CM Punk Signs with UFC

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
She'd make him tap in the first round. @Z.T.O just cause he's trained in martial arts doesn't mean anything. Most UFC fighters have been training and fighting for years before they make it into the UFC. You think an old man (relative to the fighting game) can just waltz in and be successful. He's no Brock Lesnar who is a legitimate wrestling champion and a freak of nature physically. So fanboy or not, you've got to realize how ridiculous this looks/sounds.

Have to agree about the martial arts comment. I am only a couple years older than punk, I went to state in high school amateur wrestling, and was roughed up pretty bad. So afterwards rather than wrestling in college, I took up shotokan karate instead. I've had extensive training and I have been practicing karate with some real fights for over 15 years. My wrist has been broken over four times and my right knee twice and I have had a broken rib before. I have a pretty good tolerance for pain. That all being said, I wouldn't last 30 seconds in the UFC or any MMA in my weight class solely due to my martial arts training. Martial arts is a nice talent to have and it has by far helped me defend myself when the situations presented themselves, but it hardly guarantees anyone a chance of winning. MMA is not like fighting in a karate tournament.

Now, I actually love CM Punk, but I think he's in way over his head here. But I also understand the desire to do something before you are too old and will only regret it. I don't see him being at all successful in this venture.

Reactions: Senhor Perfect

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
He's starting a bit late, but whatever, kudos for at least trying it out before he's too old to do it at all. He'll most likely be dismantled, of course, but that depends on his quality of opponents. He's still likely end up drawing some good money for UFC, though, even if he only lasts a few fights. At least part of Brock Lesnar's drawing power was in the fact that he had the negative stigma of being a former pro wrestler attached to him, and a lot of people were just hoping to see him get his ass kicked in the Octagon to prove he "couldn't hang with the real fighters" (and yes, this is in spite of his legitimate college background.) The same will hold true of Punk, probably even more so considering he's a polarizing figure whom even many WWE fans would love to see fail (such as a few people in this thread.)

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Punk isn't going to draw shit compared to Brock. I guarantee that.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Didn't saw he would, just that his fights would draw a good bit of interest.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Didn't saw he would, just that his fights would draw a good bit of interest.
Generate buzz (for the WRONG reasons) probably but PPV buys? I say probably not. With Brock there was an element of can this dude fight?? With Punk it is just how bad will this guy get his ass whooped.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Generate buzz (for the WRONG reasons) probably but PPV buys? I say probably not. With Brock there was an element of can this dude fight?? With Punk it is just how bad will this guy get his ass whooped.

For a lot of people that know about Punk's injuries and more about the wrestling and MMA professions like the people who post here, I'd have to agree with you. I'd also venture that any interest in Punk fighting in UFC will hardly go past the curiousity stage (unless by some miracle he does very well, which I doubt). However, to say it won't generate PPV buys, at least in the debut match, is sort of naive. Regardless of the reason to see it (to see if he can do it or if he will get his ass kicked) the constant "CM Punk" chats that have interrupted and persisted almost every RAW and PPV throughout the year indicates that at least some people will buy the PPV to see him involved in a fight.

Now I agree with you that I honestly don't think he's cut out for it and he will likely get his ass kicked. But his presence, in at least the first match, will generate PPV buys. I can't see how there's any valid doubt about that. Now, the PPV following it, assuming he fights again, will likely be back to normal.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
CM Punk Chooses Training Camp For MMA Career

According to internet MMA personality and host of the FRB ShowFront Row Brian, CM Punk has selected Roufusport as the training facility and team for his MMA career.
Front Row Brian, who has broken numerous stories in the past, said that Punk will begin training on January 5th. Roufusport is based in Milwaukee, a 90-minute trek from Punk's home in Chicago.

Roufusport is home to UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis, as well as other notable fighters Ben Askren, Sergio Pettis, and Erik Koch. The camp is renowned for it's innovative striking, but with the aforementioned Askren also has Olympic-level wrestling coaches.

Roufusport was in the news recently after former team members Rose Namajunas, Pat Barry and former coach Eric Shafer accused the team of utilizing overtraining and bullying tactics. Head coach Duke Roufus was singled out as verbally abusing his lesser-known fighters. The camp addressed those claims by saying their training methods have been improved in previous years.

Source: http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/1225/587976/cm-punk-chooses-training-camp/