Do you plan on having kids?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
That's 1 good scenario, most are not like that. I don't think it can ever be preferable to have 1 parent over 2. I'm not doubting that 1 parent can do a good job, but 2 can do better (assuming happy marriage and all that jazz).

Sigh, this is what I was trying to avoid. I don't really enjoy debates anymore because they seem to do more harm than good. That's one scenario, yes. However what good would it do to discuss the meta data from thousands of case studies because it won't result in either of us changing our minds. I'm not going to see it differently and neither are you so it's probably best to just avoid it.

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
Sigh, this is what I was trying to avoid. That's one scenario, yes. However what good would it do to discuss the meta data from thousands of case studies because it won't result in either of us changing our minds. I'm not going to see it differently and neither are you so it's probably best to just avoid it.

I like talking about these things and getting other peoples POV.

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
And I am open to changing my mind if someone can disprove the studies I have read.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I like talking about these things and getting other peoples POV.

And I am open to changing my mind if someone can disprove the studies I have read.

Well I'm sure you understand most people aren't as open minded as that and it sort of wears me down after a while.

But this is a psychology issue and you don't really prove or disprove things in psychology, unfortunately. Even if I came up with tons of meta data that show the success of single parent child raising, there are going to be meta data studies that show the opposite. It's one of the reasons I question why the hell I ever went into this profession as there is little conclusive evidence one way or the other.

If I can find some meta data on single parent case studies I'll find a way to post it whether it supports your viewpoint or mine. I'm self admittedly not someone who thinks they would be a bad parent so I could easily admit if I was wrong. My areas of expertise are suicide and cognitive psychology, not child psychology. But if I can find anything in the journals that represents a meta data of a lot of studies, I'll be happy to post it.

Reactions: Nikki Nitro

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I should have gone into astronomy. At least then if I stared at nothing for hours it still would have had only one conclusion :)

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
My Mother raised me as a single parent most of my life. My dad had to keep paying child support til I was either 16 or 18.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Psychology itself admits it is not concrete. While it is a study and part of a science field, the human mind is too far complex to be understood by human nature.

Just my opinion of it that.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Psychology itself admits it is not concrete. While it is a study and part of a science field, the human mind is too far complex to be understood by human nature.

Just my opinion of it that.

Oh yeah, they tell you that in Psychology 101 too... you think I would have listened... 10 years of schooI... could have been a stripper...

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Oh yeah, they tell you that in Psychology 101 too... you think I would have listened... 10 years of schooI... could have been a stripper...

I could bet there is a class for that somewhere in some college. lol

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
Well I'm sure you understand most people aren't as open minded as that and it sort of wears me down after a while.

But this is a psychology issue and you don't really prove or disprove things in psychology, unfortunately. Even if I came up with tons of meta data that show the success of single parent child raising, there are going to be meta data studies that show the opposite. It's one of the reasons I question why the hell I ever went into this profession as there is little conclusive evidence one way or the other.

If I can find some meta data on single parent case studies I'll find a way to post it whether it supports your viewpoint or mine. I'm self admittedly not someone who thinks they would be a bad parent so I could easily admit if I was wrong. My areas of expertise are suicide and cognitive psychology, not child psychology. But if I can find anything in the journals that represents a meta data of a lot of studies, I'll be happy to post it.

Sure, no problem. I shall also post some important quotes from studies. From Pew Research Center

"Other statistics from the Witherspoon Institute, a conservative think tank in Princeton, New Jersey, demonstrate that 66 percent of children from single-parent households live below the poverty level and nearly 50 percent of adults who receive welfare began the program after becoming a single parent. Only about 10 percent of children raised in a two-parent family live below the poverty level."

"Studies conducted by Dr. Paul Amato, Professor of Family Sociology and Demography at Pennsylvania State University show that children who grow up with both biological parents in the same household are less likely to experience a variety of cognitive, emotional and social problems. Dual-parent households often maintain higher standards of living, therefore providing more effective parenting skills with less stressful life circumstances. Examining potential advantages of a single-parent household is also beneficial. Leaving a relationship that exposes your child to marital conflict is a positive change because your child will no longer be entangled in parental discord at home"

"Exposure to single parenthood as a child also raises the probability of next generation single parenthood by approximately 120 percent. McLanahan's research testifies that daughters of single parents are 30 to 53 percent more likely to marry as teenagers, 75 to 111 percent more likely to give birth while teenagers and are more likely to experience marital severance and have babies out of wedlock."

And it closes with this

"Any parenting model, whether it's single parent, biological dual parent, stepparent or cross-generational has the capacity to incorporate positive parenting methods such as understanding developmental needs, talking and listening, modeling respect, encouragement and participation."

Absolutely.
I'd love to know what factors can skew information like this.