Hip Hop/RAP Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ryan

Reaction score
I really don't think Kanye's always experimenting with his music. His last album was exactly what everyone expected: an incredibly well produced rap album but as far as I'm concerned its sound was very hip hop. I mean, sure we were all still blown away cause it's like "Damn, he did it again, this shit's hot" and the beats and all were just that good but we expected it to be that good. I think he knows that's what people expect of him now so I guess he was trying to break the mold on this one but I just don't think he's going to impact the music industry this time like he did with 808s.

After seeing that video and seeing who Jay-Z is working with on this album - producers: Jahlil Beats, Ye (naturally), Swizz, Timbaland, Pharrell (too nice) and rappers: Drake, Raekwon and Nas (I really hope this is true) - I'm ready to be impressed. I mean, I'm someone who think that Jay is both overrated and overhated. Overrated because everyone rides on literally everything he does and truth be told, he definitely has some whack stuff out there but overhated because at the same time, you hear songs like Dead Presidents and Renegade (even though Em did kill it, Jay was still fire), and even more recently like Jockin Jay-Z and he just flows so nicely and makes it sound so easy. Again, I'm definitely a Jay-Z fan, so I hope this album is good because Blueprint 3 was decent.

I really think that Cole should keep features to a minimum because if you think about it, when you see a rapper who has tons of features on the album like Game did on Jesus Piece it's like, "Wow, can he actually rap, what's with the features?" If the features are gonna be good, though, let them happen. How many rap features did Kendrick have on GKMC? Four? Every one of them was perfect for the song, though. Like people can hate on Drake, but no one is going to tell me that he didn't sound right at home on Poetic Justice, and MC Eiht sounded right at home on that borderline gangsta rap, old school beat on m.A.A.d City. So if you can get features like that, it can only help to make that album better and given the relationship Cole and Kendrick have, how could having him rap have hurt the album? I even wanted to see 50 get in a nice verse. Like I said, I'm all for Cole doing a lot of his shit himself, but I would like to see those key features and some guest producers to help Cole develop his sound.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Didn't mean Experimenting in a bad way just experimenting as in trying new stuff every time. Like Late Registration was different from College Dropout in the sense of using a co producer in Jon Brion and going from the sped up soul sample beats to using samples around their original tempos. Graduation used more co producers and going more outside of the box genre wise for samples. 808's was when he really started going way out there with changing it up with the 808 beats and autotune singing. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy he did the album in a cinematic way to the point where he made a short film for it. So if you look at every album he never just stays content and always tries different things is all I mean. If he didn't he'd still be making sped up soul sample beats that people fell in love with him for.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
[video=youtube;N0eezhF3RIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0eezhF3RIs[/video]

Beat in fucking insane and one of my favorite of the year. Cole was amazing as usual but Drake showing he can get busy when he wants to, he did an amazing job on this.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
[video=youtube;M3fkZeWsyvo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3fkZeWsyvo[/video]

The perfect song for a Polish/Norwegian Family Reunion.

Ryan

Reaction score
Didn't mean Experimenting in a bad way just experimenting as in trying new stuff every time. Like Late Registration was different from College Dropout in the sense of using a co producer in Jon Brion and going from the sped up soul sample beats to using samples around their original tempos. Graduation used more co producers and going more outside of the box genre wise for samples. 808's was when he really started going way out there with changing it up with the 808 beats and autotune singing. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy he did the album in a cinematic way to the point where he made a short film for it. So if you look at every album he never just stays content and always tries different things is all I mean. If he didn't he'd still be making sped up soul sample beats that people fell in love with him for.

I agree with that although he still does occasionally go back to those soul beats that I love so much.

This shit is on fire

https://soundcloud.com/j-cole/j-cole-let-nas-down-remix-feat

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Yeah that Let Nas Down remix is a great moment for hip hop imo.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
So as most would probably know, HOV's "Magna Carta Holy Grail" album leaked earlier. Or was released. Whichever. I listened to the full album but think I may have missed 1 track. Jay kills it. Found it to be really damn enjoyable. Has killer beats. Just flows so damn well.

lol and has like 2 or 3 trends related to the album still trending on twitter worldwide like 7 hours later.

Last edited:

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Maybe, it's just the fact that I live in North Dakota but I didn't hear any singles from Jay-Z or Kanye West with their new respective albums. I mean all I seem to hear is Macklemore and I'll give them credit for already showin' their range but I just don't understand why the two biggest stars in the game wouldn't drop even one single for their new projects unless it's an Ego thing. However then you gotta consider the subject matter which would mean they are just shovin' that they are Illuminati shit in our faces if enough people buy their stuff.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
That's because they didn't put out any singles lol. Closest thing to a single from Holy Grail is open letter which is like a bonus track basically. Jay will probably put out singles after the fact for radio but Kanye seems pretty against that idea.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Atmosphere deserves Mac Miller's spot.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
[video=youtube;Vuv2mvfO_mg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuv2mvfO_mg[/video]

Hopsin released the new Ill Mind. Pretty sweet. He's great lyrically. Always raps with meaning.

Killz

Reaction score
Hopsin kills it with a consistency everyone should be jealous of. Certainly from some of the Raw highlights through to Ill Mind 4,5 and 6. So glad he's got a release dat for Knock Madness too. 5 > 6 in terms of Ill Minds though.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler