General Tennis Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Another Australian Open title for Novak, his fourth and his third in a row which is a record. He just loves playing here and he defeated Murray in four sets this time. It was incredibly close early with Murray taking the first in a tiebreak and Djokovic taking the second in a tiebreak but after that it was all Novak.

Was very happy earlier in the day when Ebden and Gadjosova winning the mixed doubles titles. Good seeing the Australian's win a title.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Disappointed that I hardly watched any of the Australian Open this year, only saw a few highlights on Sportscenter. If I wasn't incapable of watching sports after they originally aired, then I probably would have seen more, but I gotta' watch them live.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Rafael Nadal is back in action this week for the first time since June last year when he lost to Rosol in the second round of Wimbledon. With the style of tennis that he plays it is no surprise that his body is worse for wear and I hope, but doubt, that he can get back to the level he was at before the knee surgeries.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
So Serena Williams become the oldest female number one player at the age of 31 by making it to the final of the Qatar open. Impressive effort from her especially since she doesn't play anywhere near as frequently as some of the other top players.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
244px-Frenchopen.svg.png

Finally Grand Slam tennis is back and this time it is in France. The red clay is back and so is Nadal. He missed the Australian Open due to injury but since then he has been in phenomenal form on the clay circuit winning tournament after tournament. He owns this tournament with a record of 52-1 including seven titles. Ridiculous record and it just shows how dominant he has been on this surface. It is tough to see who can beat him, Novak is the only one that could go five sets with him on clay other than that I don't know who can beat him here. Murray and Del Potro have both withdrawn from the tournament due to injury, unfortunate that two top ten players are out but it does open up the draw a bit for some surprise quarter finalists. Bernard Tomic will play even with all the drama with his father assualting another player, thankfully his father has been banned from ATP events and so wont be there. Rafter and Woodbridge will apparently be helping him out instead.

On the women's side it is tough to go past Serena Williams who just continues to win on all surfaces. She had a shocker last year being bundled out in the first round but I can't see that happening two years in a row. Will be shocked if she isn't in the semi finals at least. Sharapova is the defending champion and hasn't had a pretty good season so far and she will be the most likely to challenge Williams. I am of course hoping that Stosur has her head screwed on straight and won't choke on the big stage. She has the skills to succeed on this surface yet she has let that chance slip a couple of times in the past.

Tournaments starts in two days.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Hewitt, Hewitt, Hewitt. Wins the first two sets convincingly and then drops the match in five sets to Giles Simon. Wasted opportunity and just not good enough. He was probably the most likely Aussie male to make it to the second round and he threw it away. No big seeds out yet early on the first day.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Don't plan on watching much. I'll catch the highlights, but fully expect Nadal to go all fucking super tennis man on this clay like he always does.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Still amazed that he has only ever lost one match at the French Open. Even when he was a young up and coming player he still dominated here. Nadal is a set down though in his first round match against No.58 Daniel Brands, lost the first 4-6 and it is going to serve in the second. Expect him to come back and win but I didn't think he would drop a set this early in the tournament.

KYRGIOS! So impressed that Nick Kyrgios just pulled off a massive upset over Radek Stepanek. Kyrgios is an 18 year old Australian and he won the 2013 Junior Boys Australian Open. He only made it to the French Open main draw after another wildcard Australian withdrew to injury. I wanted him to win one set but never thought that he would win in straight sets 7-6 7-6 7-6. Showed a lot of mental strength to handle the pressure of three tough tiebreaks. Very happy to finally have an Australian win.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It was her worst performance at the French Open. The rain delay messed with her momentum and she couldn't find that same form when the restarted the match.

Down to one Australian in the draw yet again. Kyrgios lost his second round match to Cilic in straight sets, still a better performance than any expected. Asleigh Barty won her first ever grand slam match as well but also fell in the second set to a top seed. Very talented 17 year old that should be a Top 20 player in the future. Tomic retired hurt in the third set of his first round match, until he breaks away from his dad he will never fulfill his potential.

Nadal dropped another first set last night in his second round match, surprised that it has happened in consecutive matches to relative unknowns.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Well in the end it was a bit predictable with Serena defeating Sharapova in the women's singles final and Nadal won the men's singles for the 8th time. The semi-final match between Nadal and Djokovic was fantastic and match of the tournament for me. Amazing what one little incident, the net touch by Novak at the end, can ruin a player's momentum. He lost his focus by going on about that ruling and he lost the game right after. Was great seeing Ferrer make a grand slam final for the first time at 31 but he just isn't in Nadal's league, and not many are.

I hope that someone comes along at the French that can actually challenge Nadal. Sampras and Federer dominated at Wimbledon for a long time but eventually players came along that could play the surface and beat him. At the French there just don't seem to be that many great clay players around at the moment aside from Nadal.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Yesterday was the weirdest day at Wimbledon ever. Federer loses a couple of days after Nadal is sent packing and then a qualifier dominates Sharapova. Plus 7 players withdrew due to injury due to the condition of the courts. Opens up quite a few sections of the draw for some a surprise semi-finalist in the women's and men's draws. Murray's draw has opened up completely with Nadal and Federer gone, now his main threat will be Djokovic but he wouldn't have to face him until the final if both make it that far.

Just watched Stosur win 6-2 6-2 to make it into the third round. Huge for her at Wimbledon which is by far her worst surface. Tomic playing Blake right now. Tomic is a mental basketcase so you never know who will show up but on top form he should beat Blake. Blake was a good solid player at his peak but injuries these past few years have held him back a lot. Tomic should win but you never know with him.