Cena & Sheamus Injured - Who Will Step Up?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Sheamus is out with a shoulder injury and won't be returning until early next year. John Cena is out with a torn triceps and won't be returning until early next year. That is two of WWE's top faces out for four to six months which leaves a big hole at the top of the card. Add to that Randy Orton who has just turned heel and the question is who will take the next step and fill the gap that these three have left.

It is a great opportunity for a lot of guys on the card to try to stake their claim as a top guy and the rest of the year should be interesting to see who will take the next step.

Daniel Bryan is obviously one guy that will fill the gap, he is hugely over right now and involved in the central feud on RAW. He can now try to establish himself as a permanent fixture at the top of the card. CM Punk will be right up there like normal as well but he still seems preoccupied with Heyman's guys. Established names like RVD and Christian will most likely be right in the mix as well but hopefully some other newer names take this opportunity. Ziggler is one that has been around that level for quite some time but has never really been able to break through, could this be his chance? Does Kofi Kingston take this opportunity and get himself into the title scene?

Who do you think will fill the spots left by Sheamus, Cena and Orton? Will it be the same old faces that we have seen for years or someone new step up?

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Re: *Spoilers* Who will step up?

Rhodes & Ziggler.

Bryan is already there along with Punk.

With Cena gone, I don't think it will do too much harm. CM Punk just showed up and showed why he's one of the best performers along with Daniel Bryan.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2

Horrible timing for a guy like Punk; although he's in one of the best programs he has been in a long time, which will probably take him through to Survivor Series with a couple of matches with Axel and one more with Brock. But Punk will still have some time after he faces Brock again to get one or two months of top-tier exposure alongside Daniel Bryan which should result in Punk winning the Rumble to face Bryan at Mania with the Corporation trying to take the both of them out.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi

Don't think anyone new is going to be pushed up really, I expect to see a combination of Bryan/Henry/Show/Ziggler taking on Orton/Rollins/Reigns/Ambrose as that's what came out on RAW last night.

Killz

Reaction score

Yeah I think the show was telling. Henry/Show are solid ring hands who can go in multi-man matches, sell a promo and even be contenders. Bryan is your main guy. Dolph is someone the crowd would get behind and might benefit from Sheamus and Cena being out the most.

There's arguably spots open in the WHC scene too so look for the likes of Rhodes and Sandow between them to have the programs post-any RVD/ADR program. So Dolph and Rhodes mainly, just fill in any gaps with the already established Henry/Show/Punk. You can't build a contender in 4 months anyway, not with the RAW main event program as it is, so they'll just use established guys.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh

Honestly, probably no one. While Sheamus is a big face he hasn't been a main event figure for a long time, so his absence won't even be that noticeable. And as for Cena, I doubt he'll miss any longer than three months. In that time frame they'll probably still be going through the thing between Bryan and Orton.

I guess it depends on where they go with this whole storyline. If they keep the focus on Bryan as the main babyface then I don't see anyone else making a breakthrough. If he isn't, then I could possibly see Ziggler get a chance at the WWE title, since he's been one of the first faces to speak out against the McMahon's. I'm sure a few more established stars will also be involved like Big Show, but never really as the focal point.

It should be an opportunity to push a few more guys, but I just don't see it happening.

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige

They will keep Bryan as a top guy for a few months until the ratings tank again, then pay Lesnar and Jericho to show more dates to reverse the damage.

Pay Batista to come back and rehash an Evolution angle.

Profit.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG

Besides the obvious in Bryan and Punk being the top 2 faces on the roster I think we'll see Dolph pushed more into the title scene. Could see him in a mini feud with Orton at some point if Orton is getting a long term reign. If there was ever a time to start putting in your best work as a face to prove yourself to move up the card now is as good of a time as any that is for sure.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2

First off Orton left no hole to be filled.

Cena is being replaced by DB that's been made pretty clear. DB was on the back burner with the tag division so no need to replace him.

Sheamus left and nobody noticed so no replacing their either.

Not to mention we have RVD and Ryback both in bigger roles as of late.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Yeah, I don't see this as a big deal really. Sheamus wasn't doing shit and Orton hardly was, Cena is being replaced by Bryan the next few months. Don't think we'll see anyone else really get pushed to the main event scene that wasn't already there.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

The one thing about "stepping up" has really nothing to do with what you are going to do on TV, it's more about who is going to be the guy carrying houseshows and the guy who will take over in merch sales.

You can't just put anyone on the marquee and sell it out. WWE doesn't have many unit movers outside of 3-4 key talents. Can dust off Rey and hope his body can take it. Or seeing as kids love masks, you can slap a mask back on Sami Zayn and hope Generico masks will go off the shelves. Because Sin Cara...let's face it. I don't think they will be resigning him after his contract is over.

Push Miz, hardcore fans may not like him, but the dude has a bigger social media following than most of the guys on the roster. Could try take that and use it to sell some shit. He just needs credibility, I would tell him to get into a fight with someone who is a legit tough guy.

Reaction score
Daniel Bryan #1 face
CM Punk # 2 Face
Dolph Ziggler should be pushed as a top face give him Sheamus spot.
And Cody Rhodes should get a push aswell

They have no superstar power

Also has Miz in a nice mid card spot that can pushed up at any time. Kane can be called in anytime. Plus hopefully it means there tag and IC/US Womens etc can get more shine

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar

I don't know if I'm just hearing things but Ziggler gets a pretty good fucking pop every time he makes his entrance.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

First off Orton left no hole to be filled.

Cena is being replaced by DB that's been made pretty clear. DB was on the back burner with the tag division so no need to replace him.

Sheamus left and nobody noticed so no replacing their either.

Not to mention we have RVD and Ryback both in bigger roles as of late.

Orton and Sheamus were two of the main faces over on Smackdown so someone has to fill their roles. Christian has been used a lot more in the title scene over there and RVD is seemingly going to be used there as well but will someone else get a chance for the rest of the year. Going forward someone obviously has to fill the face roles left by three of the top four faces in the company, the question is whether it will be anyone new or if WWE will solely use older hands like Christian/RVD/Henry/Show etc. Yes Orton is still around and will be taking a more prominent role on RAW but that still leaves Smackdown missing another big name.

AF.

Reaction score

I know it sounds wrong but I love it when a few of the top dogs get injured. It's one of the only times WWE actually pushes young talent.