General Gaming Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
Need some help here smarkers.... after years and years and years of great service, i have finally decided to retire my PS 2. My sons are 2 and 3 and I'm thinking the XBox 360 w/ kinect might soon be fun for them to play and it might be easier than the playstation move or the wii since you don't need a remote.... Am I completely misinformed on how the kinect works?? What systems do you all prefer and I know not many of you have kids but which would you buy for very young kids if you did have them?? Thanks!

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Need some help here smarkers.... after years and years and years of great service, i have finally decided to retire my PS 2. My sons are 2 and 3 and I'm thinking the XBox 360 w/ kinect might soon be fun for them to play and it might be easier than the playstation move or the wii since you don't need a remote.... Am I completely misinformed on how the kinect works?? What systems do you all prefer and I know not many of you have kids but which would you buy for very young kids if you did have them?? Thanks!

The question should be: Should I go to a park with my kids and play football/soccer/or whatever? Or should I take them to play at the playground?
Not: Should I buy them an X-Box because they are soon 2 and 3. Sorry man, I don't mean to be a dick but for fuck's sake.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
The question should be: Should I go to a park with my kids and play football/soccer/or whatever? Or should I take them to play at the playground?
Not: Should I buy them an X-Box because they are soon 2 and 3. Sorry man, I don't mean to be a dick but for fuck's sake.

HA HA HA no, no, no.... I'm getting the new system for me, but I also know that eventually they will also be playing with the thing and I just wanted to be sure that when that time comes I have something that everyone can use... Plus when it is cold outside or raining this will give them a way to run and jump and play..

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar

If your sons are two and three, they'd probably enjoy a Nintendo System or the PlayStation 3 more than the Xbox 360, the Wii/Wii-U is more family oriented, as most Nintendo consoles have been, they just seem to have games that kids really enjoy, with the colorful characters, etc. I wouldn't go for an Xbox 360 at this point, mine is just sitting collecting dust as I made the huge mistake of purchasing it before realizing that my true passion was PC gaming...and that's what the Xbox 360 is, essentially a beefed up gaming PC. (And most PC versions of Xbox 360 games look way better too.)

Sony has a history of supporting consoles well after the release of their next generation line-up, and this is not the case with Microsoft, even though they say that they will be "supporting" the Xbox 360 till 2015, at the rate the hardware is progressing, I seriously doubt that the venerable Xbox will able to keep up, (i.e I don't think we'll be seeing any hardcore exclusives for the Xbox 360 ala Last of Us, Sly Cooper 4 etc.) and yes, I know that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are not that different when it comes to processing power, it's just that history seems to speak in favor of Sony when it comes to supporting consoles after their life cycle has ended.

Long story short, go for the PS3. Or Wii-U, if you can afford it. The great feature that the Wii U brings to the table is the asymmetrical gameplay, that is, in case you have a 40+ inch LCD plugged into a HD recorder or something, you can watch TV, while family members can continue gaming, on the touchpad like controller, seems like a really handy feature for a family IMHO. However, the one minus point with the Wii U is that I don't know how much that controller costs. Two-three year old kids aren't the most responsible lot, and if something happens to the controller while they're gaming.....it's on you. :side:

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
HA HA HA no, no, no.... I'm getting the new system for me, but I also know that eventually they will also be playing with the thing and I just wanted to be sure that when that time comes I have something that everyone can use... Plus when it is cold outside or raining this will give them a way to run and jump and play..

Approved. :y:

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Tomb Raider reboot gets a rave review from IGN

Tomb Raider Review - IGN

9.1/10. (Amazing)

Looking forward to playing it, I've always loved Lara Croft.

And her legs.

:side:

EDIT: I've decided that I'll be buying a PS3 sometime soon, and I just wanted some advice from members as to whether I should wait till GTA V (September-December 2013) or should I just go for it now? Given that the PS4 is set for release in Q4 2013, I can see the price of the PS3 drastically dropping by Christmas this year.

I just hope that the older slim isn't totally lost by then, I'm not a fan of the new "Super Slim" model, looks pretty bad in comparison to the original slim. Trading in an Xbox for this probably.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Last edited:

Ben

Reaction score
Most likely getting both of the games mentioned above...just swamped at the moment with stuff I want to play. Finishing up Sleeping Dogs but new God Of War drops next Tuesday and that's a must buy day one for me. After that I will try to get Tomb Raider but may wait a bit on MGSR cause I've seen it's extremely short..4 something hours to finish.

On Sleeping Dogs now and really for a GTA clone it's amazing as it does pretty much everything right. Only gripe I have is some of the side quests which are insanely tedious...I've been trying to do some of them between the main missions but there behind boring...specifically talking about the health shrines and cam hacks not fun at all.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Finished Metal Gear Rising about a week ago and I still have mixed feelings. The story, cutscenes and characters are ass but the gameplay is incredibly smooth and intense with wonderful presentation. I never really got into the swing of the game until the second half but the final boss fight is a barrel of stupid fun and the MGS style interface has become way more handy. MGR:R is definately a departure from the MGS games but check it out if you're looking for a challenging, stylish slash'em up.

I'm also maybe halfway through Tomb Raider, it's a game that really goes up and down. The first hour you spend getting passed from QTE to cutscene to QTE to cutscene, then for a couple of hours the game world opens up as the mechanics are introduced and you get a feel for the platforming. After increasing encounters with the enemy, however, the game is more and more devolving into a cover based shooter with dodgy stealthing. Still, I haven't completed the game yet and Tomb Raider does make the effort to change gears every once in a while. The presentation is great, the platforming really seems to have improved and Lara is characterised quite well so far.

So yeah, Metal Gear Rising and Tomb Raider. Neither are probably what the fans were hoping for but I still recommend both of them.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Tomb Raider reboot gets a rave review from IGN

Tomb Raider Review - IGN

9.1/10. (Amazing)

Looking forward to playing it, I've always loved Lara Croft.

And her legs.

:side:

EDIT: I've decided that I'll be buying a PS3 sometime soon, and I just wanted some advice from members as to whether I should wait till GTA V (September-December 2013) or should I just go for it now? Given that the PS4 is set for release in Q4 2013, I can see the price of the PS3 drastically dropping by Christmas this year.

I just hope that the older slim isn't totally lost by then, I'm not a fan of the new "Super Slim" model, looks pretty bad in comparison to the original slim. Trading in an Xbox for this probably.

It all depends on you man. PS3 has a ton of awesome exclusive games. GTA V is going to be well worth the wait though.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I'm finally playing Street Fighter x Tekken and I am enjoying it.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
PlayStation 4, Xbox 720 tech can’t compete with PCs | BGR

I don't see how this is "news" as gaming PCs have always been ahead of consoles technology wise, but Crytek seems to have conveniently forgotten the fact that exclusives such as Uncharted, God of War etc, specifically games that are made for Sony consoles by Sony or developers connected with Sony as exclusives will in all likelihood never make it to a gaming PC.

However, the x86 architecture being utilized in the next generation consoles is the biggest plus point IMO, by a wide fucking mile, now everybody will be developing for the same system in different forms and hopefully PCs will get games like Alan Wake 2 on the same day it launches on consoles. Cannot afford console games. In Asian PAL territories, The PC version of Alan Wake, Max Payne 3 and GTA IV costs Rs. 600 (i.e 5-10$ MRP) While the same console game is 37$. I don't know. Don't ask me. :side:

I hate pirating games, don't like ripping game developers of their money.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
PlayStation Vita's price has been cut by 100$ in the United States, bringing it to a more affordable 199$ for the 3G version. Now all it needs are more exclusive games....

3G PlayStation Vita Prices Are Falling | TIME.com

Sony resisting cut-price PS Vita, US retailers do it instead | News | TechRadar

Apparently it's time and store limited, but I think it's only a matter of time before Sony officially reduces the prices. Besides the games, they need to release a 64GB memory card at least, 32GB is a joke in this day and age.

Ben

Reaction score
Picked up Tomb Raider and I think it's pretty damn amazing. Easily the my favorite game so far this year. Really can't find anything so far I don't like about...should have it finished up by the end of the week and I'll post a full review.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
My first post back. Heh.

I purchased The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct this past week on Xbox for full RRP. Buuuuuut ended up taking it back within the first week for my full money back. I knew the game looked like shit before upon release and there wasn't really much gameplay or info released about it until the last second but I bought it anyway, mainly just because it's The Walking Dead and for the story which I was quite looking forward to as I've always liked Daryl and Merle. Daryl is probably the most popular character on the TV show.
Game ended up being pretty damn poor. It can be quite fun at times especially when you first start off and play it for a bit but then after a while, it just gets really repetitive with the gameplay and how the missions are. As well as the fact it can be quite agitating. The side missions are not anything special either and are pretty much the same thing with not much point to them nor are they fun. Just adding time to the game. They felt kind of mandatory. The level design felt repetitive as well throughout the game, in particular I noticed it with a lot of the rooms you enter across the game. A lot of broken mechanics and the graphics were not the best, although playable. It's 2012, c'mon.. I felt like I just wanted it to be over and done with towards the end so I could get my money back.

The story ended up being not that interesting and you barely saw Merle, there's quite a fair bit of filler and the extra characters/survivors are 'just there' and if you send them on supply runs they don't do jack shit anyway. Maybe 1 or 2 of them actually have some what of a meaningful backstory to them but a lot don't have any really pay off. One thing that really fucking annoyed me with the game is the ridiculous ending. Such bs. Was like "is that it..?" after playing all the way through a crap, agitating game.

Not much you can do after the game except play through the story again with some "relics" applied to the gameplay like more health and other things, or an assault rifle and crossbow from the start. But who wants to play it again..? On second thought, I guess you can take different route's when you choose the next place on the map to change the story around a tiny bit but just going through it all again would be a pain in the ass with no different end mission.

5/10 - Repetitive, unfinished game that is not worth the release price.

Oh and I bought the Telltale Games version of TWD off the Xbox Marketplace just this past week. Came out in Australia not too long ago I believe. Only got episode 1 so far but I loved it, a bit short but definitely worth the price. The characters really draw you in and you feel a connection, it has an excellent story that is very intriguing and it just keeps you wanting more. Going to get Episode 2 tonight.

Brilliant. Definitely recommend.

Last edited: