Fantasy match-up

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Airfixx

Reaction score
...OK, WM is still a way off but we are soon to embark on the annual Road To Wrestlemania, so before any storylines start to reveal themselves....

a) Who from the current roster would you like to see face off most at the forthcoming WM?
b) What kind of match would you give them?
c) Who's going over?

noumenon

Reaction score
The Miz vs. Triple H.
First let me answer why. Miz's build as of right now has been near perfect. It isn't over the top fast as was Sheamus' and Swagger's... thus not giving it the chance for instant flop as the two mentioned. The culmination of his build and title win at Mania really needs a veteran and big name to make it seem truly relevant. The only people left at this point are HHH, Taker and Edge. I'm going to scratch Edge off the list as he really doesn't hold the same distinction as the other two. Taker's steak is never going to end, so that's out. A win over HHH at Mania for a title would be all Miz needs.

Match would just be a simple one on one title match.

Miz is going over.

Airfixx

Reaction score
^^^

"b) What kind of match would you give them?"
"c) Who's going over?"

Thanks for answering in full. :roll:

CMS

Reaction score
HHH vs Taker.

Most people want to see Cena vs Taker, and while that might be big, I don't see the hype being that epic. Cena's mania hypes thrive on making him look like the underdog while his opponent gets the best of him. See HBK outsmarting him for WM23 or Batista fucking him up for WM26. Taker's mania build ups are based on the streak challenger getting the best out of him so that people will think the streak is in jeopardy. See why these two won't match. We would be stuck with a build up of Cena saying how much he respects Taker and how win or lose he will give it his best at Wrestlemania, while Taker saying how much he admires Cena but he will be no different from the other souls in his collection, gosh, I got bored just writing this.

Unless they turn Cena heel before the match, but hey, pardon me if I have my doubts of that happening.

I'd go with these two. HHH and Taker. HHH's mic work is enough to give this feud a big time feel. He can be the badass foil to Taker. And the storyline is already set with HHH "doing it for Shawn Michaels".

Taker goes over, and we get ready for what would now be inevitable, Taker vs Cena with Taker possibly going 20-0, making him tap out to the STFU that much sweeter.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
cm punk vs brian danielson

I like this idea.

What I would do with these two is pretty simple. With Punk likely out until like January or so let Bryan string together a few nice US title defenses against people like Morrison and DH Smith. Then upon Punk's return have him cut on promo on how Bryan may be a good US champion but he is not 'better than him' and the usual Punk stuff.... Punk's epic mic work and Bryan's overness as a underdog type of face could really help the feud right itself. I feel that all they would need is like 10-12 minutes to have a good, if not great match. I would like to see Punk going over perhaps in a heelish way (ie, using the ropes, illegal chair shot etc.) to not only get the title off Bryan but could give him some much needed momentum going foward

bigdog4215

Reaction score
The last thing Punk needs is another mid-card title.
I see where you are coming from but it could be like miz's us title where he just carries it like a lunchbox and defends it occaisonally against other mid carders.This could be a good way to show that danielson is main event material and I would like this feud bound by nothing but pure hatred so we can the agressive sides from both of them and watch these two steal the show everytime they are on the card.

noumenon

Reaction score
Yeah, that's perfect... let's treat another title like a "lunchbox". How about putting some emphasis and importance on these titles that are basically moot instead of treating them like accessories. No doubt putting it on someone like Punk would put a little focus on it, but how many times have we applied the logic of putting a fading title on a big name only for it to drop back down into obscurity or but buried beneath the name itself.

bigdog4215

Reaction score
Punk definitley needs to be back in the main event picture but as for the us title,I have no clue what should be done with it.Thats the title shemus should have got instead of wwe championship but it is good to have it on bryan to help give the title some instance and help bryan become a main eventer in wwe.I just want to see them two goto war.

Airfixx

Reaction score
HHH vs Taker.

Most people want to see Cena vs Taker, and while that might be big, I don't see the hype being that epic. Cena's mania hypes thrive on making him look like the underdog while his opponent gets the best of him. See HBK outsmarting him for WM23 or Batista fucking him up for WM26. Taker's mania build ups are based on the streak challenger getting the best out of him so that people will think the streak is in jeopardy. See why these two won't match. We would be stuck with a build up of Cena saying how much he respects Taker and how win or lose he will give it his best at Wrestlemania, while Taker saying how much he admires Cena but he will be no different from the other souls in his collection, gosh, I got bored just writing this.

Unless they turn Cena heel before the match, but hey, pardon me if I have my doubts of that happening.

I'd go with these two. HHH and Taker. HHH's mic work is enough to give this feud a big time feel. He can be the badass foil to Taker. And the storyline is already set with HHH "doing it for Shawn Michaels".

