't like each other and a clear understanding why they don't like each other - and logically built up with no "sports entertainment" booking, just straight-forward realistic build, and, as a result, the PPV did the best buyrate in TNA history.

1chiban

Reaction score
And Joe-Angle was something of a 'dream' match as it were.

Sultans09

Reaction score
I'm talking about their 5th match at Lockdown, not their first one. By April 2008, Joe and Angle wasn't a dream match.

Rell

Reaction score
The Bound For Glory series is a start in terms o making things seem more legitimate.

The problem is, there's too many people involved in the series that I don't give two shits about.

I mean really, Scott Steiner, Bully Ray... Murphy (or Gunner?), Crimson...who!?

Team 3D's school is up there with Famine and Disease in terms of shittyness. As for the question, singing the other 3 participants from Destination X's 4-way would be a start. There should be a decent X-Division 4-way on every show. Similar to those 4 corner survival matches ROH used to do. ECW basically put 3-Way's on the map. TNA should do that for the 4-way.

Sultans09

Reaction score
I agree with Rebel about not giving two shits about that tournament. As mentioned, he went through the dead-weights in the match- although I am actually enjoying Bully Ray right now from a character standpoint, but yeah, his matches still blow. On top of that, I myself, not a regular viewer of Impact, (In fact, I've only seen maybe 2 full shows this year of the show) find the point system very convoluted. Any non-regular viewer like myself must tune in having no idea how this tournament works. Doing some reading has educated me on how it does work, but the average wrestling fan doesn't want to have to memorize rules like they're studying for a Science quiz. The tournament has been also going on for too long now, making it very tedious and long-winded. It would've been easier to execute, delivery, and easier for the viewer to understand a generic tournament; for instance, a red round tournament.

...god...

Reaction score
this is like the easiest thing to figure out, you get points for winning and more points for a submission. a "casual fan" is not gonna go more into depth or give two shits how many points for each outcome, they just see winner(s) and see someone with the highest points and put two and two together.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Yes, Impact Wrestling absolutely wants to make their audience demise the heels. Nevermind despising them... demise them! NOW!

Axis

Reaction score
They could start by having a roster of good wrestlers.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Well, considering CM Punk and John Cena just rewrote the book on how to sell and perform... and looking at TNA's roster right now... they're dead. Looks like WWE's top guys just did their job and put TNA out of business for good.

Rell

Reaction score
before this turns into a "WWE is Good, TNA is bad" thread, TNA is coming off a pretty damn good PPV themselves, and its focus was on wrestling.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
before this turns into a "WWE is Good, TNA is bad" thread, TNA is coming off a pretty damn good PPV themselves, it its focus was on wrestling.

Good PPV? The only good match on the entire card was the 4-way with 0 TNA talent. Daniels vs. Styles was sloppy (I believe due to Daniels being hurt in the match) and the rest of the card was just sloppy. It was better than a lot of the garbage they put on PPV, especially after consecutive, multiple Heavyweight title botch finishes... but it was still not even as good as a lot of their Impact programs...