DH Smith says WWE didn't give him a fair chance

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Live Audio Wrestling recently welcomed former WWE talent Harry Smith (a/k/a David Hart Smith) to discuss a variety of topics. The full interview can be heard accessed here. Highlights from the interview are as follows:

How long he's been training MMA and who he is working with: "I’ve had a lot of interest in mixed martial arts actually since before I got signed with WWE. I was training a little bit in jiu jistu, I was an amateur wrestler a little bit before. I ended up getting into contact with Josh Barnett, ‘cause we were both wrestling in New Japan Pro Wrestling at the same time, just different tours. The first time I met Josh, I went down to an independent show for Pinnacle Wrestling in Seattle, Washington, and I saw Josh there. He looked at me, and we talked a bit, and he goes “So, when are you gonna get into fighting?†I kinda chuckled, I didn’t really think much of it at the time, but I did have some interest in it. He invited me to come down and train with him at the next show up in Seattle, so I did grapple with Josh, and I was just amazed. My eyes were sort of totally opened up to this whole other level of grappling that was like catch wrestling. Crossfaces, leg locks, slams, suplexes, different unique throws. From that point on, I had started watching a lot of Erik Paulson DVDs, and some other catch wrestling stuff, and trained in jiu jitsu as well. I came back and trained with Josh a year later or so, and Billy Robinson happened to come up to California for a seminar. I got to meet him, we trained a little bit. At that time, I had been signed with WWE, so I was still training at it a lot, and the more and more I trained at it, the more and more interested I got with it. I think it’s sort of in my blood, with my grandfather being Stu (Hart) and his legendary reputation of catch wrestling.

"It’s not like as if I just left WWE and it’s like, “Okay, now I wanna become a mixed martial artist to make money. I really do love mixed martial arts, and I think me training with Billy, and training at it while I was employed with WWE goes to show that I was always sort of interested in it. Since I left WWE, I’ve been training at it full time, trying to get the striking down, putting everything together, finding a good fighting weight for myself. We’ve toyed around with a few things, maybe even 205, not exactly sure, that might be too light. We’re sort of experimenting a bit with weight, and just putting it all together. Not exactly sure when there will be a fight. More training with Josh, and cage time, and we’ll see."

Teddy Hart and some of his plans to train animals for future shows: "I just heard from hearsay about some of the ideas, like I think cats are supposed to bring weapons to the ring and stuff like that. I mean, if he can train the cats to wrestle...actually, he should train the cats how to shoot and grapple and stuff. Put some gi’s on the cats and let them grapple. He might just be saying some of that stuff to generate interest with the audience and stuff like that, to see if he would really do that. He hasn’t actually explained any of that sort of stuff to me. Some of his ideas are very good, with MatRats, they had the pizza pie plate at the top of the ring post, which I guess is about six to eight inches higher than the top turnbuckle and further out, so two people can both stand on the top and do a suplex off there, or a hurricanrana. It was kind of a nice spectacle for the fans. So, you know, some of the ideas are good. The cat stuff might be a little bit out there, but hey man if he can train those cats to do it, all the power to him. I wanna see it, too."

WWE not giving him a fair chance: "The big complaint that I had with WWE was just that they never gave me a fair chance, ever. We had a good deal with the tag team title run and everything, but guys like Drew McIntyre and Sheamus, they’re obviously very good talents and big guys and everything, but if they had given me the rocket like they had given those two guys, I’m sure that with my family’s lineage and going over to Canada and the UK, they could have done some really good business. For whatever reason, they didn’t. I’m not gonna point any fingers at anybody, but I think that there’s people up there that probably didn’t like my family, or maybe my Dad ribbed too many of the guys that are up top now. That’s basically the way that it happened, and I’m glad to be gone really. I don’t want to be wasting my time at a place that doesn’t appreciate me, or doesn’t want to do anything with me. There were other interests that I had, and so when John (Laurinaitis) called and gave me the release, I was relieved. We had a good talk, and he said that the doors are open to come back."
Even though it's what helped him get in the door I don't like that he basically said he should have gotten a better shot because of his family heritage. I don't see him as somebody who didn't get a fair shot outside of maybe after Hart Dynasty ended.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I can sort of understand where he's coming from really. The guy has the perfect WWE look, can go in the ring and like mentioned has the lineage that they can tap into and yet they did absolutely nothing with him after THD split.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I disagree. He got there because of his family name and got a push because of it, not because of his own hard work.

He got called up to the main roster and his first few weeks they were putting his dark matches on wwe.com before he debuted on TV. He still wasn't over. He got suspended because he fucked up and failed wellness. He got brought back up to ECW and joined Kidd/Natalya. They accomplished nothing and got no fan support, until Bret came and got them over slightly and got them a push.

He didn't get over as a single or tag act. He couldn't connect with the fans. He couldn't cut a promo. Even his wrestling on Superstars, a wrestling based show and a tag partner turning on him got him no reaction.

The highlight of his wwe related career was his mommy, defending him from Cole, who tore him and poor commentary skills and lack of a personality, to shreds on air, when they were side by side in the booth.

Give someone else the spot and a chance, who can actually do something with it, and don't need Uncle Bret to go out of his way and get you a push and reaction. There are much better talents out there, 2nd/3rd generation and 1st generation, who can make something out of themselves with the screen time he had and money he got paid.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
I'm going to compare Kidd & DH here.

Yes Kidd was adopted and is part of the Hart Family and is the last person trained in the Stu Hart Dungeon.

However, DH Smith didn't work as hard to get pushed while Kidd is out there being jobbed and not bitching about it one bit. Yes he should be pushed more but he realizes the fact it doesn't matter where you're from you've just got to go out there and give it your best.

DH Smith didn't give it his best, he was more focused in MMA and WWE then released him. He continues to be a whiny bitch saying he deserved better because of his family? That's bullshit.

To get far in a company, you've gotta shut the hell up and do your best. He was tag champions for a while, what more do you want in a short career?

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I could put up with the bitching if his dad, with all respect to him, actually really fucking mattered in the grand scheme of the business. Bulldog was good, but they said it on LOW, he could work a match, but he couldn't get over, cut a promo, or be a top guy because he just didn't get it. A basic good hand remembered for being in Bret's stable and being an in law of Owen, nothing more.

It wasn't like he was Bret's actual son. Heck it wasn't like he is the son of Dusty, Ted, or any of those guys who were larger than life characters and beloved household names and global draws, not just in Britain and Canada. The Smith name means jack shit in comparison to Rhodes, DiBiase, Steamboat, Mavia, Guerrero and so on, which is why they added Hart to his ring name in an attempt to get him over and fan respect

Last edited:

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I think that WWE actually did give him a fair chance he just didn't grasp the chances that he was given. He couldn't get over as a singles wrestler even though WWE pushed him fairly strongly and he cost himself when he was suspended for a Wellness Policy violation. Then as a tag team it was Kidd that stood out more and they really only got over with the help of Bret and even then they were more successful as the heel tag team. In the end he just didn't care enough and in the interview you can see that he was happy to move on and that his heart wasn't in it anymore. Kidd is still working hard at trying to make it but he wanted to go elsewhere. I am sure that when his MMA career doesn't work out he will come back to WWE.

rhetts jetski

Reaction score
If he was truly talented, he'd rise above circumstance regardless. He had enough exposure to show something special and never did.

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
They didn't give him a chance.....and that's to their credit. Frankly, I don't ever want to see anybody pushed who has a family link with the Hart family. These people have bored me for longer than my memory extends, the entire family is like one giant black hole of boredom. Not one drop of charisma in any of them.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Still don't get why you don't think Owen had no charisma when he did. Might not been tons of it or anything but he had enough to make for a great heel.

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
I've never seen it, that's why. Owen was as dull and boring as Bret and the rest of them, he just had more...I guess energy, and people mistook that for having charisma.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I think Owen was a good heel but he didn't have the Charisma to be a face, Being a good heel was more in presentation and understanding Psychology than Charisma so I kind of agree with that,

Reaction score
I've got to say this really made me laugh when he said he wasn't given a fair chance! Does he not see how boring he is? He never really showed any enthusiasm. He was slightly better as a heel, but still nothing great. If he stayed he would've stayed on Superstars probably and he's only ever gonna be a good tag team wrestler. He said about he could've been a Sheamus type! Haha I love wrestlers who think they are something special. Good luck to his MMA stuff though.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Better as a heel? That's an insult not a compliment. I could play a generic heel to the same extent as most wrestlers that make bland faces.

So yeah awesome.i.am he didn't deserve anything. He proved that right now he can't live up to his name. He's still young enough though that this could just end up helping him.