General Tennis Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Re: US Open Tennis 2012

I have been watching, the time difference is killing me but I have been trying to see as many matches as possible. Tomic was unlucky to run into a retiring Roddick at his home grand slam, Roddick is looking good and will want to finish on a high. Ridiculous comments from McEnroe saying that Tomic tanked in the last set, Tomic has always been inconsistent and has never played in front of 23k people.

Hewitt has managed to fight and get to the third round but he plays Ferrer next and I don't give him much hope in beating him. Stosur has looked confident so far and faces Robson in the fourth round. Robson looked fantastic against Li Na and she is still only eighteen. She keeps getting better each year and could go far in the future.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

Some really good tennis being played at this tournament, plenty of close matches.

Stosur ended up losing to the number one seed Azarenka going down 7-6 in the final set. Roger Federer also lost in the Quarter Finals to Thomas Berdych in four sets. Berdych played some of his best tennis in that match and was definitely the better player on the day.

Women's side is down to Azarenka vs. Sharapova and Williams vs. Errani. I am predicting a Sharapova vs. Williams final.

Men's side is down to Berdych vs. Murray and Ferrer vs. Djokovic. So hard to predict this and I like that it is all quite open.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score

It is very hard to predict on the mens side.

One of the womens encounters is easy to predict imo, as I'd never heard of Errani before and I think playing in the doubles so deep into the tournament for her might take its toll. However I think Azarenka has the slight edge over Sharapova in their semi final, I think she has performed well this year and will sustain her number one ranking.

Murray faces a real tough task against Berdych though, he needs to get his game plan right from the start, and not play silly like he did at the start vs Cillic. I could see him dropping a set, but he needs to make sure it's not the first otherwise it's over. I actually predicted Berdych to beat Fed lol.

As for Djokovic vs Ferrer? Well, I'm a man that loves the upsets, and I do feel that Ferrer on form has the tools to beat Djokovic, but if Nole brings his A-Game I'm afraid Ferrer will have no chance, which is a shame but harsh truth. I have loved how Ferrer has peaked so late on in his career though, it's been a great 2 years for him and at 30 this could be his best and last chance to win a GS.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

Azarenka has had a good year and she did get the better of Sharapova at the Australian Open on hardcourt but I just have a feeling that Sharapova will even the ledger here.

Mens is really tough to predict and I like that uncertainty. I am hoping for a Murray vs. Ferrer final. I like what Murray has managed to do in recent years and I really want him to finally win a Grand Slam. In saying that I am also really impressed by how Ferrer has managed to defy the odds and continue to get better at an age when most are retiring. He has never made a final before so hopefully this will be his first Grand Slam final.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score

Ferrer making the final would be huge, especially considering Spain had a GS finalist in Nadal the past two years. I guess being fellow country mates with Nadal has helped Ferrer a lot. A Murray vs Ferrer final would be awesome, considering both men would be fighting for their first GS, though I'm still worried about Berdych for Murray.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

True Berdych will be a massive test for Murray, especially if Berdych can bring in that same form that helped him take down Federer. But Murray's best, I think, is better than Berdych and whilst Murray has been a little bit inconsistent this tournament I think that he will get the job done. That big win over Federer at the Olympics would have been huge for Murray as it showed that he could beat a big name when the pressure was on.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score

I hope to god this is Murray's time, I really do. If he wins the GS it will be my biggest mark out ever over a sport.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score

I'm not sure Ferrer has gotten better, I just think the field is evening up a bit. And I mean this is a positive way. Ferrer has been a damn good player for years he just hasn't been on that superstar level. Federer and Nadal have kinda started to step down from that ledge and he is taking advantage.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

True that would have played a part in it. I have been impressed by Ferrer's ability to perform on all surfaces as well, pretty sure he has made the Semi Finals of all tournaments. Normally with players that grow up on clay courts they don't transition as well on other surfaces just like players that grow up on hard courts normally struggle on clay.

Prodigy you were right, Azarenka beat Sharapova in three sets. It was looking good early for Sharapova winning the first set and getting a break but she couldn't hold on. Was a tough match to watch though, I hate that the tennis officials haven't banned the squealing. I have no issue with tired players grunting but they do it every single shot right from the get go. I wish that one of their opponents would one day start screaming random words at the top of their lungs during a game to put them off.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score

Ugh has anyone got a stream for todays womens final/mens semi finals?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

Sorry Prod but I don't have a stream, luckily I get it live on television here. The only issue is the time difference.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score

Sky Sports got removed today, I've been following the whole damn tournament and we lost it on the best weekend.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

Well that sucks, terrible timing. The IBM livetracker on the US Open website is decent. It doesn't have a stream on there but at least you get a very detailed live scorecard with all the stats.