Hot and Not in Pro Wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Reaction score
Here's basically what i like right now with wrestling (Hot) and the Not or Cold in wrestling, which is what i don't like.

HOT

* "Black Nature Boy" Jay Lethal - His promo's with Flair are great. I love the angle of Lethal's brother coming in and AJ/Flair taking him out. This is a pretty good storyline. Don't sleep.

* The NXT Invasion - They lost a lot of steam when Danielson was let go, however they've kept up nicely. I'm still not sure if i want these guys in a main event storyline, but it's working for now.

* ROH Death Before Dishonor 2010 - PPV of the year, enough said

* Davey Richards vs. Kenny Omega Fued. This is the next great indy fued in the likes of Samoa vs. CM PUnk, Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuiness. Check out ROH's Epic Encounter III, Clash of the Contender, and PWG As the Worm turns.

* Hogan and Abyss Fued - This fued is being carried by Abyss. His promo on Hogan was great, giving him Ring back. Awesome stuff.

Luke Warm

* Shaemus - Has done a solid job in being a believable champ. This time it's not a fluke.

* Miz - Very consisant on the mic and in the ring.

* Bryan Danielson - Was the hottest thing in wrestling last week, but cooling off after returning to the indys tonight. Already scheduled to wrestle Eddie Kingston, Tim Donst, Shingo, and at PWG, and Evolve in July.

* Jack Swagger - His reign was cut short by Rey Mysterio, which was bullshit, but had a good enough reign to be considered a main eventer still. Hell, anyone that can make a match with Big Show, watchable....gets credit in my book.

* Percy Watson - The NXT season 2 early standout. Nicely named Showtime. I think we will be seeing a lot more from this guy in the future.

NOT

* Hart Foundation 2.0 - They are just floating around week to week. No mic skills, and relying on their hart name. The Uso's are actually making more of an impact.

* John Morrison - Lost in the shuffle.

* Santino - His character is getting old.

* Rob Terry - Why does he have the belt, and why has he held it for like 6 months.

* Douglas Williams - Should be released. Doesn't fit into TNA"s style.

* Matt Morgan - stuck in a lame storyline

* Necro Butcher - Crown Jewel of the Embassy....really??? What were they thinking.

maty619

Reaction score
Agree with all of that, of course only the WWE stuff coz I don't watch or know about any other promotion :p. Good list imo.

-TJ-

Reaction score
HOT

* Jack Swagger - His reign was cut short by Rey Mysterio, which was bullshit, but had a good enough reign to be considered a main eventer still. Hell, anyone that can make a match with Big Show, watchable....gets credit in my book.

Totally agree here. I actually somewhat enjoyed his match with Big Show.

-TJ-

Reaction score
HOT

Totally agree here. I actually somewhat enjoyed his match with Big Show.

Reaction score
Here's basically what i like right now with wrestling (Hot) and the Not or Cold in wrestling, which is what i don't like.
* Davey Richards vs. Kenny Omega Fued. This is the next great indy fued in the likes of Samoa vs. CM PUnk, Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuiness. Check out ROH's Epic Encounter III, Clash of the Contender, and PWG As the Worm turns.

I have to completely disagree with this. Davey Richards, for all the improvements that he has made is still as bland as he was in 2005. And then there's Kenny Omega...as one dimensional as they come. But preferences aside, the one HUGE thing that will keep this from even reaching Colt-Homicide level is the emotion. None of these guys have 1/10th the ability to put the emotion and other intangibles to make this feud more than an Indy fan approved feud. They don't have the mic skills or the "it" factor to make this a blood feud. They can both work a fun match, but they don't have Punk-Joe (sorry, but NOTHING on the indies has been anywhere near this good.)-Danielson-Nigel-Homicide level talent. They don't have the ability to make it feel intense and important like Punk-Joe or Nigel-Dragon and I think it's unfair to compare them. It's just to call it the best feud on the indies, but the indies are a far cry from what they were 7 years ago. All the big time talent is already gone, doing bigger and better things. All that's left is a bunch of undersized guys or guys that pander to the indy marks. The only talent that is left on the indy scene that should be under big time lights are the Briscoes. And maybe Joey Ryan, he has money written all over him.

Again, I have to disagree here. Mysterio deserves to be champ more than anyone on SD sans Show. Swagger was incredibly fortunate enough to be given the chance and he did a good job. But to say he made a Show match watchable is wrong. Show carried him, he called that match and he was all the heat in that match. Show made a great spectacle of the Mayweather affair, he has far more talent than Swagger and pfffttt to the notion that Swagger made that match watchable. I hate and can't understand all the unsubstantiated hate Show receives here. I can't think of anyone his size that has ever worked as well as he has, let alone he is probably the most charismatic guy on SD right now.

Everything else is pretty spot on.

