Finn Balor will be WWE Universal Champion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
They're not doing it. Nor should they. I would be OK with them hotshotting Nakamura like this once he eventually goes up, though.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I say while this is great exposure for Finn, wait a bit (although if he does win I will mark out hard). Just because he only made his debut on Raw yesterday! I mean, sure, unlike someone else that was pushed too soon, he proved he can be the main guy on a show for a long time, has experiance, and for the most part liked, give him some months to grow and develop his identity.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of him, but not yet.

Ryan Blade

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Website
RDSWrestling.com
Rollins is winning. I'm as much of a Finn Balor fan as anyone else, but the guy isn't at the stage where he can be the top champion on the flagship show. Hardcores know him, but a lot of the audience didn't know of him until last night.

I think he'll be in the same position that Styles is in, they push him as best they can without giving him the championship and that's not a bad position to be in on your first year on the main roster.

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
They may have pushed him beyond the moon on RAW last night but I doubt they go all the way and put the championship on him just yet. If they want him to be the top guy the first step is to re-introduce and further develop the character of Finn Balor. Besides, do really expect WWE to debut a new championship and give it to a relatively new face(not everyone watches NXT)?

SWAGSUKE

The Artiste
Banned
Reaction score
That doubt is what will make it much more special when Finn holds that belt. How long before Gallows and Anderson join him for full on BALOR CLUB?

It's a great time to be a fan.

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
They're not doing it. Nor should they. I would be OK with them hotshotting Nakamura like this once he eventually goes up, though.
I was thinking almost the same thing. WWE wants to take over Japan, and they're positioning the Raw brand to do that. Finn Balor from what I understand is a multi-time NJPW champion, so if WWE puts the Universal Championship on Balor, they get name recognition pretty fast. It's hard to "convince" a new demographic if they're used to the same shit over and over - on that side of the world. So, even though that I think that this would be too fast, I think it's a marketing strategy to put Balor in the champioship picture, and winning it - then putting Nakamura against him? Then you have this cruiserweight division on the way...? You'll have an easy time to attract Japan.

You gotta understand this; Triple H signed a Japanese superstar, did a press conference over there, hell, even John Cena had to spend a season to memorize mandarin language to speak there. All of this takes time, money, and a lot of "sweet talking."

I've never heard of Balor, but he's on fire right now. I've seen a little bit of his work in NXT, but that's about it. I'm liking what I see in Balor. Good to see him moved into the main roster. Hopefully we see more of this awesome stuff.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
I was thinking almost the same thing. WWE wants to take over Japan, and they're positioning the Raw brand to do that. Finn Balor from what I understand is a multi-time NJPW champion, so if WWE puts the Universal Championship on Balor, they get name recognition pretty fast. It's hard to "convince" a new demographic if they're used to the same shit over and over - on that side of the world. So, even though that I think that this would be too fast, I think it's a marketing strategy to put Balor in the champioship picture, and winning it - then putting Nakamura against him? Then you have this cruiserweight division on the way...? You'll have an easy time to attract Japan.

You gotta understand this; Triple H signed a Japanese superstar, did a press conference over there, hell, even John Cena had to spend a season to memorize mandarin language to speak there. All of this takes time, money, and a lot of "sweet talking."

I've never heard of Balor, but he's on fire right now. I've seen a little bit of his work in NXT, but that's about it. I'm liking what I see in Balor. Good to see him moved into the main roster. Hopefully we see more of this awesome stuff.
How big of a star Balor was in Japan is pretty over hyped. Balor was a junior heavyweight. That means shit in the greater New Japan picture. Granted he was the top junior and a focal point of the Bullet Club's first version. But Balor was never THE GUY in Japan.

Nakamura is a completely different animal on the other hand.

Also BTW: Cena did not speak Mandarin in Japan. Mandarin is a dialect in China.

