Breaking News: Joey Styles Off The ECW Announce Team

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CenaMark54

I knew Adamle was going to be bad... But damn, he was terrible! He didn't know the names of the wrestlers, he didn't know the names of some of the wrestlers, and you could barely hear him because he was almost whispering.

WHY, WWE, WHY?

He didn't even know his announcing partners name. I'm pretty sure he called him The Tazz.

He also said, "Kofi Jamacian Me Crazy"

He called something a "foot kick"

1chiban

Reaction score
Oh I can't wait to see this carcrash when it's broadcast here in the Uk tomorrow night. For some reason though, I feel like this move was putting Styles out of his misery. He shouldn't be sat there reeling off JR-esque catchphrases. He was an excellent play-by-play man in ECW who knew the names to every single move. Wouldn't be surprised if this has come in response to Styles saying something to management about having to commentate like he had to.

Adalme or whatever his name is, called a move a 'foot kick.' Enough said right there.

Reaction score
This sucks, Joey and Tazz were my favorite commentary in the whole of the WWE. They're taking everything good off ECW now.

1chiban

Reaction score
Averagely decent play on words I suppose. Not for WWE television though.

C4

Joey Styles wasn't really that great of an announcer on ECW, his biggest problem was that he couldn't portray a situation as being huge. Remember at WrestleMania when CM Punk won the Money in the Bank, Joey made it look like CM Punk did nothing at all. He does this same think a lot of times on ECW as well, he should learn from JR and should be able to make a situation look bigger than it already is.

He was a Blue announcer who was just involved with WWE because he had some little history with ECW and was picked by Paul Heyman. But for Joey all I can say is: "Ohhhhh mmyyy Gawwwdddd, yyoou are fired!" :ermm:

WFS2008

Reaction score
ECW was fine when they first relaunched it, I was expecting something along the lines of ECW on TNN to begin with (you cant do the extreme crap on network tv like you can on a ppv). I liked the fact that they were giving guys like CM Punk air time (and bringing in some of the older guys like Test to ECW). Now though I just dont see the point of the ECW.

OsamaHussian

Reaction score
Here's a update on the Joey Styles' to WWE.com story...

As reported yesterday, Joey Styles has been removed from the ECW announce team and will now work with WWE.com. The decision was apparently made quickly on Friday and most people backstage at the Smackdown/ECW taping last night were surprised to hear about it.

Styles will not be "Head of WWE.com" as stated on TV last night. Brian Kalinowski will continue to be in charge of the website, and Styles will report to him as an editor of sorts. Michael Cole had a similar role with WWE.com but gave that responsibility up earlier this year. Styles will be responsible for most of the content on WWE.com from now on.

Styles will continue to travel with the company to all the televised events but will also work in the WWE.com Stamford offices now. Styles apparently told some last night that he will be in charge of tightening up the website and making sure that errors such as the posting of photographs on Monday of people who may or may not be in next week's King Of The Ring tournament on Raw no longer happen.

At live events, he will continue to sit in on production and creative meetings so he knows what is going on and can use that knowledge on WWE.com. The new job gives Styles more responsibility than he had before.

Styles was said to be excited about the new job yesterday.

As for why he was removed from the ECW announce team, part of it was because WWE is paying Mike Adamle a lot of money and wanted to use him in a bigger role. But also, Vince McMahon has never been too crazy about Styles' work.

Credit: PWInsider.com

Vince McMahon has never been too crazy about Styles' work.

Even if Vince isn't crazy about Styles, he's MUCH better than Adamle. ECW was painful, PAINFUL to listen too. God, Coach isn't even that bad...

bobbydiva

Reaction score
Why Mike Adamle Got The Job & Styles' New Position

Source: http://wrestlingtruth.com

If you watched ECW you will have noticed that Mike Adamle, who has been a backstage interviewer for a few months now, has taken Joey Styles' announcing seat.

Adamle is a famous announcer with strong sports credentials and has worked for NBC Sports, NFL and the first American Gladiators. He was first used under the WWE banner with the defunct XFL owned by Vince McMahon. Kevin Dunne was the main man behind his signing and thinks Adamle can bring a more credible approach to calling WWE programming, despite being 58 (older than JR) and not a wrestling fan previously. Because of his impressive resume he makes $300,000 a year and would have done even if he was still being used sparingly backstage.

A lot of people in the company saw his first performance on ECW last night like the fans did, "painful" although Kevin Dunne's political stroke is likely to hold Adamle's position for at least a few more weeks.

The decision was only made last Friday and as noted many times, Vince McMahon has never been a fan of Joey Styles, feeling he calls the moves as opposed to selling the product and the storyline which Vince wants. This has come as a small shock internally because Styles has improved significantly in the WWE style of announcing. It comes down to Joey not having any political stroke or major supporters backing him up.

Styles' new job is heading up WWE.com although he still has a manager above him to answer to. WWE feel styles has the industry knowledge to know what should and shouldn't go on WWE.com, keeping in check embarrassing things like photo captions of WWE stars in Japan shaking hands with legendary Japanese wrestlers and calling them "Japanese fans," or the humorous postings in the "Industry News" section where news from independent sites like this one are rehashed despite it being about WWE (you think they'd know what is going on in their own company). This is by no means a step down for Styles but just an embarrassing reshuffle. He actually has more responsibilities than before and will have more chance to network with the higher-ups.

That ECW episode was painful!

eggthief

Reaction score
I kinda liked him, JR for example sounds as vague as my demented cat looks like and Mike Adamle was very energetic, though I think that it would have been better to let him replace coach.

Adampro123

Reaction score
I remember when Adamle said this...oh yeah while the rin announcer was talking.

"From......Kingston....umm....Jamaica....kofi."

we could just do a whole thread about Adamle messing up or sounding like a idiot.

and as for you guys who bitch about ECW not being what it used to be.
ITS NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE AND NEVER WILL BE!
Get over it. ECW is still a great show. just don't wish for stuff of the past and move on and get with the time. ECW is different now. its just a 3rd brand of WWE and there show is usually great each week (minus mike adamle)

dlw2711

Reaction score
I don't remember Adamle saying too much about the move names except for "uppercut", but then again, that 8-man tag at the beginning was his first wrestling match called. At least he called Shelton Benjamin "The Gold Standard". However, he did start to say "Mike" and then caught himself and said "The Miz".

I noticed for the first time that Adamle actually sounds similar to Styles, so I didn't mind it much. And by the way, that "Jamaican Me Crazy" line was the first time humor was attempted by a WWE announcer since The King wore 3D glasses for the first HD show, which got JR to say "HD, not 3D".

Adamle will improve, but we're all going to miss Styles.

Tazz (when he first heard that Joey Styles won't be his announce partner): OH MY GAWD!

This Guy

So there you go, I was partly right. It is a promotion, he wasn't fired or removed. He took on a larger role and a larger responsibility. He is still traveling so I was wrong on that, but otherwise I was right on the money. I just laugh at most of you because you always freak out thinking the worse.