Reaction score

I have to completely disagree with this. Davey Richards, for all the improvements that he has made is still as bland as he was in 2005. And then there's Kenny Omega...as one dimensional as they come. But preferences aside, the one HUGE thing that will keep this from even reaching Colt-Homicide level is the emotion. None of these guys have 1/10th the ability to put the emotion and other intangibles to make this feud more than an Indy fan approved feud. They don't have the mic skills or the "it" factor to make this a blood feud. They can both work a fun match, but they don't have Punk-Joe (sorry, but NOTHING on the indies has been anywhere near this good.)-Danielson-Nigel-Homicide level talent. They don't have the ability to make it feel intense and important like Punk-Joe or Nigel-Dragon and I think it's unfair to compare them. It's just to call it the best feud on the indies, but the indies are a far cry from what they were 7 years ago. All the big time talent is already gone, doing bigger and better things. All that's left is a bunch of undersized guys or guys that pander to the indy marks. The only talent that is left on the indy scene that should be under big time lights are the Briscoes. And maybe Joey Ryan, he has money written all over him.

Again, I have to disagree here. Mysterio deserves to be champ more than anyone on SD sans Show. Swagger was incredibly fortunate enough to be given the chance and he did a good job. But to say he made a Show match watchable is wrong. Show carried him, he called that match and he was all the heat in that match. Show made a great spectacle of the Mayweather affair, he has far more talent than Swagger and pfffttt to the notion that Swagger made that match watchable. I hate and can't understand all the unsubstantiated hate Show receives here. I can't think of anyone his size that has ever worked as well as he has, let alone he is probably the most charismatic guy on SD right now.

Everything else is pretty spot on.

Montana

Reaction score
Good Arguement in the Omega/Richards fued. I guess i said in the "likes" I wouldn't quite put it up there with those fueds yet, however i could see a few more classic matches between these two, and drawing more attention to each other as time goes on. Equal or better to Joe/Punk. Your right, probably not.

As far as Mysterio deserving the belt, i wouldn't agree with that. He's a legend, and a great talent, but he's injuried 4-5 months out of the year normally. I wouldn't want to put the belt on him, when Swagger's reign seemed to be doing fine.

I agree Big Show is very under rated, and the WWE is lucky to have him. Hell, for his size he's easily the one of the greatest, but match for match, he's really not all that exciting or entertaining in the ring. Great on the mic for his size too.

===================================================

ALso too i meant for this thread other people can comment what they think is "Hot and Not"

Montana

Reaction score
Good Arguement in the Omega/Richards fued. I guess i said in the "likes" I wouldn't quite put it up there with those fueds yet, however i could see a few more classic matches between these two, and drawing more attention to each other as time goes on. Equal or better to Joe/Punk. Your right, probably not.

As far as Mysterio deserving the belt, i wouldn't agree with that. He's a legend, and a great talent, but he's injuried 4-5 months out of the year normally. I wouldn't want to put the belt on him, when Swagger's reign seemed to be doing fine.

I agree Big Show is very under rated, and the WWE is lucky to have him. Hell, for his size he's easily the one of the greatest, but match for match, he's really not all that exciting or entertaining in the ring. Great on the mic for his size too.

===================================================

ALso too i meant for this thread other people can comment what they think is "Hot and Not"

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I have a few "hot and nots" as well..

Hot:
Kane- Holy shit, he has been on fire (pun intended) since the whole Undertaker angle started. I always thought he should have been given one good run with the world title in some way, even if it's just a Benoit type run. He isn't as fast or athletic as he once was but the man can still perform well when needed. He has spent the majority of his time with the WWE making other people look good, glad to see that the WWE is giving him another shot at potentially a nice little upper-mid card/borderline main event push. I think next to Show he deserves a run with the strap more than anybody.

Jay Lethal- Much like Montana said, Lethal's promos are pretty damn entertaining and he is pretty good in the ring imo. I think in the next 3-4 years he could be that next AJ Styles type of lighter main eventer that TNA will need being that well, AJ isn't exactly a young buck. I feel that Lethal could slide into that role as AJ starts to head on the last legs of his carrer (in a few years not now!)

Abyss- I have always liked Abyss, he was and still is one of my favorites in TNA. He is a quality big man, which is hard to come across in the buisness. His mic skills aren't the best, but they aren't the worst I have heard from a big man. His skills are above average for someone his size, sure he isn't a Underaker, Kane or Vader, but he is far better then some of the flash in the pan big men that have came and gone through the years. I feel that the current program with Hogan could do wonders for his credibility, which to be fair has been pretty iffy over the last year or 2. But going back to the heel ways of Abyss of old, I could see another world title run in Abyss' future.

Rey Mysterio- He is among the hardest working guys on the roster imo. His title run was more then overdue imo. Sure, I would have much rather seen Swagger get to keep the title for a bit longer, but I am not unhappy with Rey winning. He more then deserves it, his in ring skills are just as good as they have ever been maybe slightly better, he is a serious workhorse for the WWE he deserves it and I honestly think that this run could be 100X better than the 06 run.

Not:
The NXT Angle: At first I was among those really interested in the angle, unlike Montana I am not as into the angle as I'd like to be. Without Danielson and Barrett the angle lacks that star power that a main event angle like this one should have, now it's just the 6 NXT losers against the WWE roster. WTF kind of angle is that? But even before that I was starting to lose interest, it really didn't make much sense. Just a bunch of random beatings for contracts? Why the hell was Wade Barrett even involved? Didn't he win NXT? He shouldn't care what the rest of them were going through lol

Doug Williams- He's good in the ring and on the mic, but doesn't really fit the WWE or TNA style imo. I think he would flourish much more on the indy or international scene.

Kaz- Never could stand him, he just needs to GTFO.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I have a few "hot and nots" as well..

Hot:
Kane- Holy shit, he has been on fire (pun intended) since the whole Undertaker angle started. I always thought he should have been given one good run with the world title in some way, even if it's just a Benoit type run. He isn't as fast or athletic as he once was but the man can still perform well when needed. He has spent the majority of his time with the WWE making other people look good, glad to see that the WWE is giving him another shot at potentially a nice little upper-mid card/borderline main event push. I think next to Show he deserves a run with the strap more than anybody.

Jay Lethal- Much like Montana said, Lethal's promos are pretty damn entertaining and he is pretty good in the ring imo. I think in the next 3-4 years he could be that next AJ Styles type of lighter main eventer that TNA will need being that well, AJ isn't exactly a young buck. I feel that Lethal could slide into that role as AJ starts to head on the last legs of his carrer (in a few years not now!)

Abyss- I have always liked Abyss, he was and still is one of my favorites in TNA. He is a quality big man, which is hard to come across in the buisness. His mic skills aren't the best, but they aren't the worst I have heard from a big man. His skills are above average for someone his size, sure he isn't a Underaker, Kane or Vader, but he is far better then some of the flash in the pan big men that have came and gone through the years. I feel that the current program with Hogan could do wonders for his credibility, which to be fair has been pretty iffy over the last year or 2. But going back to the heel ways of Abyss of old, I could see another world title run in Abyss' future.

Rey Mysterio- He is among the hardest working guys on the roster imo. His title run was more then overdue imo. Sure, I would have much rather seen Swagger get to keep the title for a bit longer, but I am not unhappy with Rey winning. He more then deserves it, his in ring skills are just as good as they have ever been maybe slightly better, he is a serious workhorse for the WWE he deserves it and I honestly think that this run could be 100X better than the 06 run.

Not:
The NXT Angle: At first I was among those really interested in the angle, unlike Montana I am not as into the angle as I'd like to be. Without Danielson and Barrett the angle lacks that star power that a main event angle like this one should have, now it's just the 6 NXT losers against the WWE roster. WTF kind of angle is that? But even before that I was starting to lose interest, it really didn't make much sense. Just a bunch of random beatings for contracts? Why the hell was Wade Barrett even involved? Didn't he win NXT? He shouldn't care what the rest of them were going through lol

Doug Williams- He's good in the ring and on the mic, but doesn't really fit the WWE or TNA style imo. I think he would flourish much more on the indy or international scene.

Kaz- Never could stand him, he just needs to GTFO.

Montana

Reaction score
Well....after the last 2 weeks of Raw with the Vince Mcmahon beatdown, and last Monday with the legends beatdown, I am tired of the group already, and i knew this would happen. That group certainly needs Wade Barrett. On top of that, the whole beatdown of the legends was so predictable. I'd have to agree, the Nexus angle is now cold.

Montana

Reaction score
Well....after the last 2 weeks of Raw with the Vince Mcmahon beatdown, and last Monday with the legends beatdown, I am tired of the group already, and i knew this would happen. That group certainly needs Wade Barrett. On top of that, the whole beatdown of the legends was so predictable. I'd have to agree, the Nexus angle is now cold.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Which is rather sad, because I have to admit that after the inital attack on Cena and the SES It could have been the best (or atleast top 5) things to happen in the wrestling world over the past 3-4 years.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Which is rather sad, because I have to admit that after the inital attack on Cena and the SES It could have been the best (or atleast top 5) things to happen in the wrestling world over the past 3-4 years.

ThophyRof

Reaction score
oh right.I dont talk to too many people about wrestling and i think thats why my friends think its funny......seeing i am a 59 70kg154ps actor, who is into fashion and so forth. wrestling does not really fit who i am. and that is why i like wrestling, its all about the whhhhhoooo hhhhhahhhaaaaa..........