Chael Sonnen-Forrest Griffin Booked For UFC 155

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Chael Sonnen has made up his mind. After weeks of speculation about whether he'd move up to 205 or continue on at middleweight, Sonnen announced on UFC Tonight on Fuel that he would be meeting former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin at 205 on the last UFC card of the year. Here's the tweet:

#BREAKING: @sonnench says he will fight @ForrestGriffin at light heavyweight on December 29th @ #UFC155

Sonnen (27-12-1) is coming off a loss to Anderson Silva in their UFC middleweight title rematch on July 7th. After controlling the first round with his wrestling, he missed with a spinning backfist and was subsequently TKO'd. Chael used to fight at 205, but has competed as a middleweight for the last few years.

Griffin (19-7) competed on the same card, taking a close decision over Tito Ortiz in the the latter's retirement fight. He went loopy after the fight, taking off from the octagon and then coming back to conduct an awkward post-fight interview with Ortiz. UFC president Dana White has been vocal about wanting Griffin to retire, but clearly that's not the case.

The UFC hasn't made any definitive statement on the bout as of yet, but if Chael is telling the truth (and I suspect he is), the bout might serve as the co-main event of the night. It is expected that Junior dos Santos will defend his UFC heavyweight title against former champ Cain Velasquez in the main event.

I honestly don't know how i feel about this fight.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Decent fight. Not the best we could have hoped for, but really, it's a nice fight to break him in at 205 before the inevitable title shot.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
I'm just surprised that the UFC is using Forrest especially after Dana has been saying he needs to retire and what not, but i am happy Chael is moving up to 205.

Should be an easy W for him.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
If he ain't gonna retire, UFC may as well make a return on the ridiculous money they pay him. With that in mind, he's going to be fighting the big names until the day Dana persuades him to hang it up.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I am... not sure at all. I'm confused. Why Forrest? I mean it'll be good for Chael in his move up but Forrest? Its just... an awkward looking fight.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Also i had no idea but this is actually the second meeting between the two, they fought back in 2003 (before either were in the UFC) Forrest won that fight. Maybe this is why Chael was tweeting last week that his next fight would be a grudge fight.

Here's the video if you'd like to see.

[video=youtube;XXP3z8PQByI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXP3z8PQByI[/video]

Last edited:

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Here's what Chael said while announcing the fight on UFC Tonight.

"A number of years ago, I fought with a guy who turned out to become a very good friend of mine, and I lost the match," Sonnen said. "Since becoming friends and competitors with him, I've also become a fan. I watched him win the world championship. I watched him etch his name in stone as a guaranteed future Hall of Famer. … He's the one guy Jon Jones hasn't fought. He's beat two world champions in his last three outings.

"I get very frustrated that Forrest's name is left out of the conversation. This is a guy who's beat everybody, and he's never been in the talks to fight Jon Jones. He's coming off a fight with Tito Ortiz, one of the most decorated light heavyweights of all time – a Hall of Famer. They go out and have a 'Fight of the Night,' an awesome performance, and still, he gets overlooked."

Sonnen implied that his sights are set squarely on Jones' title – but that he wanted to earn the opportunity.

"I could go up to 205 and I could take Jon Jones' belt the same as I could take his candy on Halloween – a little punk kid, I'd snatch it away all I want," Sonnen said. "But there's something to be said in sportsmanship for earning your shot. And on the 29th of December, I'm going to go through Forrest to do it.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
It won't be the main event so I don't mind. Both guys have no business main eventing so this will be a nice co main event if anything. JDS vs Cain is such a great main event that I really won't be mad at the rest of the card. This should be interesting, don't care for either guy but still both very talented.

Dademo

Reaction score
I can't say that I'm really excited for this fight, but more excited for Chael going up to 205, and either fighting Hendo or Jon Jones later in 2013.

HB_Punk

Reaction score
Chael takes this fight in a one sided decision and takes LHW gold by the end of 2013.

BELIEVE!

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
If they want to dress it up like Forrest is a threat to anyone thats fine by me, but I don't believe it.

This is purely feeding a bum to their main draw to preserve the money fight between him and Bones. I bet Chael won't even have to fight anyone hard before getting a title shot either.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Forrest is the jobber of 205, Chael is playing Anderson Silva and will try bear paw Forrest onto the canvas.

Chael should get Machida.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Chael's at it again, this time with Jones.

[video=youtube;cRV1WqMo-p0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRV1WqMo-p0&feature=g-all-u[/video]

And here's some stuff from twitter between the two.

So Jon Jones responded on twitter after Chael pretty much called him out on this video

JON JONES: “@sonnench the things you say about me hold absolutely no weight, you disrespected Anderson and his country but fought like a child.”
“If you’re going to disrespect me out of nowhere, at least disrespect me to my face like a man.”
“and you call me a punk, I’m more man than you’ll ever be. #Coward #Cheater”
Chael then responded with

CHAEL SONNEN: @JonnyBones Oh I plan too. Btw, how long did it take your parents to come up with your name, JON JONES.. #creative

Advice to @jonnybones. Take some of that Nike money, hire new writers. (?)

Jon responded again with:lol dude, you’re not worth my time.. Earn a title shot instead of trying to talk your way into one and I’ll be glad to hurt you

CHAEL SONNEN: Boarding plane to Oregon now, home of your corporate wage masters. Next time you are in town, knock on my door. Don’t drive. @johnnybones

JON JONES: lol you’re an idiot if you think I haven’t heard every dui joke in the book. I applaud original ones, that’s powerless
*about 2 hours later

For everyone who thinks I’m “falling into chaels game” I know exactly what I’m doing.. #AreYouNotEntertained
“@whitlc26: I wish I had a UFC belt so I could hear what @sonnench would say about me. @JonnyBones n company shud relax. #funnystuff”

Last edited: