CM Punk - 365 Days and Counting

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I want to defend Punk by pointing out how when he was actually over as the champ for a while he was still stuck behind Cena and generally just booked wrong, or how he's also been booked like a complete weasel since turning heel... But the fact is that Punk's reign has been largely underwhelming and I have no more desire for him to stay the champ. The highlight his run for me was the Jericho fued and a couple of matches with Daniel Bryan, but little else really stands out.

Last edited:

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I would rather see lengthy title reigns instead of transitional champions any day of the week.

If the Rock wins the title, how will that make everyone on the roster look? A (basically) retired wrestler turned actor can spend nearly a decade away from the ring and defeat the most dominant champion in recent memory. Sounds like a great way to kill any momentum that has been generated since "the new direction" started.

If Punk retains the title, and Rock is later revealed as an entrant into the Rumble(at #30) and barely manages to eliminate Cena(for example) to win the Rumble, you manage to have your rematch between Cena & Rock at Elimination Chamber, and Rock & Punk at Wrestlemania. Rock still gets 3 PPV slots culminating at Mania, which will hype the PPV sales, we dont have a transitional actor champion, and Punk looks stronger for being able to defeat The Rock at not only the Rumble, but at Mania too.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I don't think Punk would look weak if he lost against Rock at Royal Rumble, just as long as he won the rematch at WrestleMania.

I like the idea of Punk losing at Royal Rumble, only to later go into the Rumble match and win it. Then at WrestleMania he can win the title back off Rock. That way, the WWE get a good bit of publicity by having one of their biggest superstars ever win the WWE title, get strong PPV buys for 3 straight months, and have Punk look like a star by avenging his loss and pinning The Rock on the biggest show of the year.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I would rather see lengthy title reigns instead of transitional champions any day of the week.

If the Rock wins the title, how will that make everyone on the roster look? A (basically) retired wrestler turned actor can spend nearly a decade away from the ring and defeat the most dominant champion in recent memory. Sounds like a great way to kill any momentum that has been generated since "the new direction" started.

If Punk retains the title, and Rock is later revealed as an entrant into the Rumble(at #30) and barely manages to eliminate Cena(for example) to win the Rumble, you manage to have your rematch between Cena & Rock at Elimination Chamber, and Rock & Punk at Wrestlemania. Rock still gets 3 PPV slots culminating at Mania, which will hype the PPV sales, we dont have a transitional actor champion, and Punk looks stronger for being able to defeat The Rock at not only the Rumble, but at Mania too.

But this isn't just some random midcarder coming back, this is one of the biggest stars of all time, top three in WWE. There is no shame in Punk losing to The Rock even if The Rock is a part time wrestler these days and I don't think that it makes the rest of the roster look weak. Cena lost to Rock this year at WM and I don't think that it hurt Cena at all. Punk losing to Rock won't hurt him especially if he gets a win in a rematch at WM.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Rock being the champion? Doubt it, does he have 3 months to burn?

the champ can't be a no-show and try and sell PPVs at the same time. That just doesn't make sense, facing Rock and beating him would solidify this guy as much as you possibly can.

This is how I hope it turns out.

I am a bit concerned that if Rock does win the title then it might be just so that WWE can set up Rock/Cena 2 with the title on the line.

I think Punk must be over can't see WWE keeping the title on someone that long espically in the current era if they were not over. This count down has been a great selling point for him.

Quite like this idea of him losing and then returning to win the rumble, would be something different.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I get that nostalgia plays a factor in wanting to see Rock with the belt again, if we would have seen him in the ring a few more times this year, and it didnt look like he is just doing a stint because movie roles are drying up for him, then I would be all for it, but as soon as G.I. Joe gets its release Rock is just going to disappear(and probably before we get an interaction between him & Slaughter). Has he even been on the show since he announced his match?

This New Direction has been focusing on elevating younger talent so WWE does not have to rely on Attitude Era stars to carry shows. Rock needs to job here(much like Jericho did for both Punk & Ziggler) and give the next generation a solid push in the right direction(kinda like how The Montreal Screwjob ushered in Attitude, or the Camera Fireball ushered in The New Generation), the seeds of an "era" have been planted, and just need that match that gets it off the ground.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
But this is a very rare opportunity for WWE and I can see them capitalising on it and in the process it will make Punk a bigger name. Punk going toe to toe with Rock throughout the feud will be a big deal for him, they just can't present him as inferior. The Rock is helping WWE out by actually wrestling a few matches even though he was the third highest paid actor in Hollywood last year and has signed on for a lot of big films in the next year.

I agree that WWE shouldn't rely on Attitude stars to carry shows but when you have the chance to use them make the most of it and get as much publicity as you can and make as much money as you can out of them. WWE do need to ensure that they have stars that can carry the brand for the majority of the year but even losing to someone like Rock can get someone more over. I still don't see how Punk losing the title to The Rock will hurt him that much. It will show that the only way Punk lost the title was to one of the all time greats that is still in incredible shape and can still go in the ring. It isn't like he will be losing it to a 75 year old Hogan.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
The damage comes from cutting a lengthy title run short just to get some minor publicity. If Rock were to lose the match, and later enter into the rumble, you still get all that publicity without any of the damages.

