Cornette targets HHH

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
Jim Cornette has a feature on his official website, www.JimCornette.com, where fans can ask him his take on any subject. He admits to being “politically incorrect.†Anyway, when asked who he feels is the most overrated wrestler of the past and today, he feels overrated is not the correct term, instead opting for “overpushed.†Cornette said, “Who has been pushed on a major league basis way more than their talent or attitude should have dictated?†For the past, he names Ultimate Warrior and Sable, proceeding to go on a rant on both of them. For the present, he says Triple H. Cornette wrote: “For the present, let’s go with Hunter Hearst Helmsley-McMahon. Actually, he’s a very good worker and studies the business. His promos are usually as exciting as a coma and last longer than this recession, but he has good matches. Problem is, as hard as he’s been crammed down people’s throats for the past 10 years, he should have surpassed Hogan, Austin, and Rock, but HHH is what is called in the business “the guy that works with the guy that draws money.†He should be in there to have a good match and put the star over. Actually, he should have been fired in 1996 when he s**t on the entire sport with the infamous “curtain call†at MSG, but Vince, the guy with “balls of steelâ€, let HHH piss in his face and not only didn’t do anything about it, but let him marry his daughter! And a sledgehammer? Jesus Christ, I wish he’d hit me in the head with it before he starts talking on TV. HHH will be the top guy in the WWE until he looks like Dick the Bruiser in his final days working an Indiana county fair show, and if THAT’S not overrated, I don’t know what is.â€

-WZROnline.com

Woo Cornette for hitting the nail on the head. And might I add, when Trippy finally does go away, history will never remember him as Stone Cold. He will never be The Rock. No, when all is said and done, he'll be remembered as the guy who only got to where he was because he married into management.

MikeRaw

he'll be remembered as the guy who only got to where he was because he married into management.
Doubt it, consiering he had 7 world titles before being married to Steph, and 6 before even dating her. Not to mention, despite what you think of Triple H, when he's heel, he still gets the most hea, and when he's face, his pops are massive. If he was overrated, and "crammed down out throats" the fans woudln't go nuts every time they see him.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
Hey, I'm not discounting his abilities, nor the luck of his early career. But considering where he is now, and facts like he had the worst title reign in recent memory on Smackdown and yet is still allowed to be at the top of the heap rather than buried or Future Endeavored like anybody else would have been, history will not be kind to him. He may be over due to there being nobody else pushed nearly as hard, but when he does finally leave, he won't be held to such a high regard as Austin or Rock. He'll just be another run of the mill main eventer, forgotten soon after his last feud dies down, only kept in his place for so many years because of his wife.

MikeRaw

Hey, I'm not discounting his abilities, nor the luck of his early career. But considering where he is now, and facts like he had the worst title reign in recent memory on Smackdown and yet is still allowed to be at the top of the heap rather than buried or Future Endeavored like anybody else would have been, history will not be kind to him. He may be over due to there being nobody else pushed nearly as hard, but when he does finally leave, he won't be held to such a high regard as Austin or Rock. He'll just be another run of the mill main eventer, forgotten soon after his last feud dies down, only kept in his place for so many years because of his wife.

Firstly, if you honestly think that his marrige had anything to do with it, you're stupid. If he already had 7 world titles before marrying Steph, he obviously would've gotten at least 7 more while being married. If he had 7 before, even if he hadn't married Steph, he still would've ended up with over 12 World Titles, due to the fact that he was already a big star. In fact, I'd say he would've had more if he didn't marry Stephanie, because now that he married her, they have to be careful not to give him too many, and make it look like he's favourited. If he didn't marry her, he'd probably have closer to 20 by now.

Secondly, your excuse for him beign over is shit. Face it, the fans like him. It's not because he's been pushed hard... Look what happened to Cena. If the fans don't like you, it doesn't matter how hard you are pushed, they'll boo you. The fans obviously love Triple H. Besides, it's not even like he dominates everything. In fact, he went like 2 years without a title, after losing it in April 2005. He lost it to Batista, and then didn't get it again until October 2007, which was 2 and a half years later. If he was being favourited by Vince and Co, he would've won more titles during that time, including when he returned.

Reaction score
What exactly is the 1996 "Curtain Call" Cornette is referring to? I absolutely don't remember what he means.

Kaedon

Reaction score
I do agree that the sledgehammer shots he does are used VERY liberally. I also agree that he is more Arn Anderson than Ric Flair. The rest of it though, I have to disagree.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
Firstly, if you honestly think that his marrige had anything to do with it, you're stupid. If he already had 7 world titles before marrying Steph, he obviously would've gotten at least 7 more while being married. If he had 7 before, even if he hadn't married Steph, he still would've ended up with over 12 World Titles, due to the fact that he was already a big star. In fact, I'd say he would've had more if he didn't marry Stephanie, because now that he married her, they have to be careful not to give him too many, and make it look like he's favourited. If he didn't marry her, he'd probably have closer to 20 by now.