SWAGSUKE

The Artiste
Banned
Reaction score
You can't kill my dreams man! JK

I see a lot of very well thought out and logical posts as to why WWE wouldn't do that. I want to say that I totally get all of that, and I've considered that as well even before going all fangirl up there for this Universal Title shot at Summerslam. It's true, hotshotting like this is dangerous. (Combining the Wu-Tang and the Shaolin? Verrrrry daaangerous) It's high science in pro wrestling, the ethereal push and when it should or shouldn't happen. But dude you guys are also saying things that strengthens my belief in this. Let me rewind the clock on my thinking here to explain why I think it's happening.

I'll say as plainly as possible, Finn Balor IS Triple H's guy. He's his #1 guy. He's been protecting him and grooming him to be The NEXT guy. Finn, AJ, and The Club as a whole are the Kliq of the 21st century. They're going to run WWE. Nakamura is being groomed as the guy to come in and challenge Finn's iron grasp on the strap. Finn's push is going to be so meteoric, it will also in turn raise NXT's stock and the opportunities possible for those kids. All of these NXT call-ups right now are being showcased in one way or another. Finn's star though, it shines so bright.

I saw him and Nakamura in Portland. Well not vs each other, but I saw Finn vs Joe, and Nakamura vs Drifter. Balor is such a megastar. I mean I knew it was gonna be cool to see him and do the arm things and all that during the entrance, but I was mostly there for Nakamura I guess. Even my 6 year old son who had passed out from exhaustion woke up for Finn's entrance. That is nuts. He's got it. I have my Balor Club skully cap at home from the show. The hype is real.

Like 10% of the audience knew his schtick on Raw.... at Summerslam 100% of them will. Those are the smart fans who come in for those big shows. They're ready for Finn Balor, Universal Champion. Who wouldn't be?

And when you guys talk about kicking down doors in Japan? Shit, this is that! Not only that, he and Nakamura and AJ are bridging the gap between Japanese and American fans. The mainstream fans. They've been building toward this for a long time. They've been building inroads in Japan and China heavily the past two years. John Cena LEARNED MANDARIN. He is conversational in Mandarin Chinese right now. I bet Steph and Hunter are learning that Japanese like a mofo right now too. Jericho could be a good ambassador in that regard too.

I see how especially for younger fans who grew up during the awful years of like 2003-2009 WWE that you come by your cynicism honestly. I get that. Also the internet breeds this kind of idea that these things can't happen or they'd be bad ideas. For basically anyone else on the roster I'd say this kind of push is a bad idea. That's why only one guy can/should get it. It's a New Era. Rollins is their because we all know damn well he can win that match. Rollins and Balor will do things in that ring that will blow everyone's mind, they'll put on a fantastic show. Pedigrees and 1916's and somersault planchas and all that. Raw wants to be NEW and MUST SEE TV. The way to do that is to double down on Finn Balor. We've all seen Seth as champ VERY recently. He could win the title back later this year too. He could and should. That said, for my money it's Finn Balor all the way.

If it is Seth, that's fine too because I know he's going to heel it up like a maniac. I'm great with that, but I believe it will be Finn.

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rain

DK JAMES

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
akiratozawa
This is the dumbest thread I've seen this year only because of the stupid use of the spoiler tag.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
You can't kill my dreams man! JK

I see a lot of very well thought out and logical posts as to why WWE wouldn't do that. I want to say that I totally get all of that, and I've considered that as well even before going all fangirl up there for this Universal Title shot at Summerslam. It's true, hotshotting like this is dangerous. (Combining the Wu-Tang and the Shaolin? Verrrrry daaangerous) It's high science in pro wrestling, the ethereal push and when it should or shouldn't happen. But dude you guys are also saying things that strengthens my belief in this. Let me rewind the clock on my thinking here to explain why I think it's happening.

I'll say as plainly as possible, Finn Balor IS Triple H's guy. He's his #1 guy. He's been protecting him and grooming him to be The NEXT guy. Finn, AJ, and The Club as a whole are the Kliq of the 21st century. They're going to run WWE. Nakamura is being groomed as the guy to come in and challenge Finn's iron grasp on the strap. Finn's push is going to be so meteoric, it will also in turn raise NXT's stock and the opportunities possible for those kids. All of these NXT call-ups right now are being showcased in one way or another. Finn's star though, it shines so bright.

