BTB Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sykotic

Reaction score
How much is your BTB story driven and how much of it is match/wrestling driven?

For something like WCW or WWE, I could have a looser booking plan. For something like Lucha Underground, I need to be very precise in how I book.

I’m quite the opposite as I like to book long term stories into the WWE. I feel when done right the journey of every story is better than booking on the fly

Gardsy

Reaction score
This is going to sound so wanky. Fair warning :).

So I'm starting something seriously for the first time in nearly ten years - and not just something I wanted to try on a whim. I'm currently planning through it and trying to focus on the idea of: if it's not a "Fuck Yes" I want to write this - it's a no. So I had an idea for a match that I wasn't excited to write - it wasn't that it felt like a grind to write, but I couldn't find a character piece to bring out of it, or a cool match of styles, or just an exciting viewpoint. I take of the view of "I'm excited about this because..." and if I can't find a compelling reason, it's a change of plans.

This is because - if I, as the person closest to it, don't find it fun or exciting, the person reading will not. So what's the point. That's my perspective at the moment, so you likely will never see me post anything further ahah!

Roy Mustang

Reaction score
So, just to start some conversation. How to people go about their booking? How far do they plan in advance?

I use EWR which throws up curveballs but I generally have the main things locked in up to WrestleMania in my BTB. A couple of big things have already changed though.

I like to be kept on my toes.

So I do the same pretty much. I book the major stuff till Wrestlemania and I have the majority of my WM 37 card in mind already but will change if things aren't working or something better comes up as I book / EWR injuries causing a change of plan

Joey Bananas

Reaction score
How much is your BTB story driven and how much of it is match/wrestling driven?

For something like WCW or WWE, I could have a looser booking plan. For something like Lucha Underground, I need to be very precise in how I book.

Mostly story driven, I’ve never been good at writing matches but I love planning out angles and stuff.

On TEW, however, it’s mostly match driven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
Really enjoyed what I've read of other people's projects this evening. Didn't realise how much great new content we have here. Going to have to spend a number of evenings trying to catch up and expect I wont be able to give comments for every show - unless I want to get lost back in time forever.

Stojy

Reaction score
This is going to sound so wanky. Fair warning :).

So I'm starting something seriously for the first time in nearly ten years - and not just something I wanted to try on a whim. I'm currently planning through it and trying to focus on the idea of: if it's not a "Fuck Yes" I want to write this - it's a no. So I had an idea for a match that I wasn't excited to write - it wasn't that it felt like a grind to write, but I couldn't find a character piece to bring out of it, or a cool match of styles, or just an exciting viewpoint. I take of the view of "I'm excited about this because..." and if I can't find a compelling reason, it's a change of plans.

This is because - if I, as the person closest to it, don't find it fun or exciting, the person reading will not. So what's the point. That's my perspective at the moment, so you likely will never see me post anything further ahah!
Honestly, this is pretty normal if you're just picking up any wrestling company from any standpoint. There is always going to be stuff you don't like, or an initial point where you're building blocks and not every angle could be white hot.

If it's that much of a blocker, could always look at some monthly recaps with minimal detail to get you to the point you want to be at. Or you can book a created fed where you can just start things exactly as you want them.

Known you for so long and think this may be the first time we've traded advice without insults thrown in. <3 Why am I growing up?

Reactions: Gardsy

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Something I'd really like to see more of is a "fantasy" booking that's more in the vein of "what if this thing were to unexpectedly happen"? Like, a look at what would realistically happen in the aftermath of a certain event, that could go badly for the company as well as go well

I think @Tyronesaurus24 's "Mabel wins WWE title in 1995" point of divergence as well as @Dubb 's "Scott Hall moves to WCW earlier" has high potential for things like this. The entire year of 1995 is pretty much one big shatterpoint when I think about it

Reactions: The ScapeDubb

The ScapeDubb

Cry me a river
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jeffjarrett
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Sports Team
carolinahurricanes
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
Something I'd really like to see more of is a "fantasy" booking that's more in the vein of "what if this thing were to unexpectedly happen"? Like, a look at what would realistically happen in the aftermath of a certain event, that could go badly for the company as well as go well

I think @Tyronesaurus24 's "Mabel wins WWE title in 1995" point of divergence as well as @Dubb 's "Scott Hall moves to WCW earlier" has high potential for things like this. The entire year of 1995 is pretty much one big shatterpoint when I think about it

Thanks for the shout. Those types of things are big interest points for me as well. For some reason, a lot of my ideas involve around "what if this happened instead of this other thing happening." For example, another one of my more successful projects that I will probably eventually bring over here is a WWF 1993 where Sting steps off the helicopter on July 4th on the U.S.S. Intrepid instead of Lex Luger (apparently I like replacing Lex Luger in things).

Order

Send HOOK
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
batista
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
Maybe this is some sort of scenario challenge we could do monthly or something with a winner.

Brock Lesnar didn't beat Undertaker but his streak did end. Rebook the storyline which would result in him losing the record.

Just one example but there's plenty more.

Sykotic

Reaction score
Thanks for the shout. Those types of things are big interest points for me as well. For some reason, a lot of my ideas involve around "what if this happened instead of this other thing happening." For example, another one of my more successful projects that I will probably eventually bring over here is a WWF 1993 where Sting steps off the helicopter on July 4th on the U.S.S. Intrepid instead of Lex Luger (apparently I like replacing Lex Luger in things).

May as well go for the trifecta…

“What if Lex Luger was the third man?”

• Haha
Reactions: The ScapeDubb

RDT

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Maybe this is some sort of scenario challenge we could do monthly or something with a winner.

Brock Lesnar didn't beat Undertaker but his streak did end. Rebook the storyline which would result in him losing the record.

Just one example but there's plenty more.
I always felt I had a good idea for this thought!

Reactions: Order

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
Focusing on catching up with a handful of projects at a time - attempting to read all at once ive realised is just madness.

image00-1.jpg

Reactions: Stojy

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
To all ECW 2001 BTB bookers which wrestler not on the roster would you like to bring in? I think someone like Buff Bagwell would be a nice addition especially in The Network.