Help getting in shape

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

monkeystyle

Reaction score
So yeah, I'm pretty useless when it comes to this stuff.

I've been looking at starting BJJ classes at this local school. It's an Renzo Gracie academy too so it's pretty legit and not too expensive. Also, since I've really gotten into MMA in general I've wanted to learn a bit more and have a better grasp on the sport and this way nobody has to punch me in my beautiful face.

Anyway, I'm horribly out of shape and as much as I'd like to start this ASAP I really don't want to walk into classes like that. I'd much rather maybe work up some cardio and maybe some strength training before I start so I don't die after 20 minutes of hard physical exertion.

I'm mostly looking for stuff I can do from home. Not terribly interested in joining a gym but I'm not opposed to purchasing some minor equipment.

Rell

Reaction score
stuff you can do at home? you should look into the "Supreme 90 Day" dvd's. You could buy it for like 13 bucks on amazon, and they're worth it. My roommate bought them, but the lazy piece of shit never touched them. I decided to try them out and they're great. The workouts are only like 30 minutes each but they're pretty rapid and will have you feeling beat to fuckin death afterward. I started seeing results after about 2 weeks, and I'm currently in the best shape of my life.

Edit: thought I should add that I was about 140lbs looking to bulk up (I'm a naturally skinny dude) before I started with these. If you're a heavier guy looking to slim down, I don't really know if it's what you're looking for.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
That's not bad. I might just try that.

Losing weight isn't the worst idea in the world for me either. I'm walking around at 220-ish these days and my doc says I'm about 20 pounds over-weight but fuck him.

Mostly just looking to improve my over all physical condition so this might be just what I'm looking for.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
Have been doing jiu-jitsu for 6 months, pretty satysfied so far. Beginning is boring, but you get to learn cool stuff after the first belt and at the same time get in a fairly decent shape.
My competitive spirit got awaken and now I'm doing individual exercises to get in an even better shape.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Right.

So, I decided that I was going to start off easy with some light running. I get up this morning, get my shit together. The basics: t-shirt, shorts, mp3 player, water, cigarettes. Do some minor stretching and then hit the old dusty trail.

For about 60 seconds. No shit, literally about 60 seconds.

I started off and for that first 30 seconds I was like, "hey, this isn't so bad" shortly after that I started to feel a tightening in my chest and my heart beating so rapidly that I swore it was going to burst out of my chest. So I force myself to continue and I get maybe a few more steps before I can't go any further and collapse on somebody's lawn around the block from my place absolutely unable to catch my breath.

So while sitting there panting. I fired up a smoke, smoked it, caught my breath, drug my ass up off the ground, went home and congratulated myself on a job well done. There's always tomorrow, right?

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I made it around the block twice today.

However, I'm starting to think that my Chucks aren't the best shoes for running.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Hilarious that you mention you light up a cig and that made you catch your breath. How ironic.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with lazy and has everything to do with being horrendously out of shape.
If I had've been lazy I would've just sat at home and got high instead of going out and attempting to run.

Hmm, I started jogging a month ago (now doing squash instead because jogging was boring), the first time I was dying after 5 minutes, but I convinced myself to keep going for 30, which was my initial goal.
After 10 minutes I was very close to give up, after 15 I was doing good, slow, but good and in the end I did the whole 30. After that, I just went to sleep, and it was 3 pm.
Point is, set a goal you think you can achieve, and then do it. It's all about will, everything else it's just excuses for your lazyness.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Hilarious that you mention you light up a cig and that made you catch your breath. How ironic.

I was laughing at the whole thing too but then it actually made sense to me. When I lit up the smoke I stopped panting like a bastard and started taking slow, deep inhales.

If I didn't think I'd look like such a knob I'd figure out some sort of contraption to attach to my face/mouth area so that I could smoke while running.

I decided that I'm probably not going to ever quit smoking so what I can do is make it work for me. Who says I can't be in good shape while sucking down a fag?

Hmm, I started jogging a month ago (now doing squash instead because jogging was boring), the first time I was dying after 5 minutes, but I convinced myself to keep going for 30, which was my initial goal.
After 10 minutes I was very close to give up, after 15 I was doing good, slow, but good and in the end I did the whole 30. After that, I just went to sleep, and it was 3 pm.
Point is, set a goal you think you can achieve, and then do it. It's all about will, everything else it's just excuses for your lazyness.

Yeah, I think I'm setting the bar too high here. I actually didn't expect to be in that bad of shape. I mean, I've partaken recently in some other physically strenuous activities (or so they say) and don't find myself getting winded at all. This just fucking killed me.

Seriously considering joining this local jogging club and going out with them so I'd have some "support" while doing this. I think though that they'd probably see me as the anti-christ or some shit when they see me fire up a butt after the run, so I'm on the fence.

Anyway, will be out again tomorrow. Going to crank some loud, fast, angry music to run with in the hopes that it gives me more energy as opposed to the slow jams I've been listening to the past couple of days.

Tomorrow's goal: 4 times around the block without stopping.

Also, just a small note to any kiddies reading this. See, you can smoke and get into shape if you want to. Your parents, teachers and friends have lied to you. So go ahead, smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Jesus, who's grateful I don't have children?

...god...

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with lazy and has everything to do with being horrendously out of shape.
If I had've been lazy I would've just sat at home and got high instead of going out and attempting to run.
No, that's pretty much being lazy. I mean if jogging that briskly was too much you shoulda went at a far slower pace as there's no way you are that physically inept or pathetically obese (which you're not). And if for whatever reason you still couldn't, then a brisk walk for 20-30 minutes woulda sufficed just as well to build you up to a better state. THAT would have been the diligent thing to do. Although it's commendable to attempt the run it's only half (if that) the battle. If I feel like making something to eat and get up to make a sandwich, begin to grab the bread, but then say fuck it and go lie back down, still makes me a lazy piece of shit even if I attempted. You're simply unmotivated.