Box Office

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I think part of the theory is that those blockbusters are already successful enough without getting awards recnition.

Trouble is Troy most of the films you mentioned are not good popcorn flicks. The Hangover movies are just repeating the teen blueprint from such 80s movies as Animal House and Brachor Party, films which weren't that good to begin with but at least served a purpose at the time. It is not a genre which ages well and these films are just sexist and unfunny.

F&F is just a dated 70s/80s style action film, which comes across as "can you top this cinema" with no sense of character or narrative. And with the exception of the fact they have made money, tell me why world needs six of the damn things?

Star Trek is the one I would stick up for as JJA did a good job with the first one and as of yet it has not out stayed its welcome.

I think you don't know the definition of Popcorn Flick.

1. popcorn movie

a summer action flick, not monumental, a good waste of time
Van Helsing was such a popcorn movie.

2. Popcorn Movie

A movie is garanteed to be, "eh". One that is sure not to win any awards. One only goes to see it as a excuse to eat popcorn and other junk food with friends. Sometimes with the intention of insulting it afterword.

Also, a movie that is overly advertised in theatre previews that you get the taste memory of popcorn in your mouth when you see the commercial on t.v.

And as far as them repeating movies before them that's what hollywood does I mean hell all the movies in the conversation Star Trek, Hangover, FF. Their all sequels of themselves so they're already repeated even if you don't take into account the movies they use as a template.

If you want a good movie go watch the upper budget Indie movies, but don't expect anyone else to have seen them and don't expect them to get many awards.

Awards go to high budget movies that aren't popcorn flicks. Sometimes a lucky popcorn flick gets one sometimes a very lucky Indie film does but thats rare.

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
SYCHpSi.png

Very good opening for Fast & Furious 6, surpassing what Fast Five did.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
One of the top half dozen weekends of all time thanks to three big openings and three good holds. Fast Six is pulling in massive numbers worldwide as well, it's worldwide opening was around $275 million. Glad that Star Trek held on quite well, it is a really enjoyable movie but I was worried that with all the other new competition it would drop faster. Very happy that Baz Luhrmann is finally having financial success in the US, his previous biggest was only around $60 million and Gatsby will easily double that.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I think you don't know the definition of Popcorn Flick.

And as far as them repeating movies before them that's what hollywood does I mean hell all the movies in the conversation Star Trek, Hangover, FF. Their all sequels of themselves so they're already repeated even if you don't take into account the movies they use as a template.

If you want a good movie go watch the upper budget Indie movies, but don't expect anyone else to have seen them and don't expect them to get many awards.

Awards go to high budget movies that aren't popcorn flicks. Sometimes a lucky popcorn flick gets one sometimes a very lucky Indie film does but thats rare.

1. Yes I do know what a popcorn movie is with Jaws being a classic example, I also know what a good and bad popcorn movie is which is part of my point.

2. You are really misguided about indie films not winning awards. In recent years the likes of There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men and Black Swan have all had success on at the major awards, would you not call them indies? Besides this year the likes of Mud and The Place Beyond the Pines have both done good box office and both can be considered low budget indie flicks.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
A good popcorn movie in my opinion is a movie that's "fun to watch" per se, but you wouldn't call it a great movie. I wouldn't consider Jaws a popcorn flick at all.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
A good popcorn movie in my opinion is a movie that's "fun to watch" per se, but you wouldn't call it a great movie. I wouldn't consider Jaws a popcorn flick at all.

I think they are films which just wash over you leaving very little lasting impression, I don't agree that they have to be bad. Guilty pleasure and popcorn flick are not the same. I used Jaws as a example because Spielberg is at his best when dipping into the adventure, b-movie market.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I have to say I did enjoy Black Swan. Very interesting flick. No Country for Old Men... sweeeeeeet.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
1. Yes I do know what a popcorn movie is with Jaws being a classic example, I also know what a good and bad popcorn movie is which is part of my point.

2. You are really misguided about indie films not winning awards. In recent years the likes of There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men and Black Swan have all had success on at the major awards, would you not call them indies? Besides this year the likes of Mud and The Place Beyond the Pines have both done good box office and both can be considered low budget indie flicks.

No those aren't Indie movies they were produced with major studio backing. Just because they were made cheapily doesn't mean it's Indie.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Anyway back to Box Office talk, if someone wants to start a thread discussing the defintion of popcorn movie then feel free to do so.

After four days Fast Six is up to $120 million and Hangover III just $51 million. I am stunned at how big the Fast and Furious series has become, it is now one of the biggest franchises out there.

Next week two movies open wide After Earth and Now You See Me. After Earth stars Jaden and Will Smith and is reportedly based on an idea that Will Smith himself came up with, seen a trailer for it and it isn't for me. Now You See Me is different as it is about a group of illusionists pulling off bank heists, interesting concept and it is a movie that I will most likely go and watch.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Anyway back to Box Office talk, if someone wants to start a thread discussing the defintion of popcorn movie then feel free to do so.

After four days Fast Six is up to $120 million and Hangover III just $51 million. I am stunned at how big the Fast and Furious series has become, it is now one of the biggest franchises out there.

Next week two movies open wide After Earth and Now You See Me. After Earth stars Jaden and Will Smith and is reportedly based on an idea that Will Smith himself came up with, seen a trailer for it and it isn't for me. Now You See Me is different as it is about a group of illusionists pulling off bank heists, interesting concept and it is a movie that I will most likely go and watch.

Your a smooth devil Troy, really you should work in radio, just as I was about to jump back in and explain that there is more to being an indie film than just the budget you swept the carpet back from under me!

The Will Smith project could go either way, have not been too impressed with his recent work, sometimes personal projects can be a bit over indulgent, but will wait and hear more about the premise. Not as taken as others here seem to be with the Now You see one. Just sounds a typical setup but with magic added which sounds to me like it will become a bit too gimmicky. However I again will wait and to learn more and then might still give it a go.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Re: Currently Watching 2.0

0y2BXQg.png

Very poor opening for After Earth, but according to reviews, it isn't good. Still expected it to do better, but I'm happy that Now You See Me opened better than expected, though I didn't get around to seeing it like I planned to.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
That is a pretty terrible start for After Earth. It used to be that if Will Smith was in a film it would a license to print money but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. The fact that he has been out of the spotlight for quite a few years and hasn't released many movies must have hurt the response. The movie didn't look that appealing anyway and seemed to be a vehicle just to make Jaden Smith into an action star.

Pleasantly surprised at how well No You See Me did, magic movies haven't had the best run lately so it is nice to see one succeed. It comes out this week in Australia so I should see it this weekend.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
K4ymsTz.png

Pretty good start for The Purge. I haven't seen it, but it doesn't look to be all that, regardless, not a bad start all all for it.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
K4ymsTz.png

Pretty good start for The Purge. I haven't seen it, but it doesn't look to be all that, regardless, not a bad start all all for it.

Yeah horrors no matter how bad tend to always do well at least with the teen crowd.