I saw him and Nakamura in Portland. Well not vs each other, but I saw Finn vs Joe, and Nakamura vs Drifter. Balor is such a megastar. I mean I knew it was gonna be cool to see him and do the arm things and all that during the entrance, but I was mostly there for Nakamura I guess. Even my 6 year old son who had passed out from exhaustion woke up for Finn's entrance. That is nuts. He's got it. I have my Balor Club skully cap at home from the show. The hype is real.

Like 10% of the audience knew his schtick on Raw.... at Summerslam 100% of them will. Those are the smart fans who come in for those big shows. They're ready for Finn Balor, Universal Champion. Who wouldn't be?

And when you guys talk about kicking down doors in Japan? Shit, this is that! Not only that, he and Nakamura and AJ are bridging the gap between Japanese and American fans. The mainstream fans. They've been building toward this for a long time. They've been building inroads in Japan and China heavily the past two years. John Cena LEARNED MANDARIN. He is conversational in Mandarin Chinese right now. I bet Steph and Hunter are learning that Japanese like a mofo right now too. Jericho could be a good ambassador in that regard too.

I see how especially for younger fans who grew up during the awful years of like 2003-2009 WWE that you come by your cynicism honestly. I get that. Also the internet breeds this kind of idea that these things can't happen or they'd be bad ideas. For basically anyone else on the roster I'd say this kind of push is a bad idea. That's why only one guy can/should get it. It's a New Era. Rollins is their because we all know damn well he can win that match. Rollins and Balor will do things in that ring that will blow everyone's mind, they'll put on a fantastic show. Pedigrees and 1916's and somersault planchas and all that. Raw wants to be NEW and MUST SEE TV. The way to do that is to double down on Finn Balor. We've all seen Seth as champ VERY recently. He could win the title back later this year too. He could and should. That said, for my money it's Finn Balor all the way.

If it is Seth, that's fine too because I know he's going to heel it up like a maniac. I'm great with that, but I believe it will be Finn.
Hunter does not decide who is the franchise tho. That's a Vince decision. And Vince is not as high on Balor as Hunter is. Also to note is that Rollins is the superior Triple H project compared to Balor. both in standing with the company and in both Hunter and Vince's eyes.

Also. The Club being the new kliq? Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson having backstage pull? LOL

I Prince Devitt wins the belt on his first try I will be very very surprised. Especially as a untried commodity on the main roster. And if fans embrace that idea they are fucking hypocrites since it apparently was too fast a push for Roman to win the belt after three years on the main roster. But some random Irish guy coming in and winning it after a month on the roster is okay?

Reactions: SWAGSUKE

SWAGSUKE

The Artiste
Banned
Reaction score
I didn't mean to insinuate that Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson have some insane backstage pull. It's Finn who will gain that pull. He doesn't have it now, but he's certainly on the platform to gain that kind of stroke over time. Hypocrites? Dude don't be so dramatic. It's just pro wrestling.

• Haha

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
The amount of asslicking for people like Balor and Nakamura is laughable. Sure they are top talent but some of their fans need to take their head out their idols butt.

Reaction score
I like Finn Balor but one of my main problems with WWE nowadays is that whenever someone who is big on the indies is signed and they debut WWE acts like they're already worthy of a WWE title shot. When CM Punk joined WWE did he get a shot at the WWE Championship, no because that would just ruin his Legacy like in his documentary it wouldn't be about how he fought his way to the top it would be, "In my 3rd match I won the WWE Championship, yeah so I did that". Also what if Daniel Bryan won the World Heavyweight Championship in his first match we might not have had the Yes Movement and Daniel Bryan might not be as popular as he is today. What I'm saying is that WWE needs to calm down on giving out all these huge WWE Title shots to people that have just debuted because it may ruin their Legacy.

• Haha