If Rock loses, and later wins the Rumble it also allows for options. If they want Rock/Cena for the belt Cena wins at EC, if they want Rock/Cena for the #1 Contendership at EC, if they want a star-studded EC(Punk, Lesnar, Cena, Rock, Triple H, & Taker? would atleast all fit in with storylines).

I just have a hard time making any sense out of giving a retired wrestler(regardless of what his name is) the belt.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
But at least that title reign was ended by one of the biggest names of all time rather than just some midcarder. Plus if Punk dropped it and then entered the Rumble himself and won the Rumble it will make him look even stronger. Normally I wouldn't agree to a part time champion but this is one of very, very few times that it makes sense for that to happen.

His title reign has to end eventually and he has to drop it to someone. Dropping it to The Rock isn't a bad way to end the reign at all in my view. Think of how he could talk it up that he beat everyone on the roster and the only guy that could beat him for the title was one of the top stars WWE has ever had.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I would rather someone like Ryback, Ziggler, or even the Miz(and I cant stand the Miz) getting that historic win. Rock gets nothing from beating Punk, any of those 3 would be put over for years to come, ie Bob Backlund.

At this point in the reign, I am somewhat thinking about "What If?!, the Undertakers streak was ended?", surely this reign is not nearly as important as that, but the payoff would have to be just as impactful. Having a returning star do it wouldnt fit this direction(I still refuse to say a time of transition to be an era), but someone who is on the cusp of becomming a star could really benefit.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Punk losing the belt to The Rock is perfect. The Rock is a bigger star and bigger draw than anyone in the WWE fulltime and he's one of the biggest stars ever. Punk is kind of protected by that, sure people will bitch because Rock doesnt wrestle fulltime but Punk can brag that no one on the current roster can beat him, one of the greatest of all time had to come back and beat him. And the alternatives to Rock are green rookies like Ryback, SuperCena getting his one millionth title reign, the next wasted potential, joke champion Dolph Ziggler, the worst world champ in a decade Sheamus or some other nobody. Rocks the best guy to end Punks reign for viewings sake and Punks sake.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
The damage comes from cutting a lengthy title run short just to get some minor publicity. If Rock were to lose the match, and later enter into the rumble, you still get all that publicity without any of the damages.

If Rock loses, and later wins the Rumble it also allows for options. If they want Rock/Cena for the belt Cena wins at EC, if they want Rock/Cena for the #1 Contendership at EC, if they want a star-studded EC(Punk, Lesnar, Cena, Rock, Triple H, & Taker? would atleast all fit in with storylines).

I just have a hard time making any sense out of giving a retired wrestler(regardless of what his name is) the belt.
Cutting it short? If him losing the belt at the Rumble is cutting it short then i'd love to hear how long he should hold it. Punk is seriously stale as fuck and is doing absolutely nothing for the title and hasn't done for the vast majority of his overrated reign. Mick Foley fucking nailed it dead on when he cut that promo about him being a statistic etc because that's all his reign has been now for the longest time, accumulate more days. He is so stale right now it's not funny, every week it's the same damn thing and that's mention the word respect and say how long he's been champion for. He needs to lose the belt and stay away from it for a while and do something to freshen himself up because he's easily one of the most stale guys on the roster.

I honestly don't see anyone who Punk can drop the title to and people will be happy about it. Rock, part time wrestler. Cena, main event hog doesn't need the title. Ryback, too early to win the title. Sheamus/Del Rio/Orton similar reasons. I honestly think people would only be happy if he lost the title to some no mark like Dean Ambrose or in a 60 minute iron match against Bryan.

I'm not entirely sure what dates Rock has got booked but I know he's got a majority locked in already, but they can easily have him win the title and the Rumble and then the RAW side of the Elimination Chamber can be for the #1 contender if he isn't available for the show, not that I think he should wrestle on there even if he is available.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I don't want to see the title on the Rock but they could make it work as long as he could work every Raw between the Rumble and the Chamber, which I assume is 4 shows. They could have him lose it at the chamber and cash it the rematch for Mania so he'd only have to be there once or twice in between. If they want it to happen they can make it work.

Reaction score
Punk could keep the strap for another year, I'd be cool with that.

As it stands though I am so rooting for The Rock.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I don't want to see the title on the Rock but they could make it work as long as he could work every Raw between the Rumble and the Chamber, which I assume is 4 shows. They could have him lose it at the chamber and cash it the rematch for Mania so he'd only have to be there once or twice in between. If they want it to happen they can make it work.

But then there would be no point in him winning it at the rumble and you would be hot shoting the title.