Figure Four Leg Lock

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Stopspot said:
So are you saying that Miz shouldn't use it at all or that he should have waited with adding it to his arsenal until he had trained more in how to use it?

I have a hard time seeing Vince just taking the move from Flair considering the amount of respect Vince has for Flair and the friendship between Flair and HHH. Flair has had to have had a say in who gets the figure four and he seems to see something in the Miz. And I think Flair's opinion on the figure four carries a lot of weight.

The entire subject area of iconic moves is fishy. Since Flair made the figure four his I don't think there have been any other wrestlers who have used it in the last ten or fifteen years (in the wwe) and thus I find it unlikely that they are taught it in developmental. Thus I can have some understanding of Miz botching it in a high tempo situation (which that part of the match was, it was pretty high tempo). Practice makes perfect and that is something I will hold on to. I also say that he should make the move his and not have it look exactly like Flair's, because if he just does it exactly like Flair then he will never "do it right".

Nope, i'm only saying that I don't like people using iconic moves as finishers. I don't really mind it as long as it's noted that no one can do it like the original. Crayo used the argument that they can't market to one specific age group forever, which is true. It's really a preference for me to not see it. I'd like to be okay with it but he would need to do it flawlessly, which last night he didn't. On smackdown it looked okay though. Like I said, it's just a preference. I'm okay with DZ's superkick, because it rarely gets a W. I choose to believe it doesn't, because no one executed it like HBK.

CrayJ Lee

Champion
Reaction score
Website
bewitchingbennett.tumblr.com
I don't mind him using it. If the legend himself gave him permission then I don't see the problem with it. The Miz seemed very grateful and honored to be given permission to use it too which makes it great IMO. I've only been watching wrestling since this past summer so I might feel differently if I had grown up watching Ric Flair.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
:eww: Looks worse in a loop. If he wanted to use it why the fuck wouldn't he PRACTICE it before trying it on LIVE TV? So much for him being the hardest working guy in the locker room. If a legend like Flair gave me a move that is synonymous with him, I'd practice the fuck out of it before trying it on TV.

Rysenberg

Legend
Reaction score
Stopspot said:
He cocks up once and people say he shouldn't use it? Wow people are fickle. That entire set up for it from last night was sloppy and bad. Both men are to blame for it.
But saying he shouldn't use a move he's probably only used a total of 3 times because of a botch is like saying Punk shouldn't use the GTS due to botching it from time to time, or Cena shouldn't use the STF if he botches it. People are quick to judge. His delivery of it on Smackdown was good so I'll chalk it up to situation. Give it time and actually let the dude get used to the hold.

Yeah but the figure four is hardly a tough move to deliver, and it was in no way Dolph's fault. I've delivered the move to friends when I was in primary school with absolutely no difficulty so I find it rather pathetic that a professional wrestler can't lock it in.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Meh, I don't mind him botching it at all. Just doesn't feel right to watch the Miz doing the Figure 4, I said it before and I still stand by it. He may change my mind in the future, but so far I don't like that he's using it.

Jose Tortilla

Champion
Reaction score
This is how you give your own turn on a move you take from a legend..

Bobby Ray

Jobber
Reaction score
Stopspot said:
He cocks up once and people say he shouldn't use it? Wow people are fickle. That entire set up for it from last night was sloppy and bad. Both men are to blame for it.
But saying he shouldn't use a move he's probably only used a total of 3 times because of a botch is like saying Punk shouldn't use the GTS due to botching it from time to time, or Cena shouldn't use the STF if he botches it. People are quick to judge. His delivery of it on Smackdown was good so I'll chalk it up to situation. Give it time and actually let the dude get used to the hold.

Whilst your argument that one-off mistakes shouldn't be the be-all-end-all when it comes to important decisions is correct, Miz shouldn't be anywhere near this move.

Reaction score
Something else to note with Miz is that he is left-handed. I'm not sure if Flair was left handed or not but it looks like Miz started to apply it left handedly but then tried to do it as a right hander which you can't do. The way Dolph sold it though, if everyone sold it that way Miz could keep doing it that way. The move still looked more painful that the majority of Cena's STF's.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
TheoneandonlyDC said:
The move still looked more painful that the majority of Cena's STF's.

That's not much of an accomplishment tbh.