Taker goes over, and we get ready for what would now be inevitable, Taker vs Cena with Taker possibly going 20-0, making him tap out to the STFU that much sweeter.

What would be so much better storylinewise if Cena faced him at WM28 rather than WM27?

Granted, the key to the success of Taker/Cena maybe in the writing of the storyline, but there's nothing that compells them to use the same format for each guy every year. There's nothing actually stopping them changing things up for WM27 (especially given 'where' Johnny C is right now).

Punk definitley needs to be back in the main event picture but as for the us title,I have no clue what should be done with it.Thats the title shemus should have got instead of wwe championship but it is good to have it on bryan to help give the title some instance and help bryan become a main eventer in wwe.I just want to see them two goto war.

^^^Don't worry, ya not the only one anticipating them having some killer matches.

...But as for what to do with the US title see below. I mean, there's plenty of guys that he can face off against to keep him fresh and I'm sure he can carry even the lesser talents to good if not excellent matches.

Yeah, that's perfect... let's treat another title like a "lunchbox". How about putting some emphasis and importance on these titles that are basically moot instead of treating them like accessories. No doubt putting it on someone like Punk would put a little focus on it, but how many times have we applied the logic of putting a fading title on a big name only for it to drop back down into obscurity or but buried beneath the name itself.

Agreed, I mean, Bryan has only just started breath a bit of life into that belt - Now is not the time to give it to a former world champ.

Personally, given Bryan's matches are what's predominantly getting him over, as long as he keeps on delivery MOTN candidates, then I think they should have him have a record breaking length title reign (becoming to the US title what Honky became for the IC - There's batantly mileage in that shit, especially during his eventual heel runs.)... I really do not wanna see him rushed into the ME anytime soon. It's important that the crowd completely buy into his skills and the kayfaybe of how good he is otherwise putting him up against someone like Cena/HHH/Taker would be an absolute joke.

...god...

Reaction score
Good god, Punk should be nowhere fucking near the US title, that's like Jeff Hardy returning and competing for the IC title.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Fuck it, these are "fantasy" match ups... As in not necessarily needing to be at all realistic correct?

Well in that case I'd have to say a Edge/CM Punk match for Mania could be pretty awesome. Edge is extremely stale from my view point... His current program with Kane isn't anything special and everything he has done since coming back in January has been for the most part kinda meh and just forgetable.

But I think a refreshing match/feud with Punk could be something to help ressurect Edge's pretty stagnent carrer at this moment. The feud itself could write itself, with Punk's "Better Than You" gimmick and Edge's "Rated R" character. Start/tease the feud with a controntation at the Royal Rumble and buld from there.

I think that Punk could use the rub in this one more than Edge, I feel that Edge could take the loss and still stay around the top of the card on Smackdown whereas Punk on RAW would likely fall further than he already has

Reaction score
Good god, Punk should be nowhere fucking near the US title, that's like Jeff Hardy returning and competing for the IC title.

Benoit, Guerrero and Triple H have all held midcard titles after World title reigns, the only difference between them and Punk is that their World title runs were far more successful.

And lmao @ comparing Punk's status to Hardy's status. Punk's got the net, but where it matters to the E, Hardy smashes.

...god...

Reaction score
Firstly, Guerrero never held a midcard title after he won the WWE championship. Triple H only held it during the time he was in the most powerful fucking stable, he held it for the sake of them having all the titles and playing second fiddle only to the greatest star in wrestling. And the fact that you even brought up Benoit, one of the most tragic and awkward careers is enough proof that Punk should never win that title. Benoit went from world champ to competing in midcard for the rest of his career (of course he helped a lot of upcomers, but Punk is too young and too valuable to make the crowd believe he is now in US title competition, it's wasteful, he's been treading long enough but the WWE has at least kept him in upper profile feuds with the likes of Rey and Show, so that was good. Look at it this way, Punk is equal to Sheamus, would you want to see Sheamus competing against Danielson for the US title? NO. That'd be fucking Blue).

I compared the two because they both helped each other propel themselves into the main event and Hardy was the most consistently over guy during that time period, just like Punk was one of the, if not the most over heel (can't remember). That title means shit, the equal cross brand belt is held by Dolph Ziggler. It's so painfully obvious that Vince and the creative hardly care about it, and that most/all of the time when you are an established star and actually propelled that far down you never come back, like Benoit.

Oh btw, Benoit's world title run was nowhere NEAR as sucessful as Punk's. What exactly did his reign do? It did nothing to get Triple H more over as a heel, he was later on just fed back to him and then Randy Orton, who it did nothing to get over as well since his face turn failed. Punk's allowed him to transition to the epic heel, that YOU and I both see today, as well as made Hardy the most over fucking face in the company by giving him his big win to run with and the perfect antagonist.