Secondly, your excuse for him beign over is shit. Face it, the fans like him. It's not because he's been pushed hard... Look what happened to Cena. If the fans don't like you, it doesn't matter how hard you are pushed, they'll boo you. The fans obviously love Triple H. Besides, it's not even like he dominates everything. In fact, he went like 2 years without a title, after losing it in April 2005. He lost it to Batista, and then didn't get it again until October 2007, which was 2 and a half years later. If he was being favourited by Vince and Co, he would've won more titles during that time, including when he returned.
Well if you want to play with dates, Trippy was out of action from July through October 2005, and January through August 2007. And for almost all of October through to January, he may not have had the TITLE (which you yourself have said is just a meaningless prop), he still owned the show with Michaels as D-X. The simple fact that you don't have the title doesn't mean you can't dominate the show. Like you yourself said, the title means nothing. And you know, it's pretty damn easy to get over when you trash talk a thoroughly hated heel - case and point, Trippy feuding with Mr. McMahon. People booed Cena because it was a year of crappy, halfassed feuds that all followed the same format: Heel beats Cena up a lot, Cena gives a lengthy inspirational speech a week before the pay per view about following your dreams and having the heart of a lion and looking both ways before you cross the street and all that other bullshit, Cena wins at the PPV due to his muscle that can't be measured, end feud. If he was placed in a lengthy, thought out feud with a despised heel, he would not be booed.

Triple H is at the top right now and has been, constantly, for almost a decade. But it's not the kind of "at the top" you get when you're someone like Austin or The Rock. It's the kind of fleeting, forgettable, downright meaningless "at the top" you get by feuding with someone awesome. Remember his recent Smackdown reign? Worthless. Lackluster promos, lackluster matches, dead crowd. Like Cornette said, Trippy is the guy that works with the guy that draws money. And when he's not in the ring with a draw, he replaces the nightly Diva match as a good time for the audience to take a piss break.

When all is said and done, all we'll be left with are memories of carbon copy promos, a stale and predictable match routine, and a laughable finisher, all wrapped up in a shiny gold ring. He will never be held in the same regard as Austin and The Rock, and you really need to stop being a mark and realize that.

MikeRaw

Well if you want to play with dates, Trippy was out of action from July through October 2005, and January through August 2007. And for almost all of October through to January, he may not have had the TITLE (which you yourself have said is just a meaningless prop), he still owned the show with Michaels as D-X. The simple fact that you don't have the title doesn't mean you can't dominate the show. Like you yourself said, the title means nothing. And you know, it's pretty damn easy to get over when you trash talk a thoroughly hated heel - case and point, Trippy feuding with Mr. McMahon. People booed Cena because it was a year of crappy, halfassed feuds that all followed the same format: Heel beats Cena up a lot, Cena gives a lengthy inspirational speech a week before the pay per view about following your dreams and having the heart of a lion and looking both ways before you cross the street and all that other bullshit, Cena wins at the PPV due to his muscle that can't be measured, end feud. If he was placed in a lengthy, thought out feud with a despised heel, he would not be booed.

Triple H is at the top right now and has been, constantly, for almost a decade. But it's not the kind of "at the top" you get when you're someone like Austin or The Rock. It's the kind of fleeting, forgettable, downright meaningless "at the top" you get by feuding with someone awesome. Remember his recent Smackdown reign? Worthless. Lackluster promos, lackluster matches, dead crowd. Like Cornette said, Trippy is the guy that works with the guy that draws money. And when he's not in the ring with a draw, he replaces the nightly Diva match as a good time for the audience to take a piss break.

When all is said and done, all we'll be left with are memories of carbon copy promos, a stale and predictable match routine, and a laughable finisher, all wrapped up in a shiny gold ring. He will never be held in the same regard as Austin and The Rock, and you really need to stop being a mark and realize that.

As big of a Triple H fan as I am, I'm not gonna disagree that his recent two years have sucked. I haven't enjoyed him much at all since he returned in 2007. Even during 2006 I wasn't as pleased. But other than that, I disagree. Show me a guy who is capable of taking his spot on the card. If there's someone who should be in his place, they should have it... But there isn't. That's more WWE's fault than Triple H. He's one of the top guys, and a guy they can make good storylines with. If they haven't made other guys to take his place, that's not his fault.

Reaction score
Yes but what Curtain Call incident is Cornette talking about? Somebody enlighten me?

MikeRaw

Yes, and most people know wrestling is fake, too. But you're still not supposed to show it during the show.

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
Thanks...but I dunno that doesn't seem so bad. I think most people know those guys are friends.

At that time, the fans really weren't as aware as they are today. They saw two heels and two faces hugging and nothing like that had ever happened before in front of fnas. Now it wouldn't be so bad, but then it was a big deal.

The Rated R CMStar

While I agree that HHH isn't on the same level as Austin and Rock, the rest you're saying is pure crap. You're putting it as if the moment HHH retires, nobody will give a damn about him. Sure, he won't be remembered in the same regard as the past, but then again, who is going to be?

That's basically it. Cornette is totally wrong as for HHH's promos. Besides, I really want to know when, taking away the 2002-2004ish time span, has Triple H been the top pushed star in the company. Yes, he has been billed The King of Kings, but that refers more to his quantity of championship reigns, but I'm sorry, HHH has never been put as the face of the company.

chessarmy

Jim Cornette is awesome, I don't agree with him on EVERYTHING (I like Triple H's promos) but he definitely has a point about Trips getting shoved down everyone's throats the past few years.

and when he's face, his pops are massive. If he was overrated, and "crammed down out throats" the fans woudln't go nuts every time they see him.

Really? Weren't they chanting "retire" on his last PPV appearance?