Brock Lesnar says Vince McMahon is a better promoter than Dana White

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dirtsheet

Jobber
Reaction score
Having worked for both the WWE and UFC, Brock Lesnar believes he knows which brash frontman is better at the job of pushing his product to the public.

Lesnar was asked about a recent Twitter exchange between UFC President Dana White and a fan while interviewed on ESPN’s SportsCenter this morning. In the exchange, White fired back at the fan after he referenced the $9.99 cost for WWE Network, which grants access to all WWE pay-per-views live, and compared it to the $59.99 cost of the Ronda Rousey-headlined UFC 190.

White repeatedly called WWE fake while saying, “Fake sh-t should be $9.99.”

When asked about White’s comments, Lesnar’s response was simple: Everybody knows it’s fake.

“Of course, Dana, it’s fake,” Lesnar said. “Everybody knows that, but it’s still the same – you’re promoting the same thing we’re promoting. Dana White is promoting fights, we’re promoting fights. It just so happens that we get a little more longevity out of our fight and out of our fighters because of the circumstances.

“Dana, probably in his defense, is promoting fighting – but it’s the same thing. He’s trying to sell pay-per-views. He’s trying to sell money fights. It’s the same racket.”

Lesnar said he believes WWE CEO Vince McMahon is a better promoter than White when pressed a bit more on the difference between the two.

“The business model is the same; it’s identical. I think Vince McMahon’s better at it than Dana, and that might rub Dana the wrong way.

“Vince is the pioneer of it. He’s been doing this his whole life, and he’s damned good at it.”

Source

:gtfo: Dana

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
LOL, I remember this Dana White vs Pro-Wrestling feud from a couple of weeks ago. Fun stuff.

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
Let's not forget that Dana just happened to talk shit the day of one of his PPV's. I'm not entirely sure it worked in the sense of bagging him a few extra buys.
Also, their version of the network, Fight Pass, is pretty garbage. Live PPV's aren't available in some countries due to contracts they have with TV companies they have in those countries, so essentially those people pay for old PPV's and twenty-something seasons of TUF.... no thanks.

I totally digress, Brock has a point- Vince has been doing this way longer than Dana, so he should be better at it.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Brock is right on all accounts. UFC is real and WWE is 'fake', but they both still seek to entertain and draw money. The reason anyone watches anything (other than for possible educational purposes) is to be entertained, whether the product is 'real' or not.

And yes, when it comes to track record, Vince McMahon is arguably the greatest promoter that's ever lived. But in all fairness, Vince is also in a naturally more popular industry than White is. Pro wrestling has consistently been one of the most popular things on television going back to the days of Georgia Championship Wrestling. It's also easier to manipulate storylines and characters and make things more interesting when it comes to pro wrestling/sports-entertainment, you can't do that with a real sport like UFC. Sure, guys exaggerate the beefs they claim to have with one another and they may even straight-out fabricate them for the sake of promoting a fight and making it more intriguing, but it still has a lot of limitations that WWE doesn't. Still two very different types of industries despite a few similarities.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Vince is a better promoter than Dana. He's a veteran. This isn't saying Dana is bad at it At all, he's very good. Ufc wouldn't be as big as it is if that wasnt the case. I feel that in some ways ufc also has a huge advantage over WWE in terms of selling the product simply because ufc is "real" fighting.

"real" fighting is easier to sell to a big group of people as opposed to a scripted fight.

The only real exception is if the group you're trying to sell to already love pro wrestling; then, it would be very hard to push the ufc product over WWE

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Vince is a better promoter than Dana. He's a veteran. This isn't saying Dana is bad at it At all, he's very good. Ufc wouldn't be as big as it is if that wasnt the case. I feel that in some ways ufc also has a huge advantage over WWE in terms of selling the product simply because ufc is "real" fighting.

"real" fighting is easier to sell to a big group of people as opposed to a scripted fight.

The only real exception is if the group you're trying to sell to already love pro wrestling; then, it would be very hard to push the ufc product over WWE

Why? Just because something is real doesn't mean people are more inclined to like it better. I feel that's a pretty ill-fated assumption. 99.9% of things on television aren't real.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Why? Just because something is real doesn't mean people are more inclined to like it better. I feel that's a pretty ill-fated assumption. 99.9% of things on television aren't real.
Every movie, TV show, etc., keep going more towards "realism;" hell, even superhero movies do this. That was nolans goal with the dark knight.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Every movie, TV show, etc., keep going more towards "realism;" hell, even superhero movies do this. That was nolans goal with the dark knight.

Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy still required a huge suspension of disbelief in most ways. So does the average movie and television show. The two most popular shows on television (The Walking Dead and Game Of Thrones) are both packed full of fantastical elements.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
What's this crap?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 15

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
This site keeps saying I'm blocked when trying to reply

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
What's this crap?

Firewall is blocking you. I'll search for the log when I get home.
Or if it happens again, quote the "Ray ID" at the bottom of the page and send to me. Much easier to find it then.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
CloudFlare Ray ID: 21871156090809d0Your IP: 2600:1008:b10c:6795:5052:88e4:8169:1577Performance & security by CloudFlare