Fuji reviews House

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
House

Roger Cobb, a Vietnam veteran, has settled into a new career as a horror writer. Unfortunately, his son disappears while visiting his Aunt's home, and Roger's obsession with finding out what happened destroys both his marriage and that career. Shortly after, his Aunt dies suddenly and Roger returns to the house once more. He soon becomes aware that this is no ordinary home and that it resents his presence within.

The above poster and the promotional tagline on the video box, “Ding dong, you’re deadâ€, was enough to scare the living crap out of me as a kid. Amazingly, House, released in 1986, isn’t really that scary at all. Rather, it’s an excellent jaunt into the realm of horror/comedy and while it certainly has its share of facepalm moments it remains a fine example of that particular hybrid. By this point in the decade, horror films were looking for anything fresh that would distance themselves from the myriad of slashers popping up. House decided to go even further away and focus on an entirely different albeit well-known concept; the haunted house. It’s interesting to note that while the haunted house story had been a horror standard for years, not many had been made (successfully anyways) since their heyday in the 50’s. Luckily some talented people assembled for this haunted house tale and at the end of the day they churned out something that holds up remarkably well nearly 30 years after its release. House isn’t flawed, but it knows its limitations and, more importantly, its strengths, and it plays to each of them really well.

"That's going to be one hell of a deep pool."

Directed by Steve Miner, who was coming off Friday the 13th Parts II and III, the film is the brainchild of Fred Dekker. This man is also responsible for two totally awesome 80’s horror films, Night of the Creeps and The Monster Squad as well as one of the best Tales from the Crypt episodes, “And All Through the Houseâ€. Here Dekker just handled the story part, while the screenplay itself was fleshed out by Ethan Wiley. If you’ve seen any of Dekker’s other works, then you’ll be prepared for some of the outlandish yet humourous concepts that he comes up with here. I only wish he’d written the actual screenplay itself, because I do feel that some of Wiley’s dialogue is a little bit bland. It’s not awful mind you, particularly when compared with some of the other crap coming out around this time, it’s just not what Dekker would have come up with. Miner’s direction is pretty standard as well, but then that’s always been his specialty. Nobody requires this guy to do anything other than craft a fairly well-paced film, and once again he proves to be more than capable of doing just that. Aside from some pretty nifty special effects, House isn’t really a film that’s meant to be a technical masterpiece, but it’s sure as hell a tour de force for some of the actors involved.

"It's ugly and it's got a gun....RUN~!"

Those actors are led by William Katt, he of the super perfect 80’s hair and a frequent player in the Perry Mason movies that seemed to be on every Saturday night when I was a kid. Katt isn’t exactly the type of actor that I’d say sets the world on fire, but here he’s not only serviceable but downright sympathetic. I mean, the guy’s kid has gone missing, nobody is helping him and on top of that he’s about to lose the advance he’s gotten to write books. I’m actually amazed that this guy doesn’t kill himself early on, particularly when he meets his nosy next door neighbour, Harold Gorton. This guy is obnoxious, annoying and can’t help inserting himself into Roger’s life. So why is he so likeable as well? Because the man playing him is none other than George Wendt of course, an actor beloved by millions as Norm from Cheers. Wendt is off the hook here, really bringing the laughs and just playing his part perfectly. Another awesome 80’s television actor, Richard Moll (Bull from Night Court) shows up as in Roger’s Vietnam flashbacks and he does some top notch work in the role. Finally the film features not one but TWO hot chicks, Kay Lenz as Roger’s ex-wife and Mary Stavin (starred in both Octopussy and A View to a Kill) as some random hot chick that lives next door. So yeah, awesome hair, Norm from Cheers, Bull from Night Court and TWO hot chicks…how the hell can you go wrong?

"I heart Norm."

The first time I saw House years ago I thought it was a lot more serious than I did this time around. Perhaps that’s because in my old age I’m more aware of the exact type of humour that Dekker is known for and how he constantly went the darker route for his laughs. Regardless, House does seem a little bit serious on the surface, but peeling back its layers shows a film that’s just loaded with hilarity from start to finish. Even something as simple as a door opening at an inopportune time provides a great laugh and in all honesty, I’ve never seen Vietnam handled with such comedic flair. Along with the laughs there are some really nifty non-scares, such as an agonizing scene where Roger repeatedly opens and closes a bathroom mirror while you just wait for something to appear in it. I won’t bother telling you if something ever does, you’ll have to see for yourself since that’s just part of the fun. Suffice to say, when all is said and done, the hero conquers the demons, learns something about himself, saves the day and is re-united with his family. If you thought that was a spoiler, think again, because this is the 1980’s people; happy endings were as common as leg warmers, Swatches and gimp bracelets. Anyhow, as I say, it’s certainly not perfect, but it’s a damn fun haunted house movie and sometimes that’s just the front door you need to walk through to have a great time. 6/10.

"Next time...a better movie featuring crystal skulls."

Jake Awesome

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
excellent review my man…I actually prefer the second one and I will be interested to see if you feel the same way

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I love the house flicks. Good review. I am with Booty and like the second as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Thanks guys, glad you liked the review. I should have the one for the sequel up tomorrow.

Castiel

Reaction score
Thank God you're reviewing the second as well! Great review, maybe it's a common thing but I was in the same boat as you where I saw it when I was younger and was terrified but now I see it has comedic value as well. Also, I had no clue the creator of Night Of The Creeps and Monster Squad was involved with this, very cool! Both of those are